Okeechobee Area Home with Dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Capt Tom,
Check out the Peace River/Charlotte Harbor area. Not sure exactly what your looking for but the area is nice. It has plenty of open water that is protected. Worth the look.
Enjoy
Capt Tom.

Thanks all! Too many to thank individually, but you've all given me some good places to poke around.

Realtor is coming by Monday to do a market value assessment of my current house. That should give me a working budget, or possibly bring plans to a full stop, or just introduce a delay if there's a lot of work needed before it'll sell.

nice area with some obvious good deals, compared to up here in the puget sound area. But tell me this....how much extra do you have to pay if you want one with no snakes, alligators or other things that can kill ya? That could be a deal killer for me.

nice area with some obvious good deals, compared to up here in the puget sound area. But tell me this....how much extra do you have to pay if you want one with no snakes, alligators or other things that can kill ya? That could be a deal killer for me.

Problem is you can't pay enough to get rid of the hurricanes.

That stuff is regional relative to risk level. There are some areas where the risk factor is nonexistent as Healhustler mentioned. One could argue why anyone would live in a state where you could freeze to death, be killed by an earthquake, or taxed into poverty by your state government. All areas have risks of one kind or another; pick your poison.

Ted

But tell me this....how much extra do you have to pay if you want one with no snakes, alligators or other things that can kill ya? That could be a deal killer for me.

We have coyotes here, and moose, and some have even seen bears. That may not sound too bad, but when you go out in the back yard on a dark night and hear a noise, these things come to mind.

I can deal with the snakes and alligators. I'm not a huge fan of spiders that can kill you, but I suppose people get used to that, too.

It's not really the cold that bothers me. I figure in Florida I wouldn't be able to go outdoors about half the year. Here I can go out, I just have to dress for it. You can always add layers, but there's a point where you can't take any more off. The plan would be to summer here, winter there.

CaptTom, Where is your boat now?

On the hard and wrapped, surrounded by snow :cry:

The whole point of this exercise is to expand our season to year-round.

The usual lot here in Ortona is 65ft wide on the water, although there are some double lots.

From fairly new fancy construction to rehabbed house trailers the community is mostly boaters .

Docks are easy to construct , the pioneers used water hoses and a home well pump, I have a 2 inch gas Honda folks borrow. There is also a community spud barge anyone can borrow.

Only one canal is shallow 4 ft the rest were dug to 16-18 ft to build up the lots. Usually 6ft +in Turkey Creek.

Live aboard is OK , but a small building for toilet , washing etc with a septic system is required .

By far a splendid hurricane hole , as the built up land protects the boats in the canals.

La Belle is 15 miles of open road, hardware store , Wallmart all the usual, with one great (for us) Mexican carry out.

Ft Myers is an hour away .

Places on the river are considered more scenic as boats go buy , but keeping a boat happy & safe with 4-5 ft wakes is difficult.

The prices are reasonable and best suited to cruisers as its 2 locks and a couple of bridges to get into the Gulf.

Anyone passing by is welcome to come visit and see the area. Do call first!!!

I have a shop for woodwork, so bring a project that needs a table saw , drill press or my favorite ,a 6x48 table sander.
And don't forget about the barbecue place, The Log Cabin. We travel from Punta Gorda(45 minutes to an hour)at least once a month to go to The Log Cabin.
Last week we ran our small boat from Saint James City to Labelle and spent the night at the free docks, we love that little town.
We ran into another 32 Nordic Tug owner at the docks and spent several hours talking boats.

Back
Top Bottom