Battery Charger Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjm911

Vessel Name
Sea Glass
Vessel Make
DeFever 49 CPMY
I need to replace my battery charger - charger only, not charger/inverter. It will be used to charge three 8D lead-acid starter batteries. I am considering the following:
- Sterling ProCharge 60 Amps
- Victron Centaur 12/60
- ProNautic1260P.

Any recommendations on the above three options?

I considered at the Newmar PT-60 but it appears to be three times the cost of the above units.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FWIW, the Sterling and the ProMariner are essentially the same unit. Shared development, something like that...

We have two ProMariner chargers; one the original pre-ProNautic charger, still working fine; the other a newer inverter/charger, seems to work fine.

-Chris

I am all over the Promariner chargers...mine has been reliable and the info from the panel LEDs is great for info/troubleshooting (though nothing has gone wrong in 3 years.

I am all over the Promariner chargers...mine has been reliable and the info from the panel LEDs is great for info/troubleshooting (though nothing has gone wrong in 3 years.
+1, I replace my old charger with a sterling same as promariner and it is working like a charm.

L

I have a Promariner 1250P that works great. They have excellent customer service too. I thought mine had a problem, but it turns out it was the way the PO wired it.

60 amps seems like overkill (by a factor of 2) for starting batteries. 25 or 30 amps is quite adequate for 8Ds in that application. The PT 60 is a 24 volt charger by the way. NewMar's PT 25 would be about perfect, or you can go the 40 if you are paranoid.

The hassle is if one batt bites the dust , a single charger may overcharge the other batts and boil out their water.

An individual battery charger for each batt is safe , tho the tiny output is to keep them charged not help with engine starting.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Supersma...MIl8-M1fqv5gIVFJSzCh0XggvdEAQYAyABEgLZKvD_BwE

He's looking at 3 bank chargers, as he should.

Starting batteries on oft used boats don't really need a charger, and most small boats don't have one.... nor does the typical car or truck. A 60 amp charger is more appropriate for a large deep cycle house bank that gets drawn down heavily.

I've had a 1250P for an uneventful year. No complaints t a). But, I can't speak for the long term. One bank per start battery, 2 engines + Gender.

Back
Top Bottom