mt-36 repower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

appdiver

Wondering what diesel inboards BESIDES the venerable Lehmann 120 would/will fit in my Marine Trader 36 without major modifications to either the boat or engine? Thanks for any practical suggestions!

I think that a factory remanned, Cummins 210 would be your best choice. Absolutely a rock solid engine with a simple turbo charger, no after cooler. Particularly if you buy from Seaboard Marine and let them upfit it with better auxiliaries. The foot print should be close to the Lehman since they are both about 6 liter inline sixes.

Might take a larger prop shaft depending on what you have and maybe a repitched prop to take advantage of the higher hp. But since the Cummins has a peak rpm that is the same as the Lehman you could just leave the prop shaft and prop the same. The Cummins will then pull the same hp and torque with the old prop as the Lehman since it will be under propped. But that is ok.

Not sure which Yanmar 170 the PP is referring to, either the discontinued 4LH-DTE or the new common rail 4HLV. Both are 4 cylinder engines. The former engine is also rock solid but with less displacement than the Cummins and you will have to look for a RTO and maybe rebuild yourself. The latter is a higher rpm (but not crazy high) new engine but with much less displacement which means it will rev higher and work harder than the Cummins.

David

Last edited:
+1 on the Cummins. You would want to check transmission and propeller shaft to make sure they were compatible with an almost doubling of HP. While you wouldn't likely be operating normally at that HP, sometimes things happen.

Ted

Deere make a 125hp . Last engine that boat would see.

I like either the Cummins or a Deere. I would prefer the older heavy engines rather than a lighter Yanmar. You aren’t looking for speed and the heavy engine isn’t an issue either.

Deere make a 125hp . Last engine that boat would see.

The JD 4045 would be a good choice, smaller and totally modern than the Cummins.

The JD engine would be smoother at low speed than the Yanmar 4LH. Turbo charged but don't know about an after cooler.

But you probably won't find a used one so you will have to pay more for new. It is all electronic, common rail which is a plus for some- less smoke, slightly better efficiency; minus for others- the electronics can get fried by lightning and sometimes they just fail though the odds of either are extremely low.

David

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom