Holiday Parades? I'm thinking of using RTF's boat for ours...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Any TF'rs participating in the upcoming holiday parades? Anybody in my area, Jupiter/West Palm? I believe Donna did well in the Treasure Coast one last year. RTF isn't in town so I'm thinking about lightin' up his boat and taking it for a spin for the Fort Lauderdale parade... He'll never notice....

If a dozen boats makes a parade, and if the weather cooperates, yes I'll be participating in the Edenton NC Christmas Flotilla this Friday. I'll post pix when we get the Commander decorated.

As far as Christmas lights go, two boats is a parade. Shoot...one is a parade as long as it's towing a dinghy with a wreath on the bow. 12 boats? A virtual holiday motorcade.

I'll bring a coat hanger so we can jimmy the door.

GFC & I were just at the skippers meeting for our local parade. 20 boats are signed up for the Fri/Sat event.

You say Fri/Sat... you parade two nights in a row?

Yes, it's been a Clover Island YC tradition dating back to 1968.

They graciously allow non members like us to participate. It's a fun way to give back to the community while exercising the MacGyver gene!

I'll try to get a good pic of the boat.

I built our boat's main decoration a couple of years ago and have so much time/effort/money into it I'll probably use it until we sell the boat.

20191204-113002.jpg

Can you tell which football team we favor? It took me about 3 months, working a few hours a week, to design and build it. I added some new blood to organizing the parade this year. We have a partial new route so I called the TV stations to let them know about the route change to get some free publicity.....
https://www.nbcrightnow.com/communi...cle_8510268a-16da-11ea-af11-676228da3626.html

Friday night we'll have about 20 guests on board and Saturday night about 18. It's always a good time for everyone present.

Blowing my own horn here for a second.....

Guess who took first place for the best decorated boat out of the 20 boats that participated in the parade.

We ended up with a placque for first place plus gift cards for $200 from a nice hotel here in town, two dinner certificates for $50 each, another for $20 from a lunch place and another that I didn't look at. (my wife was coveting the gift cards!)

Wifey B: Some of your local parades sound cool. Our parade is a huge event, a corporate one but a large fundraiser. Still some companies and boaters spend $100,000 or more or you can charter a fully decorated boat for 100 of your closest friends for $45,000 or $50,000. There are over 100 boats and between live and tv and internet about 4 million viewers. It's 12 miles long. Lots of balls and other events. We watch but don't participate. It's beautiful, but definitely not a bunch of local boaters getting together and parading. :)

I think Donna had bragging rights last year for her boat display in the St Augustine Boat parade.

Our boat parade isn't quite as elaborate as Ft Lauderdale but the town "Night of Lights display" is consistently in the top 10 displays in the world....

Last edited:
Congratulations Mike! You looked good out there. What a great comeback from the gremlins! I'm still trying to find a good pic of our boat.

We did the San Diego Bay Boat Parade last night. The weather cooperated, and we had dry skies until the last 5 minutes on the way back to the slip. A fun time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Attachments

• IMAGE 12-9-19 AT 2.47 PM.jpg
    IMAGE 12-9-19 AT 2.47 PM.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 53
We did the San Diego Bay Boat Parade last night. The weather cooperated, and we had dry skies until the last 5 minutes on the way back to the slip. A fun time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Good looking crew! Merry Christmas to you

We will be going to the Captains Meeting Friday night and participating in Saturday nights boat parade in Saint James City. Not sure how many boats are signed up this year but the last few years it has been around 20, give or take. We will be lighting up our small boat for the canal parade.

Here are a couple view angles of the boat and a close up of "the old man's major award". Fun was had by all.

Merry Christmas TF!

Attachments

• BP1.jpg
    BP1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 35
  • BP2.jpg
    BP2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 41
  • BP3.jpg
    BP3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 36
I got a photo of our boat from a friend of a friend. Not the highest resolution and he didn't manage to snap the photo with the green light on, but it's not bad.

Beachcomber-2019-Boat-Parade.jpg

We had our boat parade in Colonial Beach, VA (on the Potomac) on the 7th of December. Here is Tatoosh, our 49-ft MT PH. We got 2nd place for this effort. Only 7 boats this year.

Attachments

• 79596421_10218891268447705_7504583076261920768_o.jpg
    79596421_10218891268447705_7504583076261920768_o.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 31
Not our trawler, but our weekend cruiser. Entered it in the Edenton parade for sentimental reasons - the boat was built here in 1969.

8309-albums914-picture5754.jpg

Nice work !!!! Not going to put a pic of LunaSea looking at work you all did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom