Happy Thanksgiving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same to you Steve!

All TF'rs? We had ours over a month ago :D

Have a good one :thumb:

All TF'rs? We had ours over a month ago :D

Have a good one :thumb:

Since Snowbirding, we have learned that Thanksgiving is the biggest of the holiday times in SoCal and likely across the US. Very different from home in Canada, where ThxG is just another stat holiday, one extra day off for those still working, an excuse to see the kids and grandkids for the rest.

So Happy Thansgiving to all of our American friends!

Since Snowbirding, we have learned that Thanksgiving is the biggest of the holiday times in SoCal and likely across the US. Very different from home in Canada, where ThxG is just another stat holiday, one extra day off for those still working, an excuse to see the kids and grandkids for the rest.

So Happy Thanksgiving to all of our American friends!

Actually I think Christmas is still the "biggest," and I would say growing, but Thanksgiving is a close second.

Anyway, as a Irish/British/American, married to a New Zealand/British/American, having lived in the States for 34 years now... Happy Turkey Day!

We are having lamb! :dance:

Last edited:
Gotta admit, it’s my favorite holiday of the year. Family, food, football.

The pies!
IMG_7216.jpg

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Cheers!

Just this minute got an email; Bed Bath and Beyond is open from 5 to midnight today.

Crazy.

Happy Thanksgiving
Apple and Pumpkin pies and pecan crusted sweet potato casserole.
:)

Attachments

• DBDE36A6-4C7A-4F86-9128-58CEDAD1DA7C.jpg
    DBDE36A6-4C7A-4F86-9128-58CEDAD1DA7C.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 32
Happy Thanksgiving!! Well this thread got me thinking, how to full-time live-a-boards cook the Turkey on the boat?? I am in charge of getting that 25 pound beast into the oven at noon today and started to wonder how that would work on a boat where the ovens may not be as big. Anyone working magic on a boat today??

A few years ago we solved that problem we loaded up the Eastern Shores Marina curtesy van plus one other boat owners van and ten transient boaters had Thankgiving dinner at Cracker Barrel. I think there was ten boaters that had never met before having Thanksgiving dinner together, it was another great boating expierience.

Greetings,
Mr. MP. I really like Mr. HDH's solution although CB wouldn't be my first choice but I'd go along with majority vote.
While we do not live aboard, I've put out a few spreads with our smaller oven. Given there is only so much space for a sit down meal, our guest list seldom exceeds 10 diners which also determines the actual size of whatever is cooking/roasting/baking.
I'll eat almost anything but turkey is at the bottom of the list. Now a nice Prime Rib for 10 would do quite nicely, thank you very much. Rare to medium rare. Yorkshire pudding, mashed taters (to go with the PR gravy) and a veg or two.

I was informed we're hosting family Xmas dinner again this year. Last time it was 25 eaters and YES, I did do a turkey. I DO have some assistance so the only thing I really have to worry about is the "bird". I'll make apple pies (probably 3 or 4) and two or three loaves of bread or the equivalent in buns the day before. Easy-peasy in the dirt house. Nigh on next to impossible aboard.

The Admiral does not cook.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my imaginary friends on TF....and all those TF friends I've met, too. Looking forward to seeing many of you in Fort Pierce this Feb 20-23. You're my kind of peeps.

Gobble-gobble! Cheers!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• D2FFFB58-33BA-4176-92F2-E8308773C985.jpeg
    D2FFFB58-33BA-4176-92F2-E8308773C985.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Wifey B:

Many businesses opened this afternoon. We've chosen not to open any of ours today. In fact, we're promoting the thought that you don't have to stand in line for hours or break away from your family or get up at some ungodly hour or be there when the doors open to get the best deals.

As to the holiday, we're often cruising and people still have Thanksgiving Dinner at our home, even when we're not there. I remember us doing turkeys on board in Marina Del Rey one year. However, this year, it feels good to be home. This is why we will always have a land home, regardless of how much we cruise. We just have a few members of our extended family here today. Ages 5 to 66. I'm so on clouds because my niece Aurora is here for the week. I had a blast taking her shopping for designer outfits. :blush: :hide:

Today a sit down, served meal and otherwise relaxing by the pool plus paddlleboards and kayaks. Let's see who is here. Hubby and me. That's 2. Tabitha, Beth, David makes 5. Melissa, her parents and three sisters. Up to 11. Carm, Jenn, Karen, Brit, Diane, Veronica, Lisa, that's 18. James, Anna, Dena, Blake, Stephanie, Renee, Jeff, Maria, Nikki, Scarlett. That's 28. Frank, Betty, Tiffany, Rich, Aurora. 33. Julie, Michelle, Juliet and another Michelle. 37. Small family gathering. :D

It's not about the food to me, but about gathering with family. We didn't have such a family most of our life and these are all "acquired family." Aurora started calling them all her cousins at 3 or so and she has it right. It's not who was born to whom, but it's the relationships.

They are what I'm thankful for today, each and every person I listed. I'm so lucky to have them in my life. As a child, we never celebrated Thanksgiving and had no real family. Even Hubby and I typically went out to eat or grilled steaks at home with just us in NC. Then something happened. If you have family by birth and they've always been there, then please show them you're thankful. Often people who do think everyone does, but take it from me, many don't. If you're not with family and friends, then maybe it's possible next year, perhaps a new tradition. Pick people you'd like to spend the day with and call them family and enjoy. :dance:

Last edited:
Not happy for all parties concerned!

Attachments

• 1E6BDB9A-B36D-43F9-A818-DB322CEF1E33.jpeg
    1E6BDB9A-B36D-43F9-A818-DB322CEF1E33.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 32
Well that's nice.

Here, the little lady did good! Lamb roast, mint sauce, with roasted spuds! Chuck in a few brussels, swede and carrots; an Irishman's dream plate! (Meat, spuds,and two veg). Happy Thanksgiving all!

Attachments

• IMG_20191128_181205197-1638x1229.jpg
    IMG_20191128_181205197-1638x1229.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 35
I posted this on Facebook in the same vein...

I know we all have our Thanksgiving rituals. We plod along and do the things that we have always done....and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I was just sitting here, next to my bubbly little Wendy Schnell, and thinking what we have to be thankful for....I am forever humbled by the blessings bestowed upon us. The biggest blessing to me is my family and friends. Life would be worth nothing without them. I say my prayers every single night and those prayers always start with a "THANK YOU....THANK YOU....THANK YOU"....For I am truly not worthy of what God has blessed me with...and those blessings are each and every one of you. Thank you for being there. Hopefully I can be there for you!! Just remember...I know this is a holiday we all love because it brings us all together(my favorite holiday for exactly that reason). But I challenge you to make Thanksgiving every single day. Focus on your blessings every day and life will be just fine!! If God is love(and he is), then I am surrounded by God!!! Happy Thanksgiving y’all!!!...and thank you God!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker, tomorrow is the first day of Advent. The question for this season that we need to ask ourselves is "are we ready for the second coming?"

The reading at church tonight was Mathew 24:36. to 24:44.

If there are two of us standing side by side at the coming, which one will He take with Him?

The first candle is lit tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom