View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
moparharn

City: Detroit
Repair cost opinions

I apologize in advance for asking this question without providing a great deal of specifics.
If you were to guess at the cost of repairing a mid 1980's 44-48 foot trawler with your checkbook only, what would you guess these costs to be?

1.Removal and replacement of steel fuel tanks of roughly 300-500 gallon capacity, one on each side. I understand that many people are simply repairing the tanks now with an outside company coming to your boat and coating the inside of the tank with something durable. I am not sure if this could work so I am saying replacement.

2. If you need to pull the motors to perform tank replacement, I would want the motors and transmissions freshened up as they likely have 35 years and 4,000 to 8,000 hours. Let's assume Caterpillar 3208 375 hp and twin disk.
Let's also assume the castings are fine.

3. Let's also assume that the stringers are wet throughout the engine room and we will replace them during this project as well.

This is my completely wild ass guess at costs.

Removal and replacement of engines $6,000
Removal and replacement of tanks with engines out $8,000
Motor and trans refresh both sides $16,000
Stringer replacement $6,000
Project total $36,000

Does anyone have an opinion of this swag? Does anyone have experience with these costs? Checkbook only, absolutely no work performed by the owner.

This issue keeps coming up in my boat searches and is likely a logical result of my interest and budget. I am not wanting to change either yet at this point. I know this question is going to create some heartburn for some people on the forum. I would appreciate any real life experiences that could be shared with me. Thank you. Bill
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote