50-knot trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41

Attachments

• highpoint.jpg
    highpoint.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 223
ASROC optional extra:

Attachments

• highpoint2.jpg
    highpoint2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 135
Hmm I wonder if Defender sells that ASROC, would be handy ensuring I got a good spot in a crowded anchorage. Wife ruled out a cannon.

don't think so, no swim deck

Hopefully not but it would certainly garner respect. I got an ASROC and I ain't afraid to use it. Of course I could just launch an unruly guest if needed.

I'd like to know who the "private owners" following Boeing were and what they've done or attempted to accomplish with her. I'll bet there's a good story there.

Can you imagine pulling into the transient slip w that bad boy.

Was talking to a fellow the other day who ripped the leg off the back of his boat after hitting a log while on plane...something to think about!

I cruised past a large floating piling in a channel earlier this year definitely would have caused damage if someone hit that. Called it in to marine patrol and CG.

An interesting aside. My uncle, Ed Czarnecki was, I believe, at one point in charge of the Boeing military hydrofoil projects, primarily the Pegasus class. He died in the late 70's or early 80's. I lived with him and his family when I started law school in 1974 and heard lots of stories about the program. He was a huge fan of hydrofoils. He and his brother Kaz graduated from the U of Alabama in what I have heard, was one of the first aeronautical engineering programs back in the late 30's. Kaz went on to work his entire career with Nasa and was the model for Karl Zielinski in the movie "hidden figures". Quite a family..until I came along.

Wonder how our Tolly would handle on hydrofoils?? :dance:

Naw... just dreaming... forget about it! :facepalm: :nonono:

Curious about the power. One 450 hp Detroit doesn't seem like it could be the original engine. The wiki has it as powered by a GE gas turbine - you think that is still in the spares locker?

Did a little more reading. That photo of the ASROC launch is described as occurring near Nanoose BC. Almost certainly in Area WG, so familiar to many of us.

Significant draft lf moving "on the hull." Not something one would want on many sloughs of the San Francisco delta.

Hit this at fifty knots:

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 68
Significant draft lf moving "on the hull." Not something one would want on many sloughs of the San Francisco delta.

Yeah, but wouldn't you love to come smoking into McCovey Cove in that brute.

In the early 80's they tried running the Boeing built hydrofoils between Seattle and Victoria, BC. When they worked it was a much faster trip than the traditional ferry service. However, they often hit things that damaged the foils. Then the trip was slower than the other ferry.

They also tried them from Vancouver to Victoria.

The Boeing designed hydrofoils are still used in Asia.

ASROC optional extra:

Just a techy correction from a former weaponeer; that's probably a Harpoon anti-ship missile as an anti-submarine rocket would have been useless for a vessel with no detection capability, especially at that speed. High Point testbed for what later evolved into the Navy's hydrofoil gunboats, a largely useless breed for our nation and soon discarded.

Many years ago I rode the passenger hydrofoil from Copenhagen to Malmo Sweden. Fairly rough seas and passengers were required to strap into airline type seats. Nasty ride as the foils slammed between and through oncoming waves, especially when an occasional big one would smack the hull.

Growing up in West Seattle I would occasionally see the Boeing hydrofoils running around off Alki Point. It was especially exciting when they would hit something in the water and come crashing down, throwing water everywhere. I think the foils were attached with a tether and made to come off when hitting a log or other large debris.

No decent swim platform.

No description of anchors. No flybridge.

Trawlers don't even go 20 knots.
Forget 50.

I thought the James Bond villains intent on taking over the world had bought up all of those things.

Back
Top Bottom