Thread: Man Over Board
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
man over board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
overboard. In the PNW the water temp is such that speed in recovery is important. Time is of the essence for recovery.

I chuckle at the requirement to have a boarding ladder as I wonder if I or others would be able to climb out after 5 minutes without a drysuit.
A sling (purchased or quickly made) is good if you can get the victim to put it on and remain with arms down to keep it from being pulled off while hoisting. You also must have a means to hoist such as needed to hoist a dingy.
Some of these ideas must have originated in warmer waters.

We were taught to use the dinghy to first get victim out of water and then from there to main boat, you have more time. Inflatables work better at not tipping over. If your dink is on davits, leave it there if you have to pull someone in.

This only works if I am not the one in the water.

A quick sling can be made with a long rope. Take the end and at arms length or slightly more double it. Then take loop end around your back and make a bowline with the loop end. Can be used just under arms or one part can be slipped down behind knees.

I had posted before my concern on being able to address a 'Man over Board' issue.
I agree, the access ladder has to be a position to deploy at all times. On our boat it is situated to fall overboard into position on the Stb.side of the swim step. It is a swing ladder model. Above it directly, is a circle boldt that is large enough to receive my four part block and tackle(I think that is what it is!) that is used to lift our 10' hard bottom inflatatble into its travel stance on the Weaver system attached to the step. On the extra line area hanging at shoulder height, is a prepared loop line for the purpose of placing under the arms and securing to the tack hook
Above on its own overhead bolt above the dropped down ladder and ajacent to the block and tackle deployment, is a knoted hand line that is coiled and bunged.
The drill would be to move the overboard participant to the dropped step ladder, . uncoil the knotted hand line to hold, to as i reposition the block and tackle.then place the loop line around the OB subject. Will i be able to haul a 200# soul out of the water?
I am not sure as the occasion or testing event has not happened, given a reason to be in the water, like a warm day or the foulded wheel issue, then I will or next summer purposely plan on doing so.
So for now, this is an academic response to the subject.
I do believe that keeping a person in less peril will be the result.
A bit long in explanation for that i apologies,

In addition to this subject the need for harbors to provide exit ladders placed in strategic locations within the mooring fingers should be a paramount necessity. a subject that I have mentioned to members of our local public harbor board. cost seems to be the issue where as the thought of a good liability lawyer making a small fortune with a large cost to the city seems to skip the thinking process.
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote