Leaking above salon windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Second Life
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 46
We have a mysterious leak above the salon windows on both sides of our 1985 Grand Banks 46. It travels down the curtain tracks and is well above the windows themselves. Nasty brown water running the interior teak... Can't find anything obvious up on the flybridge floor or anywhere else. Maybe inside the tubes that drain the bridge?
Wondering if anyone else has run into this and found the source.

Yes and very good chance you have a leaky flybridge.

I stopped mine by gluing down the flybridge fairing, taking off the real decks, removing the built in seating, rebedding the rail stations and looking for one exposed access point for water and getting rid of it one way or another.

On my boat, the radar mast was letting in water through a small hole where the radar cable entered, and it was traveling inside the headliner and down the insides of the boat. Covered it with some plumbers putty. Leaks are hard to find, water wanders everywhere...

You might also look for any gear stowed in lockers, under seats that can hold, even a dirt accumulation that can back up water which can then rise to find an opening it would never find otherwise.

If that is part or all of the problem the plastic grating often available from marine stores for decking could be used to provide a drainage path beneath the gear.

Welcome aboard. When you say nasty brown water it makes me think of water that has gotten into the core of the deck and is rotting out the coring. When it leaks out it is usually brown. The bad thing is that it could be coming in from a long distance away from where it comes out. Get a phenolic hammer and tap around the decks on the flybridge and see if there are places that sound dead. If the coring isn’t wet you should get a crisp sound when you tap the deck if the coring is wet it will sound more like a thud than a crisp sound. If you find places that appear wet then you need to find out where the water is getting in. That is the problem, water can travel a long way. Start at the top and look at everything that is screwed into the deck. Most manufacturers do not bed fittings properly. Compass Marine web site has great articles about bedding deck fittings.

I hope not, but also suspect the boat is making "teak tea",evidenced by the brown stained water.

I spent half the summer trying to pinpoint a leak. Lot of trial and error. Turns out it was a part of the window frame that only got wet under certain conditions (heavy spray). Sealed it up and have had no issue. We also had brown water coming from the leak, so are having the window pulled and any damaged coring addressed and resealed by a professional. Good luck and happy hunting.

If you have a teak flybridge, look no further. Water gets in through the screws, even if you can't see them. It will also infiltrate through any crack in or between the teak boards. If the water is stained you already have some rot. Sealing the teak will stop the leaks but you have water under it. Time to rip it out, sorry

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom