Tollycraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmwdoc02

I am sure this has been discussed before but .I am going to look at a 87 34 Tollycraft .He says it is a tri cabin .
I believe the tri cabin ended in 85 .
Would like some input on this model and maybe what to look for from people who may be familiar with it .
Tony

Built in Kelso WA. Popular in the PNW for their build quality and good cruising configurations. Your boat is near the end of Tolly production before they closed the doors. If not a tri cabin, it's likely a flybridge sedan design. Probably gas powered.

I am sure this has been discussed before but .I am going to look at a 87 34 Tollycraft .He says it is a tri cabin .
I believe the tri cabin ended in 85 .
Would like some input on this model and maybe what to look for from people who may be familiar with it .
Tony

Hello Tony,
Can you post a picture or interior layout? The Tri-cabin did end in 1985 but the 34 Sundeck and 34 Sedan were produced in 1987. The Sundeck looks somewhat similar obviously the sedan does not.

Chances are they are referring to the 34 Sundeck. Some folks call them a tri cabin. I have a 1986 model. Have been happy with it. They are getting on in years so much of the condition depends on previous owners treatment. I have heard of window leaks though have not had that issue myself. There does not seem to be any systemic issues. Check windows, fuel tanks and deck fittings as you would any 1980's boats. Not sure if that helps.

Thank you for the replies
I am going to look at her this weekend .
I hope y'all will be willing to answer more questions
Tony

Welcome aboard. According to Powerboat Guide there were 2 34s built in 1987. A 34 Sport Sedan that has a flybridge and a cockpit and a 34 Sundeck that has the aft cabin and no cockpit. In 87 the Sundeck has 200 gallons of fuel and increased to 296 in 88. It has 77 gallons of water and 35 gallon holding tank. With 350 hp gas engines it is supposed to cruise at 18 knots, hang on to your wallet at that speed with twin 350 hp gas engines. Looks like a nice boat.

Feel free to PM me... I'll provide ph # for a chat. Really good older boats! - Art

I think 1987 was the first year of the 34 Sun Deck model. I think the hull is the same but the upper deck(s) are very different. It has a different interior and it has a full beam aft cabin unlike the earlier version.

I scanned a page from a 1987 brochure that I have in my collection.

Attachments

• Tollycraft 34 1987.jpg
    Tollycraft 34 1987.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 54
As others have said Tollycrafts were very popular in the PNW (they remain so). They had high standards for sea keeping. I've been told that the owner of the company (R.M. Tollofson) required that his boats be able to cross the Columbia River bar, no small thing. I know a west coast captain who told me (before I bought one) that he preferred Tollycrafts in rough conditions. They tend to have lots of flare in the bow, so they're much dryer than say a Grand Banks.

Things to watch for.
-Like many production boats tanks (fuel and water) can be an issue in older boats.
-Window leakage on the side windows also can occur, but fortunately it doesn't cause the structural issues (rot) that the far east built boats suffer from.
- I've never seen a Tolly with an opening front window, I think as a result of that Columbia bar requirement.
- Diesels were optional on Tollycrafts and below 37' I'm not sure even that was an option. All of the 34' I've seen had gasoline power. I'm not one that says diesels are a muston boats less than 40'. While diesels have some benefits, they're much more expensive to maintain and the older diesels are far noisier and smellier than gas engines.

“Tolly Poem”
March 9, 2009 / by Art Burtis – Owner of a Tolly!
1977 Tollycraft, 34’ tri cabin with a very sunny deck, named “The Office”

For: Robert Merland Tollefson
(And All Tolly Friends)

TOLLY LIFE - AGELESS DESIGN

Tolly grew rugged in Idaho snow; from very young age having mind on the go
Wisdom a factor runs strong in his genes; with good life to live, age builds means
Respect and straight thought, passion for all; Tolly made living a time to stand tall
Boats caught his attention, then attention caught fire; Tolly located his true heart’s desire
Singing and acting he played for a while; but boats for dear Tolly stayed top of the pile
Designing and building was study he choose; the more he thought boats, the higher thoughts rose
No matter world times of depression so full; Tolly was always ready to pull
A mag gave him plans for boat vessel to build; soon his life needs would start to be filled
Wars come and go, as we all know; tis people as Tolly that finish the show
Corvette boats, buoy tenders, tugs play a part; their captains, like Tolly, steer strong from their heart
In war-times of duress, with hope at a low; sweet ice-cream for workers helps everything flow
Lumber and millwork made Tolly do well; but boats were his passion, that he could tell
Sudden wind blew cross his lumber shop tour; flames liked high toward ruin for sure
He then caught insurance, dreaming sea-tales for comfort; twas his capability, to turn ruin triumphant
Soon there were wisps of waves in his mind; he realized for certain twas time for sea-kind
Up lifted he felt, knowing full well; as his own boat-filled ruler, success would foretell
So, to boat designs Tolly entered his might; feeling quite rightly Tolly boats would take flight
He grumbled, he garnered, Tolly worked his butt off; associates gathered to make his landing soft
With effort and smarts he planned Tolly boat toys; each meant to be friendly for all women and big boys
Outboard then inboard, in wood and then glass; 14 then 20 then 60 foot class
Tolly and Monk, designers dejure; made big ones and small ones, grand selections for sure
Months turned to years with decades to follow; Tolly’s great boats filled many a sea hollow

Next thing Tolly knew a following grew tight; each asking him louder to continue his flight.
So keeping his premise of pay as you go; Tolly made commitment to let everyone know
My Tollys are fashioned with pleasure in mind; fear not their built backbone, seaworthy you’ll find.
Humming along, his boat factory built; Tolly his mates with associates felt
Offers came in from others that build; asking Tolly to join with their guild
Carefully, methodically he searched with due diligence; through all of their figures and factory significance
Each time does he find that when all the smoke clears; they are not as they premised, their books holding smears
So back to his shop with sea waves in mind; each time to feel comfort as he worked with like kind
One Tolly then another rolled through the front door, it felt like forever occurring for sure
They patted each Tolly on the rump as it passed; giving boats ingenuity, via love that could last
First they built wood, then built with glass; as all things traverse life forms, all eventually pass
Decades ran by, many years of success; Tolly felt sure they could sell outright, creating no mess
So sell it he did to a group with big funds; thinking they could play Tolly, with more decades of runs.
Too soon due to items that can hobble a giant; the cost of boat building became highly defiant.
Accountants played numbers, builders they built and salesmen they sold; no matter the efforts, Tollycraft’s end was foretold
There were hiccups and belches, grand tries galore; all meant to save the once great Tolly store
No matter how inventive, no matter how smart; no person got Tollycraft a financial restart
Deep sadness was felt by all true believers; unfortunate conditions placed Tollycraft at hand of receivers
Once a great effort comes to end of its line; tis best to take comfort from days of past time
For years Robert Tollefson and friends broke new molds; of boats toward perfection as their designing unfolds
Tolly boats changed yacht market’s complexion, with many fine seamen telling great recollection
Tolly and Monk with all of their friends; never looked back as they prospered toward Tolly boat ends
Now that it’s over, great memories galore; remember not Tolly nor Monk are who closed the door
Six thousand five hundred Tollys or more; came to existence to travel the shore
For keeping them going and in good repair, tis a fellow named Gordon whose always right there

Great structure, design and rugged sea worthy; make all Tolly owners quite ready to survey
Tolly’s true meaning at end of this show; a meaning deep seated, a reason to know
On travel, the Tollys for all owners’ pleasure; a life of sea views toward great fun and leisure
A century from now when we here are gone; there will be classic prized Tollys motoring on
Great results from Tolly’s system is so simple to see; good endeavors are empowered by the operative word WE!

Successful regards, Mr. Tollefson. You are one great boat builder!

Art Burtis, a proud Tolly owner.

Boats – Forever!
Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.
Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.
Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.
Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!
By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.

Back
Top Bottom