Good video from MV Dirona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prospective

Vessel Name
EPIC
Vessel Make
43' Ocean Super Sport
I know lot's of folks here are familiar with these two. I've been following their blog for several years. They do a nice job here of describing the maintenance on their steering gear in the details fashion that those familiar with their blog will appreciate. There's even a shout-out to a prominent TF member on a possible replacement part.

I will say that the level of engineering know-how that these guys have is somewhat intimidating. I have no mechanical background. I'm a finance guy. Everything I've learned about things mechanical has been self-taught with the help of Youtube and forums like this. But I don't think I could approach their level technical skill in two lifetimes of Youtube.

Yes. It’s a great video. I’ve been following these two since before we got involved in boating—when we were just wannabes. James and Jennifer are the gold standard when it comes to this sort of thing. Everything is over built, with spares galore. And of course their combined professional background in computing systems is the envy of everyone. Perhaps less well known is that prior to his university training, and career at Microsoft and Amazon, James was a high end car mechanic, so he also understands the mechanical end of things at a level far exceeding most of us.

Jim

James and Jennifer also wrote a book, 'Cruising the Secret Coast', which covers many locations not usually visited by boats from Victoria to the Bella Bella BC area. Worth having, published by Waggoner.

What a well-done video!

At 7 minutes in, the imminent failure of their rudder system (while they were in the middle of the Atlantic in 20-ft seas) as evidenced by the pile of metal shavings dust beneath the rudder bearings...

HOLY CRAP!!!

Hubby and I are now both huge fans. We need more popcorn.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Agree, they are the gold standard. Methodical, professional, and they appear to have a great time doing it. I recall reading about his race car background awhile back.

My rod end was probably never as snug as his worn out unit. 250 ft. Lbs. of torque would take a bit of leverage but at least he has the space for it.

My rod end was probably never as snug as his worn out unit. 250 ft. Lbs. of torque would take a bit of leverage but at least he has the space for it.
:rofl::lol::smitten::dance::hide::peace:

Ive been following them for a while too. Check out their old video of their canal cruising and locking in Europe. Its absolutely amazing that these tiny, narrow ass inland canals are deep enough to accommodate a huge boat. Breathtaking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom