The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A small update and some good news. The electrical wizard I've hired has found the issue with the inverter/charger. There was a blown .25 ah frog hair fuse buried deep inside that's been replaced. I now have a couple of spares. The unit now passes bench testing and is currently installed and charging away, which is a massive relief.

I'm going to let everything charge up for a day or two and have them do a load test of my house bank to see what kind of shape it's in. If it needs replacement, I may as well do it while I'm here.

The list got smaller today! Hurray! lol.

whoot whoot whoot!!! :dance:

That will be a big relief for you, glad you have some forward progress!

Excellent news! Yeah agree with checking out the house and replacing if weak. When I first bought my boat the house bank was weak and it caused all kinds of problems. Plus my thruster is wired to the house bank. I replaced my tired old batteries with 4- 125ah AGM Lifelines and they have been good 5 years so far. The bank got way down to 18% when in the Bahamas after the hurricane and they seem to have recovered.

Do you work two weeks on, two off? Just wondering about the time needed to get to Florida and how you manage that.

Last edited:
A small update and some good news. The electrical wizard I've hired has found the issue with the inverter/charger. There was a blown .25 ah frog hair fuse buried deep inside that's been replaced. I now have a couple of spares. The unit now passes bench testing and is currently installed and charging away, which is a massive relief.

I'm going to let everything charge up for a day or two and have them do a load test of my house bank to see what kind of shape it's in. If it needs replacement, I may as well do it while I'm here.

The list got smaller today! Hurray! lol.

Wifey B:

Amazing how bringing in the right guy to help, the wizard as opposed to Speedy, can do for one. While DIY is a worthwhile objective for many, it's always wise to know when using an expert is expeditious and can be a matter of great relief. :D

whoot whoot whoot!!! :dance:

That will be a big relief for you, glad you have some forward progress!

Awesome!!!!

:dance::dance::thumb::dance::thumb:

Wifey B:

Amazing how bringing in the right guy to help, the wizard as opposed to Speedy, can do for one. While DIY is a worthwhile objective for many, it's always wise to know when using an expert is expeditious and can be a matter of great relief. :D

Amen. This particular wizard has been worth his weight in tiny, tiny little fuses.

Excellent news! Yeah agree with checking out the house and replacing if weak. When I first bought my boat the house bank was weak and it caused all kinds of problems. Plus my thruster is wired to the house bank. I replaced my tired old batteries with 4- 125ah AGM Lifelines and they have been good 5 years so far. The bank got way down to 18% when in the Bahamas after the hurricane and they seem to have recovered.

Do you work two weeks on, two off? Just wondering about the time needed to get to Florida and how you manage that.

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning toward AGMs if I need to replace, but hopefully I can get some more life out of these ones. We'll see I guess. I usually work four weeks on, four off. I'm due off the boat a few days before Christmas, and I'm planning on hanging out with family back home until after the first of the year. After that, being the end of the shipping season, my regular schedule tends to go out the window. I may end up going back out on another boat for a week or three. Either way, I should have more than enough time to get to Florida by the middle of February, but then, it's really not critical that I do anyway.

Some more diagnostic progress has been made in the engineering department aboard Sylphide. It's been determined that my house bank has died. It's passed on. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet it's maker. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it'd be pushing up the daisies. It's metabolic processes are now 'istory. It's off the twig. It's kicked the bucket, shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. It is an EX-Battery Bank.

At nearly ten years old, which is much older than I thought they were, I really can't fault them. I have therefore decided to replace said battery bank with Lifeline AGMs of the same capacity.

I've also made some progress regarding my generator issue. I have the utmost respect for the PO of this boat. He really built a hell of a craft. His craftsman's eye, and pathological attention to detail manifest themselves in thousands of ways. One uncharacteristic misstep I have found though, is the way the exhaust is run from the generator to the ship's side. It's a straight run. There's no loop or elbow between the seacock and the exhaust manifold. To his credit, the PO did tell me that I'd need to make sure that seacock was closed whenever the generator wasn't running, and thoroughly explained why. Unfortunately, I failed to do so before venturing out into the sloppy Delaware Bay. After a few minutes of getting my ass handed to me, I realized my mistake, but there was no way I could step away from the helm long enough to close the seacock safely, and by then, it's likely the damage would have already been done anyway.

Long story short, I got seawater into my generator cylinder. It wasn't running at the time, thankfully. I did try to start it once several hours after the fact, but it stalled quickly, and I decided not to tempt fate again. The techs I've consulted believe that there's a very good chance that it's salvageable, so we'll try to do so. In the process, I'm going to have them rework the exhaust so as to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

While this pit stop will be expensive, I'm surprisingly not too bent out of shape about it. Actually quite the opposite. Both of these issues, especially the batteries, were giving me continual low grade anxiety, and it will be a relief to know I have fresh and reliable equipment under my feet. It actually feels pretty good to know I'm improving the boat.

So the batts have gone the way of the Norwegian Blue. Do they share a charger, are the other batts AGM? Or close enough not to matter?
You were wise not to try too hard to start the genset. I once got water past the muffler into a 1 cyl Volvo on a sailboat, exhaust exited on the side which was well under water while we were on our ear for several hours,I broke the crankshaft trying to start it. Hope it`s fixable.
Way better finding what the issues are, you can have a go at fixing them and make progress.

Yup it feels good when you get the chance to do your own improvements. Now she will sure enough feel like your rig and she gonna show you love for it . These boats have a heart also.

Happy to hear the fixes are at hand. Further, perhaps beneficial to be off site for a bit while the issues get resolved.

Progress!

Sorry to hear about the batteries, but I had a hunch. You will be surprised how much better the all boat systems will operate with fresh batteries.

As to the generator, I had a similar issue when I inadvertently got some water in the cylinders while trying to flush it (long stupid story), but I was able to remove the injectors and turn it over and shoot the water out. Oiled the cylinders up, reinstalled the injectors and it fired right up and running great since. So all is not lost there.

Ain’t boating a blast! [emoji30]

It's been determined that my house bank has died. It's passed on. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet it's maker. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it'd be pushing up the daisies. It's metabolic processes are now 'istory. It's off the twig. It's kicked the bucket, shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. It is an EX-Battery Bank.

I'm sure that short paragraph has does not begin to convey the difficult time you had convincing your technician....

But now we know just one more piece of the puzzle of why you fell in love with Sylphide. I looked back at your for sale and earlier pics, and I was surprised I hadn't noticed it before....

Sylphide For Sale 1.jpg

1985 MetalCraft Custom 44 Motor Yacht Image 17a.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

...and in case you don't have a set for the boat, here is a mug I found on amazon....

41dY+eq-gcL.jpg

:D

(and my apologies to mom, but her shoulder was the only place the parrot would fit!:eek:)

Seriously though, we need to get you up to speed - you PROBABLY should have been expecting the batteries to be at end of life. Even the best cared for banks I've been hearing our members talk about last about that long.

You might want to think about the long term battery/charging setup you have. When we bought NWD we knew the batteries were at end of life, and factored that into our purchase. (The PO told us they were toast.) We arrived to get the keys with a new set of house batteries. But we also had the idea that the bank size might be too small for our usage pattern. A younger, tech savvy family tends to use way more juice than a retired couple in their 70's. We quickly determined we did - although I was figuring with pencil and paper because I put the cart before the horse and figured out my battery bank upgrade before I installed the new battery bank monitor. (I did ok, we have repeatedly seen about 180 Ah/day in our 840 Ah bank, close to where I had hoped to be. I would have to do some serious soul searching and relocate the bank to another area of the boat if I wanted to increase it any more - I'm out of space where it is, so 840 Ah (new) is it for us. Solar will help stretch that capacity as we'll really only need overnight capacity, not 24 hr capacity. That should change our daily bank draw considerably during our summer cruising.

I bring this up because you may find your usage patterns / needs different from what your PO felt was needed and you might need more battery capacity. Since you're in a (probably) intensive phase of learning about your charging system it would be a good time to start your mind wandering down this path. There's no rush, but you may find that once you have the operational problems fixed more need to dial in your boat's systems.

I've found battery capacity/solar is a bit of a rabbit hole, but as I'm getting to the end I'm very happy with where we are going to end up. A good chunk of change in lead, chargers, (and soon, alternators), solar charge controllers and panels, and we will basically be set for rare generator use but somewhat generous electrical use (for a boat.)

Sorry to hear about the genset exhaust. Really good to hear your attitude with having the exhaust permanently fixed to prevent that. I would agree that having to remember to close a valve in that piece if equipment every time you use it (or move the boat) is ridiculous, especially a seacock valve for an exhaust. I can see closing raw water intakes for the genset and main when leaving the boat for a long time like you do...

I would agree uncharacteristic for how the boat seems to have been found and maintained. Hopefully there's room for a proper loop? Sounds like you already have professionals on it. Keep us posted, I'm not seeing any photos of all this?!:whistling:

So the batts have gone the way of the Norwegian Blue. Do they share a charger, are the other batts AGM? Or close enough not to matter?
You were wise not to try too hard to start the genset. I once got water past the muffler into a 1 cyl Volvo on a sailboat, exhaust exited on the side which was well under water while we were on our ear for several hours,I broke the crankshaft trying to start it. Hope it`s fixable.
Way better finding what the issues are, you can have a go at fixing them and make progress.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to avoid. I don't know much about much, but I know if you get non-compressable seawater into your cylinder, and then try to compress it, things can go 'ping!'

Yup it feels good when you get the chance to do your own improvements. Now she will sure enough feel like your rig and she gonna show you love for it . These boats have a heart also.

And now she'll have some shiny new valves in that heart.

Happy to hear the fixes are at hand. Further, perhaps beneficial to be off site for a bit while the issues get resolved.

Yessir, I'm back on the big boat for the next month. Happy to have things being addressed while I'm away.

Glad you are making progress. Keep punching at it.

The list is getting shorter!

Progress!

Sorry to hear about the batteries, but I had a hunch. You will be surprised how much better the all boat systems will operate with fresh batteries.

As to the generator, I had a similar issue when I inadvertently got some water in the cylinders while trying to flush it (long stupid story), but I was able to remove the injectors and turn it over and shoot the water out. Oiled the cylinders up, reinstalled the injectors and it fired right up and running great since. So all is not lost there.

Ain’t boating a blast! [emoji30]

Yeah, that's about what we think will need to happen. The seawater will have spent a few days in there, so there may be some flash rust, but hopefully nothing that will need more than a scuff with a scotch brite pad to get rid of.

'Get a boat!' they said! 'It'll be fun!' they said! lol

I'm sure that short paragraph has does not begin to convey the difficult time you had convincing your technician....

But now we know just one more piece of the puzzle of why you fell in love with Sylphide. I looked back at your for sale and earlier pics, and I was surprised I hadn't noticed it before....

View attachment 96688

View attachment 96689

View attachment 96690

...and in case you don't have a set for the boat, here is a mug I found on amazon....

View attachment 96691

:D

Lol, that's cute :) The tech kept trying to convince me that the batteries were just tired from having a good squawk, or that they were just pining for the fjords.

Seriously though, we need to get you up to speed - you PROBABLY should have been expecting the batteries to be at end of life. Even the best cared for banks I've been hearing our members talk about last about that long.

Yeah, I probably should have looked a little closer at that. I guess the issue didn't start to manifest itself until I started spending days away from shore power, which took a while. The batteries were holding enough of a charge to last as long as I needed until then. Oh well, now I know.

You might want to think about the long term battery/charging setup you have. When we bought NWD we knew the batteries were at end of life, and factored that into our purchase. (The PO told us they were toast.) We arrived to get the keys with a new set of house batteries. But we also had the idea that the bank size might be too small for our usage pattern. A younger, tech savvy family tends to use way more juice than a retired couple in their 70's. We quickly determined we did - although I was figuring with pencil and paper because I put the cart before the horse and figured out my battery bank upgrade before I installed the new battery bank monitor. (I did ok, we have repeatedly seen about 180 Ah/day in our 840 Ah bank, close to where I had hoped to be. I would have to do some serious soul searching and relocate the bank to another area of the boat if I wanted to increase it any more - I'm out of space where it is, so 840 Ah (new) is it for us. Solar will help stretch that capacity as we'll really only need overnight capacity, not 24 hr capacity. That should change our daily bank draw considerably during our summer cruising.

I bring this up because you may find your usage patterns / needs different from what your PO felt was needed and you might need more battery capacity. Since you're in a (probably) intensive phase of learning about your charging system it would be a good time to start your mind wandering down this path. There's no rush, but you may find that once you have the operational problems fixed more need to dial in your boat's systems.

I've found battery capacity/solar is a bit of a rabbit hole, but as I'm getting to the end I'm very happy with where we are going to end up. A good chunk of change in lead, chargers, (and soon, alternators), solar charge controllers and panels, and we will basically be set for rare generator use but somewhat generous electrical use (for a boat.)

From what I can tell, the Freedom 2500/130 Inverter/charger should be up to the task and compatible for the new bank. The old bank was 6*250 Amp Hours, and will be replaced with the same capacity. 1500 amp hours should be more than enough hopefully. I would like to add some solar down the line, but for now I'm going to plan on using the genny to stretch out my anchorings. The thing only has 130 hours on it, I might as well get my money's worth. I've got plenty of fuel capacity.

Sorry to hear about the genset exhaust. Really good to hear your attitude with having the exhaust permanently fixed to prevent that. I would agree that having to remember to close a valve in that piece if equipment every time you use it (or move the boat) is ridiculous, especially a seacock valve for an exhaust. I can see closing raw water intakes for the genset and main when leaving the boat for a long time like you do...

I would agree uncharacteristic for how the boat seems to have been found and maintained. Hopefully there's room for a proper loop? Sounds like you already have professionals on it. Keep us posted, I'm not seeing any photos of all this?!:whistling:

I think the poorly laid out exhaust mainly comes down to the OP not ever using the generator, so not really putting any thought into it. He wasn't one to stay at anchor for very long, so he really didn't need it. There is plenty of room for a loop, though it may make for slightly less convenient passage through that portion of the engine room.

At nearly ten years old, which is much older than I thought they were, I really can't fault them. I have therefore decided to replace said battery bank with Lifeline AGMs of the same capacity.

While this pit stop will be expensive, I'm surprisingly not too bent out of shape about it. Actually quite the opposite. Both of these issues, especially the batteries, were giving me continual low grade anxiety, and it will be a relief to know I have fresh and reliable equipment under my feet. It actually feels pretty good to know I'm improving the boat.

Now is maybe a good time to think ahead about whether the same battery capacity is enough, or whether you'd benefit from having more. Now is also the time to compare the 6V vs 12V options if your original bank is made up of all 12V batteries. Lifeline makes 6V AGMs, if you haven't already been giving that some thought...

When I'm in the diagnosis stage (i.e., wondering what the heck the problem is and what it's gonna take to fix it) I can come up with all sorts of nightmare. Once the source of a problem is positively identified, and a course of action laid out to fix it -- and I usually try to fix things better than they were when originally installed, if that's an option -- sleep returns.

-Chris

Now is maybe a good time to think ahead about whether the same battery capacity is enough, or whether you'd benefit from having more. Now is also the time to compare the 6V vs 12V options if your original bank is made up of all 12V batteries. Lifeline makes 6V AGMs, if you haven't already been giving that some thought...

If the necessary height is available and more capacity is desired, L16 6 volts are the best capacity vs footprint form factor I know of in a lead acid battery. But they're about 17" tall. Personally, I've got a pair of Mastervolt L16 AGMs (400ah) for a house bank, they've been rock solid for 2 seasons so far.

Dang...….I should have been following this list. I was in Cape May on the 16th and Annapolis on the 17th and 18th. Would have loved to lay my eyes on Sylphide and said hello to you. Glad to hear of the progress.
Crossed Delaware Bay late on the 16th, it was pretty sporty out there that day.

"The old bank was 6*250 Amp Hours, and will be replaced with the same capacity. 1500 amp hours should be more than enough"

I would say so, I didn't realize your bank was that large! For some reason I had it in my head you had a smaller capacity.

Greetings Earthlings.

It's been a long time since I posted anything, so I thought I'd update anyone who might still be interested.

After all of the holiday ruckus in New York had passed, my father and I loaded up the ol' front wheel drive sleigh, and proceeded in a southerly direction. His ultimate destination was Florida, where he'd be imposing himself on his brother for a couple of months. Along the way, he'd deposit me in Annapolis, where Sylphide had been waiting patiently for my return. Dad stayed aboard for a few days. As is his way, he was simultaneously very helpful, and absolutely maddening, as only a father can be.

As busy as we were, we did manage to squeeze in some fun. We took a trip to DC, and wandered around the Air and Space museum. About half of the place was closed for renovation, but we still got to see some really neat stuff. Dad had an erection for most of the Wright Brothers' exhibit, and seeing the moon dust that still covers Neil Armstrong's moon suit really did it for me. We also went to see 1917, which we both thought was utterly brilliant.

Sylphide herself was in much better condition than I'd left her. Her new bank of AGMs was and is working marvelously. The generator had been serviced, and a new exhaust had been run, complete with a water lock. The new run is also in a much better location than the old one, and makes getting around the engine room easier. A laundry list of other small items were also checked off the list, and while I did leave a large portion of my children's inheritance with them, I really couldn't be happier with the J Gordon Co. who did the work. They were really on the ball. They knew what they were doing, showed up on time and got the work done promptly, and installed things like they were working on their own boat. A really professional outfit.

I left Annapolis in high spirits, and made for Solomons on my first leg. The run down was fair, with choppy seas that made for a marginal but not unsafe ride. I made it in good time, and was happy to have the hook down before dark. The wind picked up shortly after I arrived, just as it was forecast to, and pinned me down there for two nights. The anchor held well, but there was enough wind that I didn't feel like trying a dinghy adventure, so I stayed aboard. My stay at Solomons was mostly fine, but was marred by some new boat issues.

A smell had begun to develop from somewhere in the bilge, and I began to suspect that I may have an issue with my black water system. The smell didn't immediately identify itself as black water, and wasn't the worst thing I'd ever smelled, but it wasn't ideal either. I tried to find a leak, or vent issue, or permeated hose, but was unable to. There was water in the bilge, but I couldn't tell where it had come from, or if the level was rising. I decided to use the system as little as possible. The fresh water pump also seemed to stop working, and the lack of water combined with the smell didn't do much to make me feel at home.

When the gales died off, I hove anchor and shaped a course for Deltaville, VA. The trip was pleasant. Inside, David Sedaris read me some of his stories. Outside, the weather was clear and sunny, but cold. There was a little chop left over from the blow, but it died down throughout the day. As I pulled in a little before a lovely sunset, it had gone calm and quiet. Extremely quiet, in fact. It was the kind of quiet that makes your breathing sound loud, and the clicks of your phone' keyboard echo off the walls of faraway buildings. I bet if I'd stepped on a cat's tail, or dropped a glass, then the whole place would have shattered into a billion tiny little pieces, and then a wormhole would have opened up, and all of the tiny little pieces would be drawn through into another dimension and reassembled into an exquisite Art Deco wall sconce.

Ahem, excuse me. Went off the rails for a second there.

Anyway, I grabbed a dock in Broad Creek at Doziers, and I've pretty much had the place to myself since. I'd called ahead and mentioned that I was having some plumbing issues, and they recommended a nautical handyman that could come down and help out.

I called, and was glad I did. He came down with a new fresh water pump, and had it installed in no time. I think the pressure switch had died. He also found a ball valve that I didn't know I had. It must have been closed during the winterization process, and isolated my starboard water tank, which explained the mystery list I'd developed. I'd only been drawing from the port side.

While he was down there, Magic Mike noticed a few things that needed attention. One of which was my raw water cooling intake hose. It was looking a little gnarly and cracked, and once he'd taken it off, it was obvious that it wasn't long for this world. He said he'd have to come back the next morning with a new hose, since he didn't have any on him. He'd also noticed the foul smell, and the not insignificant amount of 'water' in my bilge. The level had clearly risen since I'd last looked at it, and the color now made it obvious that my black water system was definitely leaking. He wasn't able to locate the leak either, but when he came back this morning with the new hose, he also brought a shop vac and a poor, unfortunate helper with him.

Thank god for that, because I'd spent much of yesterday after he'd left down in the bilge trying to get that crap water out of there. I've got two fairly monster bilge pumps, but they're mounted too high to get anything out of the keel. I tried to find a submersible pump in town, but nothing was small enough to fit down in there. I picked up a drill pump and some hose, but that was too small and too slow. I finally resorted to my manual bilge pump, which worked but the process of bucket brigading it out of the engine room proved extremely frustrating on my own, and also quite disgusting. I'd put a dent in it, but there was still a lot down there.

My heroes, bless their hearts, not only de-crapped my bilge, but even cleaned it. I tipped them handsomely. Now that the bilges are clean, and the tanks are empty, I'll need to try to find where the mess is coming from.

But that can wait. I've had enough effluent for now, and I could use a break. I've been in Deltaville for four days, and I'm ready to move on. It's a nice little stop, but there's not much to see here, especially this time of year.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate, and I'll be off for Norfolk tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
I bet if I'd stepped on a cat's tail, or dropped a glass, then the whole place would have shattered into a billion tiny little pieces, and then a wormhole would have opened up, and all of the tiny little pieces would be drawn through into another dimension and reassembled into an exquisite Art Deco wall sconce.

Great stuff, Dave! All of it. But that wormhole bit cracked me up...

Please, feel free to go off the rails whenever you want!

Dave, I once had a bilge full of effluent which was leaking through the damaged macerator pump once the holding tank level surpassed the 2/3 point. Just another place to check. I hope it's not the tank. Maybe you could pump out your tank and then fill with shore water to find the leak without having to deal with black water.

Wifey B: I love love love off the rails stuff. You do it so well, Dave. :D

I think you're figuring this out. Not cheap but sometimes it's just easier to get some help while you go to work making more money to pay for it. I think you're finding a balance and also balancing the pleasure with some land activity and boating pleasure.

I can't wait to read as you continue south but I know you'll find a way to keep enjoying yourself and your boat. :)

A real sh$tty tale!

If you have major problems with your black water system like a tank that needs replacing, I suggest looking at a composting toilet. I got rid of all my leaking black water system— plumbing, valves, toilet, etc and replaced them with a simple Nature’s Head toilet. It’s been odor free for two years, and there is basically nothing to break.

Last edited:
Great post. Lots of chuckles ?

A real sh$tty tale!

If you have major problems with your black water system like a tank that needs replacing, I suggest looking at a composting toilet. I got rid of all my leaking black water syste— plumbing, valves, toilet, etc and replaced them with a simple Nature’s Head toilet. It’s been odor free for two years, and there is basically nothing to break.

I'd be lying if I said this hadn't crossed my mind more than a few times lately. I've used a composting head a few times in non-marine environments, and was pleasantly surprised not only by the lack of bad smell, but the presence of a pleasant smell. The coconut scent is nice...

If it turns out that I need a headectomy, a composter would be a strong possibility.

I'd be lying if I said this hadn't crossed my mind more than a few times lately. I've used a composting head a few times in non-marine environments, and was pleasantly surprised not only by the lack of bad smell, but the presence of a pleasant smell. The coconut scent is nice...

If it turns out that I need a headectomy, a composter would be a strong possibility.

If considering that option, check out C-head.

Glad to see that you are having a better time now. If you do fill the holding tank with water to track down the leak, maybe put some food dye in the tank so it will be easier to see the leak, or just look for the poop...

Back
Top Bottom