New owner/ old boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sean2112

Hello everyone,
I have purchased a 1977 Bristol trawler.
Having a number of questions that internet search’s have fallen short. Any help is much appreciated . In order to insure I need to get the hull identification number.
It’s not on the transom . Previous owner said he didn’t think it had one ?

At the moment, I’m having trouble locating the valve for emergency gas tanks . LOL
Last one
When I start motors and allow to come up to temp . Turn off they won’t restart. Thanks, again.
Sean2112

My 1969 express cruiser, wood/glass, hull did not have an identification number. The entire bilge area was stripped of everything, engines, all tanks, everything. The entire hull was washed then the bottom third epoxy painted. Through it all, a search was carried out to find a number.

The only thing I found was PME92914, an American company beginning in the 1990's so it could not be a number that reflects this company's build. We have an extensive database in British Columbia, this boat being built in BC, but no such number surfaced. I sent the number off to a group called Nauticapedia and they were unsuccessful at resolving the mystery.

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. Some boats of that vintage didn’t have HINs. Your state can probably issue one.

Look at the thread “I need some help”. It has to do with this same thing.

In the O.P. you mention the emergency GAS tank. Could it be that you have a gasser in an old trawler ? If so the restart problem is probably a vapor lock in the gas line. Trace it and find where it gets close to a hot engine component. Then insulate it, Also check the carbs.

If you have a diesel engine then you have an emergency FUEL tank. It could be a number of problems but clear the air for us on diesel/gas engine before we spend too much time diagnosing.

Gas or diesel, either way it is a pretty easy fix but we need to know which it is.

pete

Welcome aboard!

Old boat, new owner with little knowledge about or documentation for the old boat is a common condition shared by many here, but it's curable. The journey to enlightenment is just beginning!

What engines do you have? Once they've gotten to a state where they won't restart, what's the solution, letting them cool down? Is there a chance there's a high temp shutdown being triggered after shutdown that's preventing restart?

Good luck!

Greg.

I apologize , I was definitely unclear.
They are a pair of Perkins 335 diesel
I will clean / replace air filters I also plan to replace all fuel filters prior to launch .

Just reread last post

Sorry y’all,
Just realized, I posted the motors as 335 .
They are 135 diesel. Eventually I’ll get it together. Lol

Its unusual to experience the same problem with both engines at the same time. Im not a Perkins man but a diesel is a diesel, right ? (go ahead guys, let me have it).

Are you sure your batteries are up to full charge? Sometimes a tired battery can't deal with the increased compression a warm engine has. Start there..

pete

Pete ,
Thanks, I’ve been considering that very idea
Previous owner stated the master volt batteries were under a year old. He has been kinda vague on the rest of the details

Pete ,
Thanks, I’ve been considering that very idea
Previous owner stated the master volt batteries were under a year old. He has been kinda vague on the rest of the details

Too bad the PO has not been much help. I get calls about boats that I have sold and they have been resold to the second owner. It is getting a little difficult to remember details from that long ago but I do try to help as much as I can.

Back
Top Bottom