Any idea on what this valve does?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vadim

Vessel Name
Libra
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
Please excuse me for my question, but it is bugging me. This valve is located in the lower helm near steering wheel. It is connected to my hydraulic steering system. I do not know what it is for. It opens and closes. But what this is the question.
Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_1743.jpg
    DSC_1743.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 268
Maybe a vent and/or fill location for the hydraulics?

Cheers, Bill

It may shut off the upper helm.

Is it mounted vertically or horizontally?

double check the connection. Mine is connected to cold fresh water line. When turned on it allows water to drip through a tube above stbd window. Windshield wiper can then clean salt spray without turning it into a solid white film.

On my IG 32, a valve knee high on the console is for the windshield washer.

I think this is the water supply for your windshield. It wouild have been the original water supply to allow cleaning of your window by spraying it.

Ok its an Italian valve. We need more info. It is connected between what and what in the system? Perhaps a picture of the connections?

Some steering helm pumps are variable displacement and have a knob that controls it. It’s probably unlikely in this case, but something to keep in mind. I think to figure it out you will need to more carefully look at how it’s plumbed in.

Check your number of Steering wheel rotations from lock to lock with the valve open and closed. See if it increases or decreases the number of rotations.

double check the connection. Mine is connected to cold fresh water line. When turned on it allows water to drip through a tube above stbd window..
I`d agree, except OP says it connects to hydraulics. Vadim, are you sure it does?

It could be a restrictor on the hydraulics of the helm to make it stiffer in heavy seas, try it at different settings, with engine running.

I think this is the water supply for your windshield. It wouild have been the original water supply to allow cleaning of your window by spraying it.
You know, I think you are right . It does make sense.
Thank you.

I`d agree, except OP says it connects to hydraulics. Vadim, are you sure it does?
I thought that it was, it is connected to copper lines similar or the same size as hydraulics with the same connectors. I went to the boat to check it again. I found windshield washing tubes. I can not test it now because boat has being winterized, but it the spring it would be the first thing I test.
Thank you all.

I thought that it was, it is connected to copper lines similar or the same size as hydraulics with the same connectors. I went to the boat to check it again. I found windshield washing tubes. I can not test it now because boat has being winterized, but it the spring it would be the first thing I test. Thank you all.

IG used cu lines for fuel and water. The windshield washer line may have another valve where it T's off from the line to the head. It's a small diameter and could be blocked. Compressed air may clean it out.

When you fix it, make sure the valve closes properly. I know of an IG (not mine) with wooden windows (you may not have them) where the valve was left open allowing fresh water to leak out with unfortunate results.

My guess, it is the bleed/add fluid port for hydraulic steering fluid. Unscrew it to open it and slowly turn the wheel and see if steer fluid shows and trys to comes out. if you have hydraulic steering and not chain style.

Doncha love it when people don't LABEL valves?:banghead:

It can only be the valve for the windscreen washer. Why it was put in this position- down low virtually behind the helm is beyond me.

My Grand Banks 42 also had a valve on the lower helm for windshield washing. Had to disconnect at valve and blow out line with compressed air to clean out every couple years as it was not used that often. Of course their is not one at the upper helm.

If your yacht has hydraulic steering the valve might be used to adjust how quickly the rudder(s) respond to steering.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom