Tarpon Springs cruise / get together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SWA

Thanks for your input and welcome aboard. And you will find some salty dudes amoung us. :)

Great local if we can get slips at the same dock, lots of good restaurants and shopping for the ladies.

Good point. I believe the only two good options are Turtle Cove and the City Marina. Both easy walk into town, but Turtle is a tad closer, especially to Rustys. Is there another marina option?

Turtle is probably a tad nicer but has shallow water issues, and a low tide, I've had several friends face a few hour wait to get in/out. With the City marina having been rebuilt recently, that would make a nice option.... no tide issues, but can have some current. Food for thought.

I’ve been in and out of the Anclote river several times in my 17 ft boat and there’s plenty of water just make sure you do not go out of the channel not only in the river but in the approach channel as well. It’s well marked but pay attention.

We are newish to the trawler world too. Still working so depending on date we would enjoy meeting some with way more experience than us. Keep us posted on date and time

John

Update:

So I've talked to the Tarpon Springs municipal marina and reached out to Turtle Cove marina. TC hasn't called me back yet and their website is down or in transition. TSM has 6 transient floating docks that are new. Price is $2 per foot including electric.

I get the impression that there aren't a lot of transient slips near the sponge docks. So it seems a good idea to set dates and for those coming by boat, make reservations soon. TSM indicated that a month or so out, all 6 slips would likely be available.

Dates:
I would like to center this over a weekend as a few who may come, still work. After looking at the city's event calendar, the weekend of January 11th and 12th look to be void of any events. While the next weekend would also work, MLK federal holiday is the 20th and there's also an arts festival that weekend. Personally, I prefer to not wait in line at restaurants, so an event free weekend would be my preference. My plan would be to arrive Friday 10th and depart Monday 13th.

So what do people think? If you plan to attend, please respond to this thread indicating whether you will want dockage or not.

Ted

Like I said earlier I’m local will not need a slip and doesn’t matter when you have it. I understand the weekend idea but understand the area is many times busier on the weekend.
So you might want to plan on staying a day or two on a weekday also so you can better enjoy the area.

Could certainly come in on Thursday, do Friday and Saturday, and leave on Sunday.

Ted

I'll be there. Do not need a slip. My boats moored next to the city Marina.

Update:

So I talked to Turtle Cove marina. Their rate is $2.50 per foot including electric and BoatUs discount. It sounds like they have more amenities (swimming pool, spa, etc.) and if I were going to be there for an extended stay, would likely take advantage of those features. The mean (mid tide) water depth is 5' in fairways. When asked about my 4.5' draft, high tide was recommended for arriving and departing. For the second weekend in January, they only have one 50' slip available, but a number of smaller size ones. While it sounds like a nice place to spend a month, I think the municipal marina is going to be a better fit (pun intended).

Ted

Last edited:
Saturday the 11th would be great. We will be driving and not need dockage. Just the two of us (hear the music?:))

John

Capt Jack, you will have to go across the river from the municipal marina and have a drink at "Capt Jacks". Great margaritas!
:thumb:

Hello fellow cruisers

We just moved our 36’ Grand Banks Classic to Port Tarpon Marina from Clearwater. The Anclote River is plenty deep all the way to the newly refurbished City Docks. I was at Turtle Cove yesterday for a pump out and went at low tide. I draw 4’ and had no problems in and out. We are considering moving to Turtle Cove permanently in February because its a really nice marina with a pool and they have more transient slips than anyone.

Understand that the low tide yesterday was +.8 ft according to my chart so it was not real low.

So far the discussion has centered around marinas, water depth and so forth. Just what you guys who are bringing their boat to Tarpon Springs need. But how about us that are going to drive in, and in my case and others from 100 miles away.

So, could we decide on a single get together event, preferably midday. Either on someone's (big) boat or at a local restaurant. Any volunteers? Depending on number of attendees maybe we can reserve a private dining room in one of the water front restaurants. Does anyone know if Rusty's or Dimitri's has a reservable dining room?

Saturday, January 11 is probably the preferred day for those who work and plan to drive in. It will probably be impossible to get a table in one of those restaurants on a Saturday if we don't reserve something.

Thoughts?

David

So far the discussion has centered around marinas, water depth and so forth. Just what you guys who are bringing their boat to Tarpon Springs need. But how about us that are going to drive in, and in my case and others from 100 miles away.

So, could we decide on a single get together event, preferably midday. Either on someone's (big) boat or at a local restaurant. Any volunteers? Depending on number of attendees maybe we can reserve a private dining room in one of the water front restaurants. Does anyone know if Rusty's or Dimitri's has a reservable dining room?

Saturday, January 11 is probably the preferred day for those who work and plan to drive in. It will probably be impossible to get a table in one of those restaurants on a Saturday if we don't reserve something.

Thoughts?

David

According to their respective websites:
Rusty's does not accept reservations. (However if someone were there early enough they could do something.) I've been to Rusty's with 8 or 10 in the past and it has not been a problem, but a larger crowd might be.

Dimitri's does accept reservations. But I don't know if they have a separate room.

If someone had a reasonably close headcount, I could do some recon as I am not far away and we owe ourselves a trip to the sponge docks soon.

Tend to agree with David Marchand about setting a specific date for the get together, such as Sat., Jan 11. I might drive from Ruskin (about 1-1/2 hrs) or come with my boat earlier. Has anyone considered Hella's for a restaurant. It's a huge place where they could move many tables together for a large group. Food is decent. And if you're into desserts, their bakery next door is to die for :)

I'm not getting much input from those who might bring their boats. Also haven't heard any objections to the 11th and 12th weekend. So, I'm going to put in my reservation at the municipal marina, to arrive on the 9th and leave on the 12th or 13th. I think the idea of getting together and going out to eat on Saturday is a winner. Wonder if doing a late lunch or early dinner (2pm, 3pm, or 4pm) might make it easier for those driving in, and finding an uncrowded restaurant. I'll wait till Monday to put in my reservation, incase anyone would like to discuss it more.

Ted

Well, let's put a stake in the ground and say:

2 PM on Saturday Jan 11th for lunch at a place TBD. :thumb:
That should give the drivers time to get there and get home at a decent hour.

If I can get some kind of a headcount I can do some recon within the next couple of weeks and find a place that can handle the group unless someone else wants to do that.

Anyone?

If I can get some kind of a headcount I can do some recon within the next couple of weeks and find a place that can handle the group unless someone else wants to do that.

Anyone?

Count me in.

David

Anyone?

I'm in, obviously. May have someone joining me, but doubtful at this time.

Ted

I will most likely be in but have a few hoops to get thru.
Will boat in, 40 ft Mainship.

I could argue for a tad later in the year as it warms a bit in Feb and Mar. There is a chance that Jan will be cold.

But the 11th is fine.

Coming with 2.

I will most likely be in but have a few hoops to get thru.
Will boat in, 40 ft Mainship.

I could argue for a tad later in the year as it warms a bit in Feb and Mar. There is a chance that Jan will be cold.

But the 11th is fine.

Coming with 2.

If you feel relatively confident you will be boating in, I would suggest you make a reservation. I made mine today at the municipal marina (727-937-9165). They seem pretty casual and don't require a deposit but would like a confirmation call about a week in advance. I'm in on Thursday and leaving Monday, but do whatever works for you.

Ted

Got a slip at Tarpon Muni

Arriving Saturday mid morning and heading out Monday mid morning. Wish I could add a day or two but have obligations. Should be fun.

Some of the ideas sound great. A group lunch sound great, especially if not to hard to get everyone in.

Also an evening get together, docktails, etc. Would be fun. Wonder if there's a good spot at the Marina where we could do this... and bring a snack? Suspect they will allow it, Mick, dockmaster, seems like a really nice guy.

Thoughts?

Also an evening get together, docktails, etc. Would be fun. Wonder if there's a good spot at the Marina where we could do this... and bring a snack? Suspect they will allow it, Mick, dockmaster, seems like a really nice guy.

Thoughts?

I haven't actually looked at the marina since it's been redone other than drive past. I know there is a small parking lot and a public restroom right there.
I'll do some recon next week and peruse the area and let you know what I find.

I haven't actually looked at the marina since it's been redone other than drive past. I know there is a small parking lot and a public restroom right there.
I'll do some recon next week and peruse the area and let you know what I find.
Please post some pictures of the new docks. Like to see what I'm getting myself into before I arrive and the Google Map satellite images haven't been updated yet.

Boating buddy will be joining me, so there will be 2 of us for Saturday.

Ted

Please post some pictures of the new docks. Like to see what I'm getting myself into before I arrive and the Google Map satellite images haven't been updated yet.

Boating buddy will be joining me, so there will be 2 of us for Saturday.

Ted

Will do. Might be taking the boat out Monday since I just got it back from service. If we do I'll get some pics from the water.

Ted. You’ve got someone to help you, damn it should be a walk in the park for you (a guy who did the loop singlehanded).

Sounds like fun, I wish we could make it to keep all in line and Watfa could use more experience in cooking.

Enjoy.

Ted. You’ve got someone to help you, damn it should be a walk in the park for you (a guy who did the loop singlehanded).

Sounds like fun, I wish we could make it to keep all in line and Watfa could use more experience in cooking.

Enjoy.
Irv, I'd tell you to send Watfa over to cook for us, but you probably would. ;) Is it February in Fort Pierce yet?

Ted

Back
Top Bottom