Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #39
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I have never understood this logic. It is the same with batteries, oil, tires, steel and the list goes on. Company X builds a product that we will call a Duck and does a right nice job by building a quality product for which they charge accordingly. Company WM sells company X's product in their store but the margin is not what WM wants. So WM goes to Company X and says "hey can you build that product for us under our own label but for less money?". Company X's say "if we could built it for less and keep it as good don't you think we would have done so? We could make more on it or sell it for less". WM says "we thought of that but we really don't care if it is as good as you make yours we just want something like yours but cheaper so we can make as much as you do". Company X says " well we can make it look like a Duck, we can make it walk like a Duck but it will have shorter legs and it won't Quack as loud nor will it be able to fly because we have to remove most of the wing surface due to costs but it will look just like our Duck except it will be different and not cost as much and you can call it Mallard". WM says OK and there you have it. Company X builds both products but one has their name on it and the other has WM on it. So saying that WM's Mallard is as good as X's Duck is a mind game. It is cheaper for a reason plain and simple.

Do we need to go back to the Anchors from China again?

Anyone remember the Cadillac Cimarron and the Chevrolet Cavalier? Both J cars but one cost $12k and the other was $9k. Same car built by the same company and some were built in the same GM plant. But there were differences aside from some chrome and name plates. Real leather in the Cimarron, real walnut on the dash and doors. Things like this were easily seen. But the fact that the wire harness made by Packard Electric in Warren OH was different was not easily seen nor was it widely known. The harness for the Chevrolet had all of it's clips and spades crimped on where as the one for the Cimarron had all of it's clips and spades crimped and soldered. Much more costly to make but better reliability.

So as I said in the beginning, I don't understand why we think that someone can make it cheaper for another company than they do for their own company.
You are kidding right? It's called marketing and once you have a rep...it's easier to charge a higher price...just like WalMarts rep for selling brand stuff at a lower price.

Ever order stuff direct from a manufacturer? Often it's more expensive than ordering it from a retailer.

Plus I never suggested that WalMart oil was the "best" on the market...just better than many bigger name brands. Plus I'm not sure of anything including whether syn is better or multis are bad.

All I suggested was an independent testing lab said Supertech (WalMart) oil had chemical properties that put it in the running with most all other oils.

I didn't do the test so don't fall into the trap that I'm the idiot that didn't do any homework...I still use Rotella and pay the premium...why? Probably because I don't believe everything I hear or see either...but what I wrote was verified by an independent...so who ya gonna believe...manufacturer ads or independent testing? Are we to the point where everyone's a liar???
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote