Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check this one out guys. A deluxe, luxury trawler look with a planing hull and twin diesels, but is that a built-in 60 Yamaha O/B get home engine with a walk-around swim platform? Talk about ease of maintenance. Someone help me believe my eyes!

https://eaglecraft.bc.ca/portfolio-item/eaglecraft-43-pilothouse-cruiser/

A quick look at their website discloses that you can get whatever propulsion you want when you order a custom built boat from them. Campbell River has had Daigle Welding (Eagle Craft boats) building top end boats for the fishermen, Pleasure and Commercial, for decades.
An outboard as a trolling motor wouldn't be my choice, but it must work for some.

because they are..............

3540362360_logo.jpg

:d

lol!!

another pic Eaglecraft

Took this one on the 17th in Campbell River

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 82
I'd rather be adrift than have that outboard hanging on my lovely transom everyday.

You are 50 miles up a narrow twisting mountain lined inlet, haven't seen another boat for days, the radio won't work because of the mountains, your main engine dies, and there are no tow services anyway...what to do?

You are 50 miles up a narrow twisting mountain lined inlet, haven't seen another boat for days, the radio won't work because of the mountains, your main engine dies, and there are no tow services anyway...what to do?

Look good with my clean transom, hope the beer holds out.

The guy had 2 main engines. The boat includes the option for an outboard for trolling,.
May I suggest maybe just maybe there is a modification they can make to both or one main engine allowing it to be used for trolling.

WOW Larry - That's quite an Aluminum boat! Thanks for showing the link.

400 hp twin Volvo diesels, nearly 1 nmpg at 27 knots... top end of 31 knots. With a good sized get home o/b in walk around swim step! It's basically a large version of my 34' Tolly - On Jumped-Up Steroids!!

Gotta wonder why have a gasoline o/b taking up so much swimstep room when there are two diesel twins aboard?? Also...what happens to handling in a following sea; or, a confused sea? And... outdrives in water all the time?? - That one scares me regarding corrosion and lastability.

For s&g... Video at 2 min 48 seconds shows 48' Tollycraft out the rear window. LOL :D
I was thinking it would be great to have for slow trolling, or easing out of a quiet anchorage without bothering the neighbors.
Or anytime you just need to move the boat a little.

I can only speak about my Cumming 380. At 800 RPMs my boat is barely moving.

I'd much rather have good, reliable, serviceable twins with independent fuel tanks than an outboard as a get-home. With good twins, if I can't get / keep at least one running, something has gone seriously wrong.

IF someone insists on an outboard, use a diesel outboard so one does not need 2 different kinds of fuel.

IF someone insists on an outboard, use a diesel outboard so one does not need 2 different kinds of fuel.

On your dinghy as well? How many here have diesel outboards on their dinghy so as to not have two types of fuel on board?

Once again folks, that outboard is not intended to be a "get home" engine.

Absolutely agree, Dan. I’m just fascinated with the application. New lighter, electronically-controlled diesel outboards are arriving on the market. With my single Yanmar, I’d treasure a similar setup with say, something like a 20-25 HP diesel outboard that could drop through my swim platform for get home, high wind docking maneuvers, super strong stern thruster and quiet troll through nature areas. Easy walk around maintenance. If it wasn’t for the price of a new diesel O/B, I’d start on the project tomorrow. One can still find the occasional Older Yanmar 27 and 34 HP diesel outboard, but they weigh a ton and rattle like crazy.

Hope you have spare pants aboard!

Been there and done that - at low slack water to get some push up Belize Inlet. Went to the head of Alison Inlet. Very pretty. Very quiet. Saw one other boat on the way in and one on the way out. No vhf reception at all back there.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/get-home-47866.html

See Koliver's post above. That outboard on the Daigle boat has nothing to do with a get home engine. It's primary use is as a trolling engine when fishing. VERY common in this area although most are much smaller on smaller boats. But the same idea.

Koliver’s post was clear and understood, as is yours. True, the intention of the extra O/B engine is for trolling.

Passed on ICW south of JAX

Attachments

• Resized_20191129_113159.jpg
    Resized_20191129_113159.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 128
Oh man. That’s some serious “working with what you have” right there. Respect.

Would not want to be caught in a big blow in that thing however. [emoji23]

Cardude--

I owned NAMASTE from her launch in 1979 until about ten years ago. I sold her because I had taken up Vintage road racing and could only afford one obsession at a time!

NAMASTE was originally designed and built as a conventional tri-cabin with a FB and lower station in the main salon and was cruised in southern waters. However after a few years of traveling offshore I saw the wisdom of a pilothouse and Seaton designed one that we "tacked on" to the main cabin. This made a good boat into a great one!

My family and I had a lot of good years on NAMASTE and I believe her present owner is giving her the love that she deserves.

BEST--MICHAEL ORITT

I can only speak about my Cumming 380. At 800 RPMs my boat is barely moving.

380hp?

Our Cummins 350hp engine idles at 800rpm, clicked in gear its probably down a bit on that but pushes us at 5 knots.

380hp?

Our Cummins 350hp engine idles at 800rpm, clicked in gear its probably down a bit on that but pushes us at 5 knots.

Assuming he's talking about a QSB 380hp, I'm pretty sure idle speed on that is something like 600 rpm normally. So 800 would be a bit off-idle for him.

My friends father purchased an old Aluminum Burger or Broward, I 'm sorry I cannot remember. His pre-purchase survey was deficient and in a few years they discovered the hull had sacrificed so much that it was no longer insurable. The boat was scrapped. Not sure who paid. A high quality ultra sound or ultra sonic inspection of the hull is a must for a hull of that age. Burgers are like Packards, for many there is nothing finer.

Adjustments.jpg
This was my baby. The Heart of Gold. Steel Burger. Too many inaccessible places in the hull, so yes, steel plates needed to be cut and welded. Labor of love.

Wisconsin to Australia and back. From calm seas to 30ft monsters. Those WW2 aluminum Jimmies never missed a beat!

A couple questions please.

1. You had fuel for a trans pacific?

2. How did you know you needed to weld in new and where were the most common areas? You could not use a bore scope to nose around some, or this was before bore scopes?
I ask the second question because I think I want a steel trawler. Can you tell me the major positives and negatives for steel construction? Thank you for any comments. Bill

View attachment 97148
This was my baby. The Heart of Gold. Steel Burger. Too many inaccessible places in the hull, so yes, steel plates needed to be cut and welded. Labor of love.

Wisconsin to Australia and back. From calm seas to 30ft monsters. Those WW2 aluminum Jimmies never missed a beat!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom