Old 11-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #13
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
That is very odd. It's like they tied the light circuit into the positive lead to the switch, not the switch itself. This is relying on the onboard switch on the light fixture itself. Were switched lights stock in 05? They weren't in 99. This sounds like a PO tired of groping around for the light switch.

My guess is that they are stock, they appear to be.

That is why the courtesy light for both staterooms and the head is at the top of the stairs. Hit the courtesy light going down the stairs regardless of your destination. Then each space has enough light to find and hit the ceiling lights for that space. It's almost like they PO was trying to solve a problem that didn't really exist.

The electric grill would have needed it's own 15 or 20 amp circuit. The outlet and grill would have been on different circuits. Provided the external outlet is GFCI, then I doubt the number of outlets exceeds the spec for a 15 amp circuit.

Makes sense. I guess the grill was hard wired. I think being a factory line build Maniship put all the wiring into each boat, whether it was going to be used or not. I understand the cost savings, but it gets in the way later.

If you have two fuel gauges, then this is easily rectified. I can't imagine why the factory would wire the sender and simply not connect the gauge. Again this sounds like a PO or mechanic in the middle of troubleshooting.

I have a single gauge at each helm. There is a switch at the lower helm that activates either the lower or the upper gauge, but it is only fed from the stb side sender.

In a related note, the sender on my stb tank has failed, but it is impossible to remove without cutting a hole in the floor of the cabinet under the galley sink. I'm going to do that eventually but in the meantime I just track engine hours and keep plenty of fuel in the tanks. I also might install a gauge in the ER that reads off of the port tank. No need to look at it all the time, so it doesn't have to be at the helm. I've considered sight gauges, but I don't really want to cut into the tanks.

Our boat's PO bought it new then didn't do anything at all to it. He is quite wealthy, lives in 4 different houses and bought it as a toy that he never played with. When we bought the boat it was in the yard where it had been since it was new. I kept the boat there for a few months after we bought it and got to know the yard manager. He told me that no one ever did anything to the boat other than a couple of oil changes. So I doubt there was much fiddling with the electrical system going on. Even the batteries were original to the boat...8 years old.

Our buyer's broker, who is a good friend, found the boat for us. The PO was hot to buy another new boat and just wanted ours gone. We offered him 30% below his asking price and about 25% below market value, cash, boat gone in 36 hours. He took it with no negotiation. Our broker is also a surveyor, and like I said, a friend who I trust. He and I went over the boat very carefully but didn't do a formal survey. It was risky, but 7 years later it has worked out OK. A few issues related to marine age/lack of use, but overall a very sound boat.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the messed up stuff came from Mainship.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote