Kohler 8EOZ Genset Oil Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

My next item on my to do list is to change the oil in my genset...I am at about 120 hours in and I think that about the right time to replace the oil.

This Mainship has that X-Change kit and I think there is a port for the single Yanmar 6ly, one for the transmission and a 3rd one for the Genset.

Looking for recommendations on oil type. I see its a Yanmar 3TNE74 diesel.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff in Savannah

I use the same oil I use in my main engines, 30wt delo.

I use 15-40 Delo. When you try to pump the oil out of the generator there is a valve under the generator at the oil pan that you need to open. Took me a while to figure out why there was no oil coming out.

Ok, thanks for the tip.
It gets pretty hot here in Savannah during the summer..does that fact make any difference in the oil weigh used?

Ok, thanks for the tip.
It gets pretty hot here in Savannah during the summer..does that fact make any difference in the oil weigh used?

No, the engine is water cooled and does not run very hard. So oil temp is not really related to outside air temperature. Any diesel rated engine oil will be fine in that gennie. Use whatever you are using in your main engine. SAE 30 or SAE 15w-40 will do fine. Check the manual to see what they recommend.

Agree with the above.
Oil more about lowest temp for starting.
If you don't have the manual you should be able to download it from TF Library or PM me your email and I'll send you it.

The operations manual (TP-6068), p12 in my softcopy. shows several choices of multi-weight oils, including 10w30 but not 10w40. No single weights listed, don't know why. We use 10w40 -- partly because it covers the same operating range of temps as 10w30 (in their chart) plus a bit more, and partly because that's also what we use in our mains.

We use Shell Rotella, newly relabeled "T4" I think; anyway, it's the straight oil, not synthetic or partially synthetic.

-Chris

Thanks for all the input, in between commercials of Georgia getting its butt stomped yesterday, I took a look and I see the X Changer is indeed plumped to the genset, looks like an easy task? open the valve on the genset drain and then select the port the unit is plumbed to and pump oil out and then new oil back in, guess its that easy...oh dont forget the filter ..

My F.L. uses straight 30 wt Rotella. The engine is freshly totally rebuilt. Brian (A.D.) still recommends the straight 30 so that is what the engine gets. Same for the genny. You don't want two types of oil on board.

pete

I pour the new oil directly into the engine. I don't use the oil X Changer to pump it back in. I guess I don't like the thought of the old oil in the hose mixing with the new oil.

Same for the genny. You don't want two types of oil on board.

pete

Although I used 30 wt in my Lehmans and Onan, I don't find carrying two weights of oil an issue, especially since my lil bitty Nextgen only takes 1.0 quarts of 10W30. The Yanmar takes 11 quarts of 15W40. Genny oil is bought in quart containers while the main engine's a purchased in gallons - no chance of mix-up.

I learned a lesson about ignoring the manual last summer when I used the same coolant in the generator as the main engine. It overheated when I ran it at 80% load. It does not like red Rotella premix ELC, but does fine on 30% green Prestone and 70% distilled water. So yes, I also have a separate small container of top-up generator coolant too.

I pour the new oil directly into the engine. I don't use the oil X Changer to pump it back in. I guess I don't like the thought of the old oil in the hose mixing with the new oil.
Ditto.
With only one main and a genie I have an unused port.
I have considered, but not implemented, using the third as a fill port with a long enough hose to reach the main & gen fills. The XChg discharge easily drained after emptying eng so it should work if one preferred 5 gal pails of oil vs 1 gal.

My XchangeR setup came rigged to the genny and main sumps, but the third port has a hose long enough to stuff down into the ZF tranny's wide dip stick hole. Even if it was used to refill the main engine (genny only takes a bit over a quart of oil; so that'd be just silly), there is still the bit of residue in the line between the main sump and the pump. I know it's anal, but that's what I am here for. :)

Rich
Mine similar. I wasnt proposing using the main sump to XChgr line for anything except removal.
The XChgr discharge hose fairly easy to drain but could use it as the supply from a 5 gal bucket and the 3rd position hose as the main fill to valve cover fill Port.
If any dirty residue or tranny oil its easy to bleed a cup or so to a container and then start filling main. The long unattached hose provides several options... tranny drain, main fill.
Agree gennie hardly worth any effort.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom