Happy Solstice Season!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Hey you northern hemisphere people; it's that time of year when nights start getting shorter, days start getting longer, and the promise of Springs warmth is but a few months away.

Those north of here have it worse, but our nights are 16 hours long right now and gravel casts a long shadow at midday.

Most people celebrate Christmas, and I'm more than happy to get time off work :thumb: but as a 99.99% Atheist leaning Agnostic who sometimes perceives Animistic Whisperings, this is the time of year I appreciate most as we spin around our Sun. Sort of like Christmas and New Years all rolled up together.

Some of you may know I'm a letter carrier with Canada Post, so given my personal/singular World View and the crazy build up in mail volumes at Christmas time I had to laugh at this:

Attachments

• Image 2019-12-15 at 10.46 PM.jpg
    Image 2019-12-15 at 10.46 PM.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
I am not sure I see how Christmas "goes against their beliefs?"

It is simply not something they believe in.

Murray, I don't know about all the rest of it, but I'm also very happy to see Solstice. As an early riser each morning, here's to the days getting longer and getting up at first light! :thumb:

Ted

Is a virgin necessary to celebrate ?

The condos around this marina has very high populations of Jewish people and many have Christmas trees.

I am not sure I see how Christmas "goes against their beliefs?"

It is simply not something they believe in.

I didn't take it literally, as it's supposed to be funny :D

We have a tree too, and a wreath, both of which go waaaaay back in time.

I break winter into smaller pieces in order to get through it. Generally a trip to Hawaii or Florida or South Texas thrown in help.

From Jan. 1 on I start counting down days since I generally begin to work and sometimes stay overnight on the boat in 100 days from Jan 1, around April 15. Usually launch around May 1.

So in about 2 weeks I'll start my countdown.

pete

I didn't take it literally, as it's supposed to be funny :D

We have a tree too, and a wreath, both of which go waaaaay back in time.
So you admit to culturally appropriating "my" holiday...

[emoji1]

I'm not politically aligned with the vast majority of Seattle people but one thing they do that I enjoy watching is the Seattle Summer Solstice Parade. It's a fun parade that's all human powered on bikes, on their own two feet, and on floats pulled by people--most of the nude with an assortment of body paint. Thousands of your friends and neighbors, and the cops turn a blind eye to the fun.

If you want to see what it's all about, go to Google, type in Seattle Summer Solstice Parade then click on the "Images" icon at the top of the page. It's way more fun than watching YouTube vids on how to make a better gadget.

You got me all excited with the first post in the thread, then I glanced at a calendar. Let's talk about this on the 21st.... lol.

Interesting bit of Xmas trivia. The timing of Christmas was purposeful as no one knows when Christ was born. Easter is a moon celebration, Good Friday is the first friday after the full moon after the spring equinox, why the holiday bounces around, moon dependent.

Christmas was suppose to be celebrated on the first day after the shortest light day of the year, the coming of the sun/son..... But apparently when the 25th was chosen, the Roman calendar was three days off in its calculation of the shortest light day. So if Christmas were to be celebrated in the spirit intended, Xmas day would be on the 22nd of December.

Our boating will be on both sides of the Solstice. We did the Lighted Boat Parade on Dec 6&7 and that's always our last cruise of the year. Then we kick off the new year with a January 1 cruise. A great way to kick off the year.

Y'all, regarding Christmas, the date doesn't really matter.

Love your neighbor.

Amen, Menzies.

I wish our country could get off its hatred of those who don't agree with your point of view.

No Christmas tree - not due to religious or philosophical concerns - cats.

No room on the boat, no Christmas tree.

The longest night of the year is here!

Much magic happening now.

I’ve always wanted to see the northern lights, mother grow up on a North Dakota farm and would see you them from the front porch during fall.

Perhaps a trip up to Yellowknife is in my future.

https://www.travelyukon.com/en/thin...hern-lights?asset=2651-ig-1467669375931043415

I saw them when I worked in High Level Alberta. I called the other guys out to see them too. The poop-heads were used to seeing them so they didn't even get up from their chairs. The colors of the northern lights were VERY vivid.

I’ve seen the lights as far south as Toronto....you could even hear then crackling...in Vancouver area now...lucky if you see snow

Trawler Rentals in the Vancover,BC area

We're looking to rent a barebone 38 to 45 ft. Trawler around the Vancover area this summer to cruise part of the Inland Passage. We cruise the Delta and San Francisco region in our CHB and want to explore the Northwest Coast.
Any suggestions of some rental companies?
Golden Dragon Too

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom