Monk 36 Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Archipelago

Hi, I'm a potential owner of a share in a 1985 Monk 36. There used to be a Monk Owners Group on Yahoo. It appears that Yahoo shut down all groups. Does anyone know if the Monk Association Group has resurfaced elsewhere?
Thanks, Rob

Don't know if it's the same group but there's an Ed Monk Boats group on Facebook.

Monk 36 Transducer Angle

We want to install a transducer for a Lowrance HDS-12 on a Monk 36. Does anyone know what the appropriate angle of the transducer should be?
Thanks, Rob

We want to install a transducer for a Lowrance HDS-12 on a Monk 36. Does anyone know what the appropriate angle of the transducer should be?
Thanks, Rob
Rob
I'm assuming you are looking at a tilted element style not a fairing block style. With the fairing blocks they are cut to match whatever deadrise you have and the Tdcr is the same.
I'm guessing the deadrise will vary some depending on where you intend to place it ( it did on my SD Mainship hull) If you locate where you want it it should be fairly easy to determine the deadrise angle from inside the hull using an adjustable carpenter's square or make a cardboard template and measure the angle using a cheap plastic circle / angle gauge.

Thanks very much for your thorough response. I was just wanting to jump the gun a bit in order to buy a transducer on Black Friday sale. I see your point however. The location of the transducer must be determined first in order to measure correct dead rise.
Thanks again, Rob

Rob and others.
The TF site team has "discussed" the Monk forum situation and agrees it makes sense to add Monk to the Builders Forum section.
You should see the Monk category within a day or so.
Welcome all to TF and hope it helps fill the void created by Yahoo.
I'm a Mainship owner and many MS owners on Yahoo are joining the TF ranks as well.

Hi Bacchus, thanks for that too. I'll look for the Monk thread on the builder forum in a few days.
Rob

[emoji106] Hope it works well for the Monk owners

Unless there is something oddball about the intended transducer there is no need to determine placement before purchasing the T.D.

I assume what you are getting is a unit that mounts on the inside of the hull and shoots through the hull. If so then the actual placement can be determined after purchase.

Use something like Dippidy Doo or another hair gel which is water soluble for clean up after to smear on the mounting area and the T.D. face to provide a good shoot through media.
If the area for mounting is reasonably flat then it is easy to check but the engine should be running as sometimes engine vibration can affect them so the T.D. must be mounted as far away as possible. If you get a good reading then the T.D. can be epoxied to the hull.

If the best or at least a good spot is on too much deadrise then often they can be mounted with a plastic pipe of PVC epoxied to the hull cut to match the deadrise angle. Then fill the pipe with a light oil for the T.D. to shoot through. You will just need to use a cap of the pipe size to hold the T.D. in place.

But usually all this is done after the T.D. purchase.

At least that is how I did mine.

Ok. Well that's good to know. I've never seen a transducer epoxied to the inside of the hull. I assumed that the transducer installation would be similar to others that I've had - drill a hole through the hull, insert the tranducer, bed it and tighten the backing ring on the inside of the hull.

https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fi...NNMHhLlGyfQX6_CzV0esCe37xkK_WSP8aAsPYEALw_wcB

I would think that a through hull mount would provide better resolution.

Thanks for your response. Rob

I have a Monk 36, the Monk Owners Association about 2 weeks ago moved from Yahoo groups to a new site as shown below. it is a good group lots of experienced owners willing to help.

https://groups.io/g/MONK36OwnersAssociation
any problems:
This site is available to Monk 36 Owners Association Members. If you are not a member and would like to join, please contact:
Gayle Wix
E-mail: MOASecretary7@GMail.com

I have two transducers one is mounted in a fitting drilled through the hull on the boat when I bought it. The other I added is a "shoot through the hull" no hole in the hull. It is a Garmin unit with "puck type" transducer, I tested it in several spots in the hull (which is solid not cored), Using a water filled bag placed against the inside of the hull. At a spot where I got a good reading I mounted the transducer puck, I took a big wad of softened toilet sealing ring wax and placed it on the inside of the hull and squished the puck down into it so I got a good bubble free mounting with the flat bottom of the puck level. It has been there without problems for about 6 years now. This is a digital numbers only readout depth finder I don't know how well this would work with a more sophisticated display, but it would be easy to try.
Good luck, the Monk 36 is a fine, well built boat I'm sure you will be pleased with it.

Last edited:
Ok. Well that's good to know. I've never seen a transducer epoxied to the inside of the hull. I assumed that the transducer installation would be similar to others that I've had - drill a hole through the hull, insert the tranducer, bed it and tighten the backing ring on the inside of the hull.

Lowrance TotalScan L/H Thru Hull Single Silver | Waveinn

I would think that a through hull mount would provide better resolution.

Thanks for your response. Rob
Rob
C electric is correct for shoot thru / inside mounted TD.
You have 3 basic choices in TDs.
In hull as he described - I had one of these on my MS 34 and gave better than expected results but won't give water temp. They sell mounting kit that has adjustable angle.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw25iJkhR-6100g75bhwkOcj

A flush mount thru-hull TD is available in many models but looks like 0*, 12* & 20* angled varieties. These should be avail with. & w/o temp sensing
Factory Outlet Store

The one you linked in your last post with a fairing block is the one I installed and provides sea temp.
Airmar fairing block that I used is plastic and gets cut to the dead rise angle and the top half goes inside and bottom half outside the hull so the TD mounts verticle.

A complete summary

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwBnoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2d6eHDNz2WG-EW5mEg6bF1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwBnoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2d6eHDNz2WG-EW5mEg6bF1

Lots of decisions & choices. If temp not important the inside mounted shoot through style is the easiest and best done while in the water. Others require boat to be out of the water.
Hope that helps

Thanks to all who responded to my initial inquiries. All responses were very informative and helpful. The main objective is to have a transducer that will supply a high resolution image in order to determine bottom contour and texture. The Airmar B-60 looks good and is reasonably priced. Thanks for the reference Steve.

Thanks too for tracking down the Monk Owners Association. I'll contact them directly.

Trawler Forum - what a great resource for the boating community.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Rob

If you were planning to use side scanning features, the transducer needs to have a clear shot out both sides. The keel will block one side of a typical through hull mount. Most side scan capable transducers are transom mount.

We don't really need the side scanning feature, just stsa aight shot at the bottom returning a high resolution picture. But good point - thanks. Airmar B60 confirmed as best choice. $420cdn at Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo, BC.
Low profile
600 watts, 50/200 dual frequency
2" hole
Comes 0, 12, or 20 degrees bevel
There's a "tilt adjustment" of 2 - 3 degrees in each.

Colin at Hbr Chandler told be about an app thats all about transducers, calculating dead rise, etc. etc.: iNstall for IOS and Android. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - there seems to be an app for everything else. It measures dead rise for you. Just put your phone on edge where you want transducer and it calculates angle of dead rise. Easy as can be. I guess one might have to correct for list if there is one. Lots of other good information as well.

Sliding door skeleton lock replacement

We have a 1985 Monk 36. We’re needing to replace our skeleton key lock set in our outside sliding doors. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement or alternative?

Attachments

• E5E627A7-315B-402B-928E-874D0895DE02.jpg
    E5E627A7-315B-402B-928E-874D0895DE02.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
There is a pivot point inside the locking mechanism. Some how it’s lot level, and can push tree high end back down to level it and just goes back up. The lock that comes out of the end is on this angle as well. This makes locking very difficult. Do you know of any alternatives that work well?

There is a pivot point inside the locking mechanism. Some how it’s lot level, and can push tree high end back down to level it and just goes back up. The lock that comes out of the end is on this angle as well. This makes locking very difficult. Do you know of any alternatives that work well?
No. We have one that is broke. That door is locked from the inside with a slide bolt. We use the working lock for entry.
I did find one lockset a few years ago that is small enough but needs talented woodwork to make it fit. I'm having trouble finding the purchase order.
Google search for:
Sliding door mortise cam lock

Here is one that is close:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/locks/cabinet/41981-cut-sliding-door-locks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom