rear view camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
I run my boat from the lower helm station when travelling the AICW. Visibility is less than perfect,I don't turn around to look every minute and I am frequently surprised by faster boats overtaking me. 8 knots me, 20+ knots them. Am considering putting in a rearview camera with a screen at the helm. I'm afraid that the backup cameras I see for cars won't show enough distance behind me.1/4 to 1/2 mile would be nice. Anyone have experience with these?
Thanks, Woodscrew

I had one rigged for awhile then stopped rigging it.

The amount of boats that actually overtake me (at 6.3 knots that's most including many sailboats) and cause issues just wasn't enough to worry about.

Almost all can be seen enough in time to be dealt with. It's their responsibility to safely pass and while many still throw a wake....as I said...usually easy enough to deal with.

When I did have a camera, it was a standard security type and wireless to my phone, pad and computer so I could use any and not switch off from any nav gear. I may put it back as it did help with docking/close quarters maneuvering.

I got a Swann wireless system with two cameras and a 1TB DVR. One on the radar arch and one in the ER. I use the one in the ER when on the FB and the one on the arch when in the PH. You can put it on split screen but the system's split screen is a quad so that make it small, so I usually have one camera up at a time.

Now and then I do lose the signal but the majority of the time it is fine. I do plan on replacing them with hard wired ones one of these days

We have one that is hard-wired to our second MFD. Very useful. Great replacement for a rearview mirror. A marina neighbor installed an automotive and truck backup camera and wired it to always be on. It's working great for him.

I have one hard wired to both mfd's. It is fine for close objects & backing into a slip but very difficult to pick up small fast boats coming up behind me on the AICW. I prefer to have radar on all the time as it is easier to see fast approaching vessels

I have one hard wired to both mfd's. It is fine for close objects & backing into a slip but very difficult to pick up small fast boats coming up behind me on the AICW. I prefer to have radar on all the time as it is easier to see fast approaching vessels
My thoughts exactly! I use mine for backing in & out of the slip and the occasional fishing trip but as mentioned above, the radar seems to be the best rear view.

Rear View

I have not added one yet but I am investigating.
Friend has two, one mounted on each side of the boat, good when backing
into slip.
I have been looking at two also with a split screen.
The one thing I have picked up is how fast the screen refreshes. Reviews say some models are slow, not good when backing which is my main concern.
Good Topic,
Bill

I have not added one yet but I am investigating.

Friend has two, one mounted on each side of the boat, good when backing

into slip.

I have been looking at two also with a split screen.

The one thing I have picked up is how fast the screen refreshes. Reviews say some models are slow, not good when backing which is my main concern.

Good Topic,

Bill

Rear view cameras

Also want to add rear view cameras. Recently traded up from a Cutwater 30 to a Symbol 45. Love the big Pilothouse but rear view is very limited.
Any recommendations of a high quality system (swim step, general rear view and engine room) would be much appreciated.

I hard wired an Iris reverse image camera mostly for backing into the slip. It also has good night vision. I get a very good rear view as it sets about 50 yards behind me but I could adjust it up to see further back. I use it split screen on the Garmin when underway to see the exhaust color.
I really want another for the engine room but it’s further down the list.
I like the Iris camera quality and would buy another. About $300 from Hodges.

Thanks for the replies. This camera is strictly for early warning of fast approaching bigger boats. Smaller outboard boats are not big wake makers.Docking happens from the fly bridge where I can see stem to stern. I run with the radar on all the time, but it is surprising how often even bigger boats either have no or minimal radar signature or are hidden around a bend behind me in the ICW and manage to sneak up at speed. About half will call and warn or offer to slow pass. Yet more stuff has landed on the sole from big fast wakes than any sea we've been in yet. I'll look at the reccommended cameras. Woodscrew

I'm with you on the need for rearward visibility. I've spent a lot of time driving big trucks and oversized loads where you need to be aware of surrounding vehicles. Not being aware of overtaking vessels makes me uncomfortable, regardless of the COLREGS.

I'm going to install a rear-view mirror first and then some type of camera. Please post your camera of choice and a brief review once installed.

My thoughts exactly! I use mine for backing in & out of the slip and the occasional fishing trip but as mentioned above, the radar seems to be the best rear view.
Following up on using the radar as a rear view camera......for those that have a smart tv in their salon, if your MFD has a HDMI output, you can run an HDMI cable from the MFD to the salon TV and be able to see traffic in the salon while taking break. (Coffee, head, etc.)

/Users/walterpoulson/Desktop/IMG_0840.MOV

Sorry! I don't know why the link doesn't work!

We have a different situation with excellent rear vision via a simple mirror, but with the prices of camera systems what they are, it’s hard to say no to cheap engine room and blind-spot monitoring. On the AICW between Miami and Jupiter, it’s not unusual to be passed by two boats at a time (especially on holidays and weekends), one on each side, making a sport out of who can get ahead of the other after the pass. Cops going full bore with big center consoles or CG with cabin-inflatables are not uncommon, and one would be well advised to know about their approach. My last time through Jupiter, two racing cigarettes were being pursued by cops in a triple outboard center console and a helicopter ON the ICW. Zero in the papers or local TV!

Good rear vision and keeping a steady, predictable line toward the starboard side of center is about all a slow moving trawler can do, and even then, be ready for the idiot who dares to pass you on starboard anyway.

Cameras for my ER, shaft area and swim platform area are on my list of to do’s this year, so I’ll be staying close on this thread.

I am thinking about an engine room camera, too. Rear view first, ER later. I've got a smoke alarm, wet exhaust high temp alarm, oil pressure and engine temp alarm in the ER now. Still like the idea of seeing what's going on in there. Will get a monitor that will handle two cams. I'll keep you posted.

My engine room camera has caught a few things like a loose alternator belt and a couple fuel leaks...one serious.

I have it so I can see the front of the engine and into the bight white gel coated drip pan under the whole engine.

My Lehman oozes oil so it's nice to see the amount over time to see if one is getting worse.

I see the want of the rear view camera.... not necessarily the need if you can occasionally look aft...no view from the helm, then sure it becomes more important.

Visibility aft from the helm chair is limited at best. Turning around in the chair gives a fairly narrow view aft out the port aft window. On auto pilot I can leave the helm, walk about eight feet to that same window and get a better, but not perfect view. Not easy to do frequently and only good for x amount of time depending on how fast the next approaching boat is. Also don't like having my attention away from forward for even the short time it takes to walk aft and scan.I think I will like having a monitor right in front of me on the dash where I am always looking at nav instruments etc. Forewarned is forearmed. I did consider a bus mirror or two but having one cam aft and one in the ER seems like a lot of bang for the buck. I just ordered a 7" monitor, high def 170 degree camera and 35' cable from Tadi Brothers. Lots of positive reviews. $300 w/shipping. I'll let you know how it works. Will add on the ER cam later.

One thing I need to look to see if I can change in my Swann system is the fact that the rear facing camera shows boats coming up my stern on starboard on the left of the screen as that is how the rear facing camera sees it. And vice versa. I will need to look to see if there is a way to change that.

It isn't a huge deal but it does mean you have to stop and think about it for a couple of seconds.

I have two pyle cameras. One on the engine room and the other off the stern. Both work well and give great definition. I can easily see someone coming up behind if I'm in the wheelhouse. The stern camera certainly helps when entering a channel or restricted space. Amazing how often small boats will think "I'll just nip behind him" They seem to think that I have the same maneuverability as a ski boat or center console.

This is a topic I have been exploring during the rebuild of Buena Ventura. From the fly bridge there is no view of the stern, so docking is blind when single handing her. Considering the price of the camera systems now, it will be worth creating a full camera system. ER, engines, sundeck, saloon, flybridge, bilges (fore, mid, aft), and galley and more. Different cameras for different uses, but the entire installation is for safety and security.

One story is the owners were warned someone was entering their boat while they were across country. They were able to call the local police and have the intruders taken care of. That is one of the big reasons for security cameras. Engine room issues are a different reason. Slip, docking, and leaving are uses for other cameras.

I have several cameras looking aft. I have a Lorax CCTV camera on my mast pointed aft that is wired to my MFD. One corner of my starboard MFD is the camera, always on. I love it as a rear-view. I have a second camera mounted under my pilothouse lip pointed aft for when the mast is down (going under bridges, etc) and redundancy. It is also wired to the MFD and I can switch from the menu. Then I have a car/truck rear view camera mounted where my stern light is mounted. I can dock with it but it is not my preferred method...I would rather be looking out the pilothouse windows than looking down at the MFD. I have other cameras hardwired to the port MFD from the engine room.

I recently installed a rear view camera, an Amcrest outdoor12 volt WiFi camera. It connects with the boat's WiFi router. Video displays on a Windows PC, iPhone and Ipad.

It mounts in the aft flagpole holder and gets it's power from the 12 volt aft running light a few inches from the flagpole holder. It turns on and off with the running lights. It's set up to be unplugged and removed when not needed.

It's an inexpensive camera. It's longevity is unknown since I just installed it, but so far it works well both for backing and seeing boats advancing from the rear.

The software that worked best for both configuring the camera and viewing the video is Microsoft Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 PC.

Last edited:
I simply clamped on a convex ski mirror on the Bimini pole. Works for me and priced right. ?

Here's an image from the camera as captured on an Android tablet.

Good luck on your solution

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-25-17-14-32-009.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-11-25-17-14-32-009.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 86
BTW, ran back from St Augustine yesterday and since it was chilly drove from the PH. One thing to remember is that you will need to clean the outside one(s) often!!!

Mine is on the radar arch so I will have to get the stepladder on board and do that!

Since we have mostly Garmin electronics we have four cameras. Three in the engine room and one facing aft mostly for docking, since I have a remote “docking master” I can walk to the aft section and steer the boat into any slip, makes life is easy.

One thing to remember is that you will need to clean the outside one(s) often!!!!
My bow camera is on the flybridge, front side of the helm & panel, shooting through the venturi. Nice & dry and clean! Adding the stern camera end of this week.

The view below is of the bow camera on the smart TV but it is also on the Raymarine eS128 on the bridge.

Attachments

• Bow camera.jpg
    Bow camera.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Woodscrew, I have a lot of miles in a Bristol 42 and can attest to the absolutely crummy rear view from the lower helm. In fact, the forward view from there is nothing to brag about either. Coming home to my GB 42 with its custom pilot bench at the lower helm was like emerging from a dungeon into daylight. So enjoy your cameras. I added a rear view and ER camera to my Garmin setup on that boat just because I could, but would have been far happier with a rear view camera which gave a true rear mirror view with its intuitive feel for which side to look when the faster boat gets to my boat. A zoo feature would have been awesome. My ER camera was equipped with a long cord so I could point it at any particular point in the ER for which I might have concerns. Here's what I did to provide a nice view across the aft cabin top.

Attachments

• Dinghy rack from stern.jpg
    Dinghy rack from stern.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 111
I dont have one on my own boat, but on the rescue vessels I drive we have cameras that show clearly whats happening on the rear deck and can monitor a vessel being towed easily. It interfaces with the MFD and is fantastic..

Best part is seeing what is happening on the rear deck , especially at night.

I would love one on my own boat (its more $$) and am sure I would use to watch what my guests are doing on the back deck when we are underway..

Back
Top Bottom