View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #69
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
FWIW Art, and Marin, I often wondered about the wisdom of what Art is suggesting, and in doing so I have observed just how long it takes for oil pressure to come up to anything like normal pressure - the sort of level one would need to do what Art is saying, and frankly I doubt it ever would just cranking with the starter. I know for a fact it will not even register on the oil pressure gauge just cranking on my FL120, because for a while I thought I was doing it a favour doing that (cranking it without starting for a minute or so to spread oil round the engine), instead of just running it in the slip occasionally if I could not go out. The consensus was it was not really effective, generally, and running the engine up to temp gave a better chance to pick leaks etc. It certainly never registered on the oil gauge, so I can't really see any it would save any cold start up wear. Even on a gas engine I doubt it really helps Art. So, I agree with Marin there.
I'd back Bi-Tron, or Castrol Magnatec to be a better protection, because it is there already, coating the metal from the last time the engine was run. So do research the Bi-Tron thing. Yes it is in the US - it was developed and started there. Have a look at this site below, but no, I am no longer selling it, because my network evaporated, but I was sure impressed with it and see Magnatec as a near equivalent. It could well be a better way of protecting your vintage and veteran vehicle engines that cold cranking in my opionion.
Bi-Tron - 21st Century Technology
Peter - I know not what your FL120 diesel engines would reach for oil pressure (except that you say it is negligible) during starter actuated oil pressure pre-lube. But, I do know that each of my classic gas engines' oil gauges (boat and car) do register good levels of oil pressure with the starter actuated pre-lubes. I am closely researching the Bi-Tron as well as Castrol Magnatec you mentioned. In however it is accomplished, I believe it is important to have a good barrier-lube-coating on bearings' surfaces prior to starting engines from cold (especially after weeks of non-use) and therein placing great torque pressures upon the bearing surfaces! Different strokes for different folks!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote