Yachtworld Still Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Sky
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
People resist change, they don't resist improvement.
Still find the new Yachtworld clunky and a challenge to navigate. And now I've discovered that if you want to look up a specific make, it had better be in their list of makes or you are hooped.
An example is Northern Marine. Inputting their name into the "Make" box produces nothing. If it is a well known name such as Nordhavn there will be a drop down menu with various names, including Nordhavn, whose box you tick and away you go.
Maybe I'm missing something so if anyone knows a trick, please help me.

I don’t understand why they took the advanced search option off the front page. That is all I ever use. Now I set the home page to England since the advanced search is still there. Just have to change meters to feet and to US dollars.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but with the new format I can't see how to save parameters for a specific search. With the old format the details were retained, with the new format I have to enter everything each and every time. What gives?

It's awful. Every time I want to search it's more than a dozen clicks before I can get all the parameters set up. Before they were all retained.

I created a bookmark finally but jeez, what a horrible design. Of course my experience is that much of what they do makes no sense, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Yachtworld

My searches no longer include pics. The Advanced Search is not available. I'm looking for diesel, pilothouse, 40 - 62', west coast including Mexico and British Columbia. Does not seem to be available in searches. Really annoyed that pics are not shown in the search, but if I click on the listing pics show up.

Oh, and no more region search. Just by one state or another. Not tedious at all :banghead:
BD

When you open Yachtworld in the upper right there is a US flag. If you click on it it will show other countries. I picked the UK, English. On the UK page the advanced search button is still there. You will have to set meters to feet and select US dollars and then it is the same as the old version. A couple more steps but it is worth it to me. It also still has the regions as far as search areas.

Tried again and still no results; how did you do that?

Found it. Forget all of the search parameters and just enter the search in the upper right corner. Actually seems to make things much easier.

When you open Yachtworld in the upper right there is a US flag. If you click on it it will show other countries. I picked the UK, English. On the UK page the advanced search button is still there. You will have to set meters to feet and select US dollars and then it is the same as the old version. A couple more steps but it is worth it to me. It also still has the regions as far as search areas.

Thanks, works well. Hell of a way to design a website.

I can’t navigate it like I used to, but it’s probably best. I’ve wasted way too much time over the years dreaming .

It's been bad since last year. The mobile page is sometimes better for me than my laptop! Go figure

Hmmm....all the functions of the old advance search are included under "Filters"...even if you pick a state...if you click on it again you get specific cities within the state. Took a little getting use to but I still am able to search as I did before...no clue why they changed it.

Hmmm....all the functions of the old advance search are included under "Filters"...even if you pick a state...if you click on it again you get specific cities within the state. Took a little getting use to but I still am able to search as I did before...no clue why they changed it.

They are not all there. You used to have a number of very helpful filters by region. Regions were things like Northeast, or Great lakes, or Gulf Coast, or Midwest. It was a great way to find freshwater boats for example, or boats that you could get home easily, or I could filter out boats on the west coast that I had no possibility of shipping. Now that's all gone. It's one state or another state or another state but never even more than one state at a time. Incredibly inconvenient when they already had that.

Yachtworld is to boating what Camping World is to RV'ers! Gotta have someone to hate! Just between you and me though, I too am one of the haters!:D It used to be very simple to sort by region, etc and now it a PITA!

Yep. Awful. Change just for the sake of change is STUPID! If they imagine for one minute that they improved their site with these changes, then they are just completely oblivious!

The interesting thing to me is that in every forum I have seen, the opinions seem to be universal and in complete agreement -- the changes SUCK! And yet the folks who run Yachtworld do not seem to be listening, do not seem to care.

Now we just need someone else to come along and offer a little bit of competition, and in a matter of weeks Yachtworld will be about as relevant as MySpace!

I thought initially when I couldn't find advanced search and filters weren't there that the changes were horrible. However, now that the filters are working, in some ways it's even better than before.

Reading through the complaints made in this thread:

The search is very straightforward now if you use filters. It's also more in line with today's norm. Works much the same as Walmart or thousands of other sites.

As to the Northern Marine search, under makes Northern is listed and can be selected.

As to the inability to select regions of the US rather than state by state, that is a weakness in my opinion. It pretty much forces one to choose the entire country.

The search feature responds faster than before so the underlying code appears to be more efficient.

I think Yachtworld shot themselves in the foot by the initial change being so horribly handled and leaving users in the lurch. However, comparing today vs. what we had before, there is very little difference and no loss other than regions within the US. There may even be some new features or at least ones I hadn't noticed before. For instance, the ability to select boats recently added by various time segments. Overall, it's nearly equivalent to what we had before and may or may not still have additional features to come.

However, comparing today vs. what we had before, there is very little difference and no loss other than regions within the US. There may even be some new features or at least ones I hadn't noticed before. For instance, the ability to select boats recently added by various time segments. Overall, it's nearly equivalent to what we had before and may or may not still have additional features to come.

The ability to filter for recent listings was there previously, it's not new.

Sorry, but the biggest difference between old and new is the loss of ability to retain the filter choices so they don't have to be selected each time you want to use the site. I suspect most users use the same criteria each time, so almost all users are effected. It truly is a PITA.

It's also more in line with today's norm. Works much the same as Walmart or thousands of other sites.

I also hate Walmart's search system and I guess thousands of others. The search starts with the full universe of boats- more than 80,000. Then for each search criteria it winnows down the list. Each new term causes the whole list to renew, and at least on my system it takes a few seconds for each. Even the shortest length and the longest length each renews the list. Finally you get all your search criteria in place and you can look at the results.

It takes several times as long to do a complex search with this new system as the old one which sorts through all of the search terms once you hit Search.

I bet yacht brokers absolutely hate it, particularly not being able to save a former search. They are the ones who pay for it.

David

It's terrible. It has been terrible for ages, and is now worse. The main thing they needed to fix was the photos... that's the main thing people want to see, and they put them in a little small box. Why the hell they don't let people view them full screen is beyond me. But sure, go ahead and "fix" advanced searches...

It is a free enterprise model...
If you don't like it, develop a better one and compete with the one everyone hates.

I don't like having an ipad app for it, not having an accessible API, and no realistic way to get an API key, no tech support, and almost no way to store what you like and dislike, no easy way to capture images (I wrote a python script), and a ton of other issues...

It’s the result of web developers thinking they know more than the people who use the web site. They should have collected some yacht brokers together and have them bring in some clients and put them in charge of the redesign.

Tom

Ah, I own a boat so I dont need to search.

When you are the 800-pound gorilla in the industry, you get the feeling that you can do anything you want...

Like Bill Gates said: Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.

This is a great time for a competitor to scoop them and do a better system for less.

"Better" is subjective. Your "better" may not be my "better". LOL

Ah, I own a boat so I dont need to search.

Perhaps you don’t, but 95%+ of boat purchases are made by owners of boats. Thus, one would have to assume that most every search of the site is made by a current owner.

It’s not just changes to search. As someone else pointed out, the presentation of photos has got to be among the worst of any site that presents photos as a primary resource.

Also, let’s not forget that this site has not worked properly on iPads for years. For example, if you accidentally click anywhere on an actual photo, the photo disappears and you must reload the page to get any photos to appear again. This is not exactly the expected result.

The worst part is that the Boat Group simply doesn’t give a rat’s behind. A few years ago their site was infested by an ongoing bug (much discussed here) that took the user to one of those wonderful “you’ve won a prize” sites, over and over again. I tried to tell them about this for months. Nothing.

Finally, I called pretending to be a broker and spoke to an account manager. She was horrified and we traded several emails. I sent her screen shots. She swore she was going to work up the food chain. Well, maybe it’s a coincidence, but about a week later it was fixed.

Sadly, one day last week this happened again, but only once, so far...

Most brokers I know dislike the site and the company, but their market share remains mostly unchallenged. Yatco is out there, but their general arrogance surpasses even that of the Boat Group and they have few fans in the industry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom