Perkins workshop manuals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcarthur

Vessel Name
Blu Emu
Vessel Make
Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
I've found this site - foley - that advertises Perkins workshop manuals for my motors (Perkins M135 1000 series YA). Note these aren't the installation manuals or users handbook (both of which I have). The price is high though at US$115. Has anyone used the site or bought from them before?

Thanks for the info and a good try, but that's not the "M135" (6cyl NA) which is further down the list. For my M135 there's only the installation manual on that site. I'm after the workshop manual...

Back when I owned a boat with a T6354, I bought a manual which turned out to be a good photocopy of a Manual, complete with the odd thumbprint. Your engine must be way younger, but it looks like Perkins Manuals are a tad rare, and priced accordingly.

Thanks Bruce, yes the Perkins are hens teeth I think, especially the M engines (M80, M135). The reference I gave was for a digital copy of the manual, and given scanning isn't expensive in the slightest with most photocopiers doing it nowadays, US$115 seems a tad excessive!

But I'll do it if needed, hence my request if anyone has dealt with them before...or if anyone has access to or knows where to get one!

Back when I owned a boat with a T6354, I bought a manual which turned out to be a good photocopy of a Manual, complete with the odd thumbprint. Your engine must be way younger, but it looks like Perkins Manuals are a tad rare, and priced accordingly.

My YA engines are 1006-6 (1000 series), one is 1994 and the other 1995 manufactured. The T series I presume was a fair bit earlier, but from the number of people on these forums with T series I suspect many more were sold than the 1000 series, at least in the US/Canada.

These manuals are all over the Web. They just happen to be listed as Phaser 1000 series. I put a copy for you in the Google Drive below. It is text searchable. Please download it within a few days, as I'll take it back down.

-- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5p3ufEP-wbcCmuHtBm4Ld-lGzadmUFl/view?usp=sharing

The only reason these manuals are rare is that they are copyrighted and Perkins sold them for a time, as most manufacturers do. Circulating them without license violates that copyright.

The same can be true, even if they stop selling them -- but I've never heard of an engine manufacturer complaining in that case and assume they actually like them available to see parts and support their engines in the field as they fall out of interest to the dealers. I think they sort of consider them donated at that point, even if they don't make official notice of that.

I hear a lot of complaints about a manufacturer who, as near as I can tell, has done a darn good job building motors than can last longer than people -- and supporting them long after even the people responsible for them are around.

I've got no complaints with Perkins or their dealers or the interested 3rd party sellers. I own/have owned 4 1970s era Perkins engines. I really don't agree with the Hen's Teeth type of comments.

Back
Top Bottom