Midway - The Movie Personal Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
It was cold and wet yesterday so we took ourselves off to see this in the afternoon. We are a big navy city and the cinema was surprisingly full for that time of the day - mostly men in their 70s and 80s, so guessing retired navy.

I would give the movie a 6 out of 10. No spoilers below for those planning on going to see it.

The good:

Like Pearl Harbor the FX were very good.
Afterwards we fact-checked a lot of what we learned from the movie and found it all very accurate and true to history - even the role John Ford the movie director played (and may actually have been downplayed in the movie!).
They kept it focused on the lead up to the sea-battle and the battle itself. There were no romantic characters, scenes and relationships ala Pearl Harbor. Just some home scenes. So certainly in no way a "chick-flick."

The not-so-good:

The first third of the movie was on other aspects of the war against Japan, including Pearl Harbor and a few other major events. I felt they could have passed on those and focused more on the Midway battle itself - especially on the strategy and decisions on both sides.
Some of the acting was not where it should have been, with the focus really on the action scenes maybe it didn't have to be.

The awful:

I didn't care for the script. I found it full of cliches and peppy conversations.

Finally, on researching some stuff afterwards we found that the lead airman only passed in 2001 and the last survivor of Doolittle's Raid this year (2019)!

We just saw it; while there certainly were flaws, the overall entertainment value was solid, and we enjoyed it very much.

For the record- if you an IPIC theater near you, go. No children, all seats are recliners, and food/full bar service are available at your seat.

From what I have read Hitler attacked Russia because he thought Japan would attack Russia from the other side.

From what I have read Hitler attacked Russia because he thought Japan would attack Russia from the other side.

I guess Japan decided that they had already awoken one large bear!

Back
Top Bottom