1935 65' Wooden Boat Hull Replacement options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sn0wb0ard24

I am interested in purchasing a 1935 wooden boat 65' that will need hull restoration. I have read about various options, such as marine plywood, 5200, epoxy, fiberglass, etc. Any suggestions, experience, or recommendations, cost estimates?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "Marine plywood, 5200, epoxy, fiberglass, etc." is NOT restoration, it's band-aid repair IMO. Even if you get the hull for free, depending on what needs replacing, it could easily run to 6 figures $$$$$$ to have a competent yard do it or easily $50K++ in cheap materials alone if you do it. Unless you are a masochist, don't even think about it. Free boats are never free.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. If my heart is set on this boat, how could I proceed to use modern techniques to help her make it another 20 years? I am not stuck on authentic restoration.

The only answer I can think of is to have it hauled, surveyed, and get advice based on what is revealed. If the hull is in poor condition you may have difficulty getting a Yard to lift it.

What kind of boat are you looking at? A lightly built pleasure boat? Or a heavy timber boat?

Does she float? Does she run? Is she safe enough for a voyage? If yes to all of the above consider searching for options in central / south America. That's where a lot of the boat timber comes from. And places where wood boats are still built, used and repaired.

I am interested in purchasing a 1935 wooden boat 65' that will need hull restoration. I have read about various options, such as marine plywood, 5200, epoxy, fiberglass, etc. Any suggestions, experience, or recommendations, cost estimates?

Yup- repair wood with wood, and prepare yourself for a potentially long and very expensive process. Wood boats are lovely, and require a very high level of upkeep and maintenance compared to a similar sized glass boat. The cheapest part of this endeavor will most certainly be the vessel purchase.

Don't glass over an old wood boat. Not only are there no insurance markets that will offer coverage on a wood boat that has been glassed over, the practice opens all sorts of Pandora's boxes with regards to the long term health of the vessel.

if the structure is sound, what about a west system epoxy repair? I have read about putting 5200 in between layers of wood.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. If my heart is set on this boat, how could I proceed to use modern techniques to help her make it another 20 years? I am not stuck on authentic restoration.

Take your heart out of the equation, for it will certainly get broken.

I have read about a substantial restoration of the Ida May which concentrated on taking the hull back to its original state.

idamay.org

At the end of the day, you're going to do as you will- and good on you for following a dream.

That said, you will expend countless hours (the Ida May article showed over 2000 manhours in 2 years, and that was a 4+ year renovation) and countless dollars in the restoration to do it right.

You asked for advise, which has been given. Nobody knows (nor is it anybody's business) about your financial status, expertise in projects, etc, so the responses given are based on seeing what happens when emotion overcomes logic. Your proposed endeavor may result in a beautiful vessel that you can take pride in- or leave you in a smoking financial hole trying to figure out what happened.

Investigation is the first step- but listen to the advise being given vice try to justify your decision process.

Greetings,
Mr. S. "...what about a west system epoxy repair? I have read about putting 5200 in between layers of wood." You read too much. Just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true. Sure, you can West System, goop on 5200 and multiple layers of plywood or even put on tar and canvas, if you want. It CAN be done but IF you're ever finished, you will end up with a "boat" worth nothing minus the $$ you have wasted on it.

F&S may well be a wonderfully well built boat and if you're independently wealthy, by all means buy it and have at it but NO boat is an investment and FEW boats will give you ANY return on any money you put into it unless you are in the business of flipping boats and have the expertise to do so.

If you look at the boat owned by TF member Bob Cofer you will see a beautiful wooden boat he purchased. Lots of things are possible, but cost and the capacity to meet it is vital.
Equally vital is the problem of "having your heart set on it", if that be so, it clouds your judgement. Buying a boat has to be a logical practical considered move, unless you are not limited financially. Falling in love with a boat is not wise. We don`t know if this is your first boat. Most people start with something more modest and less challenging. If you buy this you are taking on a major project.Some photos or an advert link might help the people trying to provide advice.

Unless one is absurdly wealthy, the very idea of attempting to preserve a 65 foot wood boat without EXTENSIVE knowledge and direct experience is utter folly.

It's "this old house" to the nth degree.

Long, sturdy, thin ice pick... can tell a world of circumstances in old wood.

While boat remains in water:

First - go to bow stem as well as throughout transom and thoroughly find if there is softwood.

Second - go into bilge and thoroughly find if there is softwood; including stringers.

Third - go under boat with air supply and thoroughly find if there is softwood; keel included.

If you locate much soft wood in the hull - then - Walk/Run Away!

If not much soft wood, find if the hull has ever been refastened and when... if it was. Chances are you will need to completely refasten all hull portions.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
200.webp

Maybe. Noting screen name and thinking of lyrics to the Donald Fagen song Snowbound: " Snowbound, let`s sleep in today. Wake me up when the wolves come out to play".

OMG, a 65’ wooden boat will eat not only your lunch but breakfast and dinner also. Are you experienced in wooden boat repair? I am guessing not because you are asking this question. Please stop and get over the love affair and look at it with a bit of dispassion. Unless you are rich or retired and rich it will be a never ending project that will probably end up badly. Please stop and think, don’t fall in love.

Is a Fellows and Stewart a well built boat?

My marine surveyor's answer would be, "It doesn't matter. Beyond a certain number of years, how a boat was cared for and maintained matters more than how it was built." That's especially true for a wooden boat.

My first boat was a twenty-foot wooden sailing catamaran. I sailed the hell out of her for three years, and then worked on her for another three years. After selling her to another dreamer, I foreswore any more wooden boats. For the past thirty-five-plus years, I have remained faithful to my vow.

But, I am an ordinary mortal. There are supermen, like our TF colleague "Swampu," who have fearlessly tackled old wooden boat restoration projects and lived to not only tell the tale but to show off the magnificent results. See:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s25/work-progress-65-lugger-reworked-after-fire-5451.html

If you have not worked on a wood boat before, buy a small wood boat that needs restoration. Not a plywood bost but a traditionally built one.

If you are able to complete the restoration, go on to the 65.

I restored a few wood sailboats in the 16' to 25' range. Cured me of wanting to purchase and restore a wood trawler.

cost estimates?

Use the hull as a plug to create a female mold , then get help and build a new GRP hull.

Move every thing from the old boat into the new hull, but upgrade plumbing ,wiring etc.

At least after years of work , the finished boat will have value.

Plan B is ignore everything that wont sink you, patch as you can and enjoy the trip as long as it lasts.

Sn0wb0ard24 I'm gunna give you my best answer, assuming that your heart is set on a wood boat, and not just because that boat is cheap or free.

Buy a ticket to India or Vietnam or Indonesia or Pakistan. You can have built a brand new 40'+ heavy fishing trawler out of a good wood (like jackfruit), with engine and a clean interior (but not yacht level) for about $125k. Brand new and no crap inside like that 80 year old monstrosity.

I lived overseas in Asia/Middle East for more than a decade and visited so many shipyards I can't count them. It's doable, but you have to get out of your armchair and dust off your passport.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your valuable, experienced, and sage advice. Very, very much appreciated.

YW - From us all - I'm sure! :thumb:

So, please do tell...

What is your decision looking like; re to own or not to own said old wooden boat?? :confused:

wow, you guys really know how to stomp on a dream:angel::angel: But I tend to agree that an old wood boat could be a nightmare.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom