Old 12-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #16
Mischief Managed
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
assembly of four to six small tubes — or ducts — directing fuel mixture from the injector to the points of ignition.
This sounds like premixing air/fuel before injecting

traditional diesel engine create local igniting mixtures that contain two to 10 times more fuel than is needed for complete combustion
“Installing the ducts enables us to achieve diesel combustion that forms little to no soot, because the local igniting mixtures contain less excess fuel.”
This sounds like using less fuel, an option I thought was already available with a tuned engine.

Overall, to me it sounds like eliminating a separate air and fuel intake, premixing air/fuel and then injecting the correct balanced amount. So leaner/cleaner burn.

My understanding is that it's more like the nozzle on a propane torch. Rather than have the injector squirt fuel directly into the combustion chamber, this injects fuel into a tube which, due to venturi effect, draws air (the air that is in the combustion chamber already) into the tube behind the fuel. The air mixes with the fuel and comes out the business end of the nozzle burning cleanly and very hot. It's incredibly simple and clever. If it works as well as they say, and the technology is licensed for a reasonable fee, this should become the norm in future diesel engines. It might even even be applicable to gasoline engines.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote