Flagship AC systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Have searched and read on Flagship A/C systems. I know the supposed positives of their systems - well built, no circuit board, over the counter repair parts, heat element that doesn't need compressor running for my rare heat needs, quiet, etc. Reviews seem...scattered. Older ones reference a time frame when Ocean Breeze was building the Flagship units and had some issues with OB sneaking in rebuilt compressors, used parts. Seems that was 2009-2012 or so. They moved away from OB and now manufacture themselves in Stuart, FL. Anyone have experience with purchases during the more recent years or other thoughts/comments? Are the good points I list simply advertising BS?

Hi,
I bought a 18,000 BTU a/c from them about 3 1/2 years ago. Boat never had a/c.
Would not buy another !

VERY NOISY, before buying I looked at reviews and being noisy was mentioned but I said it will be in a cabinet, my mistake. It was less expensive than some but you get what you pay for.

After installing in N.C. I went to Stuart Florida for the winter and the a/c died. I went over to the shop and said they could not come over and check, IT WAS LESS THAN 10 miles!
After paying over a $100 to have the problem looked at I removed the unit and brought it to them and it was fixed with no "we found the problem" but upon re-install it worked
and of course I was out my service call cost. All repairs are at the factory to be under warranty.

The next year I found water in the plenum and I called and they said "we never heard of that"
6 months later back in NC it stopped again and I called a local guy and when I mentioned that I had checked the GFCI he said "nobody hooks an a/c unit to a GFCI
The manual says wire to a GFCI.
I took out the GFCI and it has worked since.
I put a sound dampening pad under and tried sound shield but you still have the return air vent so sound escapes.

No fault of the unit but in NC 18,000 btu would not cool the boat so this time I bought a Marine AIR Turbo Vector as the 2nd unit and it is so superior in design, ease of installation, less noise, gradual startup-less surge i can't believe I skimped on the 1st unit to save a few dollars.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I talked to someone over there, one of the "higher-ups" and he said that yes, they could be noisy but almost always related to only having one duct/air vent. they are meant to be used with multiple. Something about back pressure...etc. He also told me that yes they have to come back to the factory for service. Going into this thread I was about 5% buy and 95% Dometic Turbo. Thought I'd give it one more try in here. Those %'s aren't getting any closer....

I have probably purchased close to a hundred of their units through my former employer, mostly heat only units but some AC units as well. I’m not sure I can think of something positive to say about the products.

My vote to the OP - if you are in the States, go with Dometic.

Large USA company, good products. Expensive yes, but with them you get what you pay for.

Out here in Australia they are excellent, which is far away, they will be even better in the USA.

(No financial interest from me in the brand, just have them on my boat. Excellent stuff).

Hamish.

Wow ! Really surprised to hear such negative reviews. The unit in my previous boat is still going and it was installed in the 80's. In all that time it blew 2 X $20 relays. It was and still is a full time liveaboard in Toronto.

When I bought my next boat (full time liveaboard between Toronto and Bahamas) A Flagship unit was my first purchase and has been trouble free for 5yrs now. I would certainly buy another.

These things are so simply built with off the shelf parts I can't think of a reason to ship them back for repair. Parts are readily available, cheap and easily replaced although other than the 2 relays on my previous boat I've never had to replace anything.

Last edited:
One last comment,
As far as "one of the higher ups said " it's noisy when only one duct, I have two!
Bill

For some reason, I was already pretty sure that was the case!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom