Furuno for Dummies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjm911

Vessel Name
Sea Glass
Vessel Make
DeFever 49 CPMY
I recently purchased a new-to-me boat. I am having a variety of "operational challenges". I would like to become better educated on the systems so that I can ask smart questions. Where can I find introduction information / training on the Furuno systems? I have all the operator's manuals for the equipment onboard and am working my way through these. In short, is there "Furuno for Dummies" guide?

I have the following equipment:

Lower Helm
- MU-155C MFD
- RD-30
- NavPilot 500

Upper Helm
- NAVnet VX2 C-Map Max SD
- GD-1930C Plotter
- NavPilot 511
- RD-30
- Marine Radar 1xx4c (tbd).

The Vx2 is pretty old, but lots of them still in service. Your best bet may be to find a dock neighbor with one who could walk you through it.

Otherwise I’d suggest picking a subject, read that part of the manual, then practice with manual at hand to master it. Then
Pick another topic and repeat.

Thanks, all. Yes - DeFever 44+5, Sea Glass. Good decoding, Angus99! I'll start with the vides and then hit the books.

Are you sure about the GD-1930C because I cannot find it on the FurunoUSA site.

I have NavNet VX2 with the following similar gear, at least for your upper helm:

GD-1920C Plotter/MFD (AKA RPD-149) with optional ARP11 circuit board and C-Map
GP-320B antenna
1824C radar
NAVPILOT 511 AP
FA-30 AIS module
ETR 6/10N sounder module

It is connected via NMEA 183 to my DSC VHF radio

I spent a lot of time dockside at the helm with the inch-thick 1920C manual in my lap pressing buttons getting to know the system. I sometimes found the manual to be a bit off and called Furuno tech assist to get straightened out. They are great. I also called on Steve Sipe of this forum to help me get my laptop connected to the system because I use Coastal Explorer there where many years of tracks and routes are stored. Transferring in routes to and from the limited storage of the the GD-1920C is a snap with this setup, and I can use the Furuno GPS on the laptop to have a second nav system running.

I find that it is essential for me, a former professional mariner of many years, to practice with this system because the many menus and modes of operation can be confusing if it has been awhile since you used them. Once I have the system set for daytime cruising, I will seldom have to make any changes, but when heading home at sunset, the radar comes on and usually needs some adjusting. I have found the radar is where I needed some extra self-training, especially in figuring out what their version of FTC is all about, and I have taken to running it for at least a few minutes every time underway whether I need the radar or not to test myself of one aspect of it or another, especially the Gain controls. You can press the wrong button and lose the radar returns completely.

If you would like to pick what is left of my brain, I will be happy to send a cell number to you via the personal messaging here on the TF, and we can climb aboard our respective boats (mine is just out back) and work on any problem you have.

The Navnet Vx 2 system might not be current production, but is is a very reliable, very robust platform.

I have a three staton VX2 system and am pretty familiar with it.

The Navnet VX2 system uses plain old layer 2 ethernet as a communications backbone. This allows any display to do anything. The RADAR is physically connected to one display, as are any NMEA 0183 devices, as that is a physical connection. Sounder(s) AIS, and possibly your autopilot are all ethernet connected. Again, any display can do anything. For example I typically like my radar on the left, charting on the center, and sounder on the right. But when I anchor in order to save power I use my left display (as it is the one with the alarm siren attached) to have a split screen with plotter and sounder data. and turn the others off.

The first thing I would do is power everything up and make sure that every display can show every type of data (chart, sounder, radar) once you get that down then it’s just choosing how to display your data, and things like zoom levels, gain on sounders, RADAR operation etc...

I’ll walk you through the first step. On the right side of any display there are the control buttons. On the upper left of this group of control buttons is the DISP button. That is where you choose what you want that display to do.

Start there and see what functions on your new to you boat are active.

Then read the manual and play. The manuals are available online from furuno.

Attachments

• AB327E1B-E588-466D-B7D2-95B8F2F0F6E8.jpg
    AB327E1B-E588-466D-B7D2-95B8F2F0F6E8.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Are you sure about the GD-1930C because I cannot find it on the FurunoUSA site?

I have NavNet VX2 with the following similar gear, at least for your upper helm:

GD-1920C Plotter/MFD (AKA RPD-149) with optional ARP11 circuit board and C-Map
GP-320B antenna
1824C radar
NAVPILOT 511 AP
FA-30 AIS module
ETR 6/10N sounder module

It is connected via NMEA 183 to my DSC VHF radio

I spent a lot of time dockside at the helm with the inch-thick 1920C manual in my lap pressing buttons getting to know the system. I sometimes found the manual to be a bit off and called Furuno tech assist to get straightened out. They are great. I also called on Steve Sipe of this forum to help me get my laptop connected to the system because I use Coastal Explorer there where many years of tracks and routes are stored. Transferring in routes to and from the limited storage of the the GD-1920C is a snap with this setup, and I can use the Furuno GPS on the laptop to have a second nav system running.

I find that it is essential for me, a former professional mariner of many years, to practice with this system because the many menus and modes of operation can be confusing if it has been awhile since you used them. Once I have the system set for daytime cruising, I will seldom have to make any changes, but when heading home at sunset, the radar comes on and usually needs some adjusting. I have found the radar is where I needed some extra self-training, especially in figuring out what their version of FTC is all about, and I have taken to running it for at least a few minutes every time underway whether I need the radar or not to test myself of one aspect of it or another, especially the Gain controls. You can press the wrong button and lose the radar returns completely.

If you would like to pick what is left of my brain, I will be happy to send a cell number to you via the personal messaging here on the TF, and we can climb aboard our respective boats (mine is just out back) and work on any problem you have.

I had similar Furuno1920/30 series on previous boat. Thd RD30 is just a repeater usually set to show depth. U just need too spend some with the manual then start pushing buttons. What starts off as confusing, quickly makes sense and works easily. I wish I still had that system on my present boat instead of the Simrad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom