Reg’s regarding hull# on stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Coast Guard guys! A recent insurance survey stated that my hull number is absent from the starboard stern area and I’ve been advised on the survey (and subsequently by the insurance carrier) to correct it along with a few other small items. True, during my lengthy mods to install a swim platform, I don’t ever recall seeing it. Do CG regs require it to be in that location? If so, would it be enough to glue on a stamped fiberglass tag.

Additionally, I have the handle on my black water sea cock removed and located in a nearby drawer per what I thought was one of the configurations approved by the CG for waste dump prevention. There’s also a red tag on the sea cock saying “Do not open”. The survey says I should replace the handle. WTF!

Thanks in advance for your valued response.

Last edited:
Replace the handle, if you have a direct discharge Y valve, set the valve to the holding tank and then remove the handle of the Y valve.

A stamped fiberglass tag glued on would be good enough. Even a stainless tag screwed on will pass.

I agree A few years ago I bought an 18' center console power boat that was missing the transom hull number. After some paperwork verifying my ownership the state issued a new hull number for registration purposes and simply gave me a printed adhesive sticker to apply to the transom. I've since replaced it with a nicer bronze plate engraved with the state-issued number. Had a similar occurrence years ago when I brought a sailboat out here from Michigan where MI had gotten the original hull number screwed up somewhere along the way. In that case we were able to find the original factory # and have it re-issued.

These were done through the state (MA); can't say specifically whether USCG would handle the same way, but both boats have been through CG courtesy inspections with no issues noted.
Joe

If I am understanding you correctly, you do have a HIN assigned to your boat but not imprinted on the stern. If this is correct then go to a trophy store and have them make a name tag with the HIN on it. Then screw it onto the starboard side of the transom just below the hull to deck joint.

If I am understanding you correctly, you do have a HIN assigned to your boat but not imprinted on the stern. If this is correct then go to a trophy store and have them make a name tag with the HIN on it. Then screw it onto the starboard side of the transom just below the hull to deck joint.

Correct...I have the assigned hull number in other locations, but not on the stern that I can see. I was actually at a trophy shop yesterday for that purpose, and he told me to bring either a piece of fiberglass, composite, or whatever, but he wouldn’t suggest any of his materials in salt water.

I didn’t imagine I might affix something as high as the hull-deck joint. The surveyor was looking below the swim platform. Maybe some other Of our Manatee members can advise. Bronze, by the way, might be a good idea.

Thanks guys.

On my boat it's a stamped piece of plastic or similar screwed to the hull just below the hull / deck joint on the stbd side of the transom.

Replace the handle, if you have a direct discharge Y valve, set the valve to the holding tank and then remove the handle of the Y valve.

Ah, the y-valve handle, right! Leave it to me to remove something unnecessary.:banghead:

I got the bronze plate I referred to in my earlier post from the WoodenBoat magazine on-line store It's an oval shape about 2.5" wide. I screwed it to the transom with two flathead bronze screws with a dab of 3M5200 under it for good measure.

Bronze is probably overkill if you can find something else durable that can be engraved with the HIN. I just used it because the boat has kind of classic New England skiff lines with some teak and bronze elsewhere on it.
Joe

Correct...I have the assigned hull number in other locations, but not on the stern that I can see. I was actually at a trophy shop yesterday for that purpose, and he told me to bring either a piece of fiberglass, composite, or whatever, but he wouldn’t suggest any of his materials in salt water.

I didn’t imagine I might affix something as high as the hull-deck joint. The surveyor was looking below the swim platform. Maybe some other Of our Manatee members can advise. Bronze, by the way, might be a good idea.

Thanks guys.

Normally they are just below the hull to deck joint starboard side. As to salt water I don’t think that it will make much difference, the real issue is UV from sunlight. If you are worried about that have them make 2 and keep the second one as a spare if the first one deteriorates then replace it. I think that you will get years of service out of them. I had name plates made for the fuel, water and waste tanks and mounted then on the outside of the toe rail on our current boat. They have been there for 4 years and still look pristine. I got ones made out of UV resistant plastic. I bought them online but don’t remember who I got them from.

Back
Top Bottom