Wesmar Stabilizer Tech Support????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I just purchased a new Wesmar DSP5000 Stabilizer system to replace my ancient Vospers. I thought I ordered a 12v system (it's even an option on their online configuration tool), but received a 24V system. Wesmar informs it's what they spec'd as they no longer make 12V systems. When asked about reconciling the voltage difference, they punted with "Installer is responsible to provide 10A/24V power." When pressed for a recommendation, they did provide the attached cryptic diagram.

QUESTIONS:
First, does anyone have any idea what the actual current draw on a small hydraulic stabilizer system might be? Wesmar is unable to provide any information except to say circuit should be rated at 10A/24V.

Second, has anyone recently installed a Naiad system in a 12V boat? Best I can tell, a few years ago for Wesmar and Naiad, native-12V controls were replaced with 24V. I went back and looked carefully at my Naiad quote and they pre-packages a 12V-24V step-up converter as part of the 12V system ($500 upgrade). Wondering if anyone has sizing information on whatever they use? I'm reluctant to call Naiad with a Wesmar problem, but maybe they'd get a kick out of the call :)

Third, does anyone have experience with using a step-up converter as a sustained power supply? They really run the gamut from $10 small ones on Amazon to $500 ones from reputable OEMs such as Newmar and Victron. Any tips on installing one?

Finally, if anyone can refer a decent Wesmar/Stabilizer guru (or maybe an electronic/instrumentation tech), I'd appreciate the referral. Obviously, I should be having this conversation with Wesmar, but they are MIA except to provide the attached sketch. Fine for a 24V thruster. Over-kill for this.

Thanks in advance.

Wesmar Sketch.jpg

If you only need 10A at 24V, there should be plenty of 12 - 24 step up converters that can supply that. That, combined with a way to turn the converter off if you have the whole system turned off (to avoid parasitic draw) would be the easiest option, I think.

The Wesmar website lists several FL sources of potential tech support. Since you acted as your own instrument electrical installer contractor, the whose at fault here discussion does little good. Just hook it up per the book, with the right help.

The Wesmar website lists several FL sources of potential tech support. Since you acted as your own instrument electrical installer contractor, the whose at fault here discussion does little good. Just hook it up per the book, with the right help.

System was sold through an installer in Mexico. But they don't do a ton of this type of work, and converting from 12V to 24V was not anticipated. I am really disappointed that I cannot get basic tech information from Wesmar and looking for solutions. Their manual states there are three components that attach to 24V, but only one of them state power requirements (the display head - 10W). Yet their tech support state a 10A/24V (240W) circuit is required. That's a big difference - and deserves an explanation. In my opinion, these are basic design features the OEM should support.

Thanks! Will call later today during business hours.

I can not find Jason's business card, but I think that is his number. If it is not, just make sure that you get a hold of Jason. HE IS VERY HELPFUL & really knows the systems.

call Jason Smith at Wesmar,
425-481-2296

I reached Jason via email (he's a commercial boat show or something in Alabama). The specs on the Newmar 12v to 24v (7A) step-up transformer will work fine, and it's fairly compact - 3.5"x3.5"x1.75". Plan is to power the Converter via the existing 12V breaker labeled "Stabilizers" so operation will be identical to old system.

Stabi - thanks so much for the recommendation.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom