Lost my mind, but I’ll find it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Btequine

Vessel Name
Shearwater
Vessel Make
Trawler
Hello, everybody. I’m a landlubber that’s decided after a lifetime of training horses, and ranch life, To move to Alaska and buy a boat. A 41’ Steel trawler. I took one look and fell in love. So since the largest boat I’ve ever handled was a pontoon, and the largest body of water being about 20yards past the end of the Port Mansfield TX jeddy into the Gulf of Mexico, I decided to join this group(and others) and start learning what I have gotten myself in to. ?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Well, first mistake was getting emotional about a boat. Too late now. Enjoy. Take things slowly. Get to know your new mistress. Do NOT make any major changes to the vessel for at least 1 year. Take some boating courses if available. Be safe and do NOT under any circumstances ask about anchors!!!

200.webp

Welcome aboard! A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
We’ll need photos of the boat. You’ll need some training.
Also your anchor is too small, it’s the wrong kind and you don’t have enough chain. Just thought I’d get that out of the way before you ask, and you will, about anchors.

I see Rufus has already warned you about anchor questions.

We have all lost ours as well. I am not clear if you bought a boat, or looking? You will find out in about a year or two if this whole boating thing makes sense for you. It will drive you crazy at times, but also has the potential to provide amazing experiences.

BTW, I asked a question about stern anchors awhile ago, and didn't get chastised.

Oh wow....anchors huh? I have Waaaay bigger problems than that! Yes, I have already started taking some basic online boating classes, so far I haven’t learned much I didn’t know but, I have a zillion questions. As far as getting emotional about the boat, I know, I know, but when I just go where the wind blows me, as it were, things always work out. I will post pictures as I get them. (She’s in Whittier, I’m in Fairbanks) til spring. I absolutely did everything wrong and completely put the cart before the horse, but that method has worked for me before...literally. Thanks for the welcome, and the Anchor warning ��

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. It isn’t terrible to fall in love with one just remember those feelings when you have a problem... Good luck and have fun.

Hello, everybody. I’m a landlubber that’s decided after a lifetime of training horses, and ranch life, To move to Alaska and buy a boat.
Interesting decision and background! After 20 years of owning quarter horses and operating a small boarding stable, in 1996 my wife and I decided to leave Arizona & go to San Diego. We brought her old reliable horse (Henry) with us and settled in Rancho Santa Fe, just north of San Diego. Got bored with living where I couldn't see the water, we finally moved to La Jolla with a view of the Pacific and bought our first boat, 48' Off Shore. Have had 9 more since that first one and presently own an Ocean Alexander 42. Have learned a ton since that day in 1996 and a good share of it here on TF.

We wish you the very best and must say that you are living my dream when I was much younger.

Attachments

• OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Salon.jpg
    Salon.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 47
Good for you! I spend summers out of Seward into the Sound and the Fiords, I will keep my yes open for you. Avatar pic of your boat would be nice, so I will recognize you when I see you :)

I am surprised you don't have it in Valdez, much shorter drive than Whittier from Fairbanks and a much nicer port. I will be watching your posts!

Find a US Coast Guard Auxiliary unit and take the Boating Skills and Seamanship course.
It is well worth the time (13 lessons) for the knowledge you will gain.

Welcome Aboard..

First off, if your boat is a gasser it should have been diesel.(and vice versa)
If it is twin engined, it should have been a single (and vice versa)

Congratulations on taking the leap, many are afraid to make the jump and eventually regret it.

Have fun and send pictures..

pete

Interesting decision and background! After 20 years of owning quarter horses and operating a small boarding stable, in 1996 my wife and I decided to leave Arizona & go to San Diego. We brought her old reliable horse (Henry) with us and settled in Rancho Santa Fe, just north of San Diego. Got bored with living where I couldn't see the water, we finally moved to La Jolla with a view of the Pacific and bought our first boat, 48' Off Shore. Have had 9 more since that first one and presently own an Ocean Alexander 42. Have learned a ton since that day in 1996 and a good share of it here on TF.

We wish you the very best and must say that you are living my dream when I was much younger.

Firstly, welcome btequine, yep, you're nuts alright.

Secondly, to Codger, NINE more boats since 1996!? Are you going for some kind of record? That probably gives you wide range of experience. Would love for you to start a thread entitled "me and my ten boats" including your take-aways.

Thirdly, alas, equine, you also have the wrong dinghy, dingy motor, number of main engines, and definitely a generator about to fall through the bottom of the boat. And your fuel tanks are fouled and will stop your engine through clogged filters tomorrow afternoon at 2 PM eastern standard time.

Boats are just a bundle of PHUN.:banghead:

We are on our 23rd boat since we have been married. We were married in 1971 and bought the first boat about 3 months later.

Hmmmmm unlikely to find it here but we’ll help look!

Coast Guard AUX classes and consider hiring a captain to give hands on instruction. One 2 hr lesson was how to dock and back into and out of various slips in different conditions. Great learning experience. Take the time to learn your boat and how it handles.

Welcome aboard! I too have lost my mind. You are in good company!

Attachments

• F1C53708-61DD-4C1B-AEE7-B930904DC6F6.jpeg
    F1C53708-61DD-4C1B-AEE7-B930904DC6F6.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 43
Secondly, to Codger, NINE more boats since 1996!? Are you going for some kind of record?
Nope, some guys drink, play golf, hunt & fish, race cars, own airplanes, chase women, etc. I love boats! all kind of boats...even had the same model you are driving. I've learned from every one of them & continue to learn every time I go out!:oldman:

BTW, I haven't sworn off chasing women...at my age (78) I'm a hell of a lot slower than I use to be!:blush:

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum Btequine!
As far as anchors go, make sure you only use a Rocna,.......or was that a Spade,.........or maybe that was a Danforth? Having trouble remembering things since I lost my mind !:)
Anyway, post pictures of your anchor..... I mean boat.
Maybe after you get "squared away" you will travel south into Canada. Lots of water to explore in Alaska and Northern BC.
Enjoy the entire journey, and good luck,
Tom

Tough to lose your mind if in reality it was never present!!?? Don't ask how I know - LOL

Welcome... you will love boating with no mind. However if perchance you find yours...

Good for you! I spend summers out of Seward into the Sound and the Fiords, I will keep my yes open for you. Avatar pic of your boat would be nice, so I will recognize you when I see you :)

I am surprised you don't have it in Valdez, much shorter drive than Whittier from Fairbanks and a much nicer port. I will be watching your posts!

I plan to move her to Valdez as soon as possible. I Love Valdez! I will post pictures as soon as I can.:)

Btequine;
Well welcome to the club of losing ones mind but finding a GREAT piece of life.

If we really thought about the time, money, energy, focus, money, time, anxiety, learning curves (many steep) we each do with our boats.
We would actually lose out minds.

BUT the memories of sunsets, new places, sunrises, sleeping on a boat, just completing a task well, talking to all the great boating people in a marina and on this forum;
these keep me sane!

Welcome. Learn. Make mistakes like the rest of us. Enjoy. And have that big smile as you sometimes pause and realize your dreams are coming true.

Tim

Btequine,

Agreed, that you've lost your mind. And, I'm betting that this will not be your last mistress.

Boats are like women, but a bit more flexible. Every bit expensive and every time you change them, it costs a lot. However, the boat really doesn't mind if your try out another boat.

So, there's a thought in being pretty sure that this boat will be your last.... makes it easier. And that's hard to do for a first big one. Takes a lot of research, looking at and trying them out.

Also, there's an argument to get a first boat with the intention of stepping up. So the first one would be a lot of fun, easy to buy, operate and sell. A popular one that most everyone wants. If you get the wrong one, they can be hard to get rid of, besides expensive.

Food for thought.....

Welcome to Alaska! Your going to love PWS. Since your so far away from your boat you might want to find someone who can keep an eye on it and remove the snow. Boats have sank in Whittier and Valdez because of snow loading. It can snow many feet in either place overnight. Hope to see you out there next summer.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom