Old 11-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
squimmy27
Veteran Member

City: John Wayne Marina, Sequim Bay
Vessel Name: Magic Carpet
Vessel Model: 1979 Universal Marine 42
Maintenance Project Prioritization after Haul-out

Hi All:
I've recently purchased 1979 41' Universal Marine Trawler, for a part-time live-aboard in the PNW. Well-maintained by previous owner (who owned for near 25 years until his passing, but it had been essentially idle in port for 2+ years except for occasional outings by the son (who has his own boat)).

There were obvious seaworthy areas to address with obsolete/frozen thru-hulls, fiberglass crackings, rudder mounting leaks, hull bottom, etc. that I've taken care in the haul-out. During that time, we identified a decent list of engine (leaks), generator (raw water leak), batteries/electrical (hornet's nest), really dated electronics - I need to make a rough sequence/timeline of work to get on the schedules of the various skill-sets & align with my maintenance budget.

In general, if urgency really doesn't come into play, I've been schooled to take care of the 'short-queue' items first, then move onto the longer items. My gut tells me the electrical spaghetti mess should be addressed first although that may take some time for me to map/track/document. I feel that information would contribute to the discussion on the batteries, battery charger/inverter (maybe not)/generator upgrades.

Curious on others' take...Regards...
squimmy27 is offline   Reply With Quote