When is a Trawler not a Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, at least Chapman has attempted to define "trawler" in the recreational vessel sense.

I'll bet Carrol Shelby would argue that point. Or at least his bank account may.

The Mustang was dreamed up by Lee Iacocca, or so he claims. His question to the Ford designers at the time was "What would happen if we put a sporty body on a Falcon chassis and drive train?" The result was the 1964-1/2 Mustang. As Eric says, the car consisted of a new body and interior design mounted on the 2nd generation Falcon platform. The only thing sporty about it was its appearance.

My older brother's first car was a used, green Ford Falcon (early sixties) which our father bought for him. (I played driving it a couple of times, moving the steering-column gear-shift lever, etcetera before I was eligible for a license.) The car wasn't too his liking/self-image so he soon bought himself a new, true sports car, an Austin Healy Sprite, and abused it by downshifting too soon/quickly. He ended up with a rusty 1940s Dodge pickup (you know, with the engine-starter button on the floor).

Last edited:
The Mustang was dreamed up by Lee Iacocca, or so he claims. His question to the Ford designers at the time was "What would happen if we put a sporty body on a Falcon chassis and drive train?" The result was the 1964-1/2 Mustang. As Eric says, the car consisted of a new body and interior design mounted on the 2nd generation Falcon platform. The only thing sporty about it was its appearance.

All true but Shelby made it into a real car.

I tell people we live on 58 ft boat. If they ask what kind, I tell them a trawler. If they still do not under I show them a picture. Their reply is a yatcht. :banghead:

Phil, you have a yacht! Accept the fact.

No modesty allowed........we all have yachts.

JD,
Shelby made the Mustang into a dragster ....not a real car and the Falcon was a real car. A good economy car. We thought they were cheap junk in the 60s but if not abused they went the distance and the original Falcon could get 30 mpg.

Eric - You are quite correct - In the eyes of non boaters we all in this forum own Yachts. Whereas, in the eyes of billionaires we have well used tenders... at best! :lol:

When wife and I show picts of our Tolly at parties or other occasions... the surprised response from most - - - OH, You Have a YACHT! :eek:

Well, we feel we have a nice boat. :thumb:

Of course the last time we attended a billionaire party... NOT!!!

No modesty allowed........we all have yachts.

You are correct.

I could never call it a yacht though. I call mine a boat, but as others have said, when people see photos they call it a yacht.

Back
Top Bottom