Paper charts survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd sure feel better having paper to rely on.

Tried to leave a comment but didn't appear to work. Clicked on submit, nothing happened. Good grief.

Sometimes browser ad ons (like ad blocking,anti-tracking, etc.) will interfere with some messaging, polling programs.

I'd sure feel better having paper to rely on.

Because of Russia's demonstrated ability to disrupt the GPS system, reliable current, paper charts are almost a necessity.

I understand the US Navy is teaching how to use a sextant again.

I like both electronic and paper!

Raymarine's eS127 & 128 came with several different types of charts. Navionics, C-map & Lighthouse. Lighthouse charts are raster scanned directly off the NOA paper charts and have a lot more detail than most electronic charts. I'll admit, however, to using Navionics the most as the "Auto Routing" feature is fantastic!

Updates can be loaded directly from the Internet to the MFD and are free!

Chart selection (C-map is also included when scrolled down.)

Attachments

• Chart selection.jpg
    Chart selection.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 25
  • raster Scanned.jpg
    raster Scanned.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Computerized charts have NO connection to GPS...they are often just a "scan" of a paper chart loaded into a reading device (phone, tablet, computer) or a collection of data points and read on a screen, instead of being printed on paper.

Only the nav portion of a chartplotter is affected by GPS loss...NOT chart reading or piloting actions.

Yes many will be lost when and if GPS is disrupted...but IT HAS NO BEARING ON whether you use paper or electronic charts.

Because of Russia's demonstrated ability to disrupt the GPS system,

Oh so that's whose fault this was....

3SoUhGFwveVbYLJGu-M4pbFgUHtXRahN_ZTereUcgiTPoRFVbpdbv1OO9ICziiKSntwWA9Q3YCB5HFqWU3F3UHloPsM5OhZkzlSm7hcNTL3VrUPTFsNW80iERS1GOXjWrR-yFxdW6EGvkqnJZ5G40sZ7A2RNhbMmZLXptpKFflfCvGeuod6bH82oqjJfmIl8x-0hVm_u0VIPlbAUEp_nr-xtDKhi-4wrcb0uwLqXfl5Cj7yDZ-T7Rx4PU1WPeUj2Nzngo8w1Ysjt1uL8Qnw1k5OrRbPLdWkKtjF1L55475e0SORx9VbcSXRF_gzKEgRhkfhMNBPhtBwRzAsGKMK8-br4lUL4johqeCCN1jtB_pPFzmML8Y8JwQNzR_EsyaS23LlPlKAuSUdUUX3Ack1Rpw82EMyzZZ93wYOXO1k0BwU02MmpjVWT7Bj0FX4R3JsJrU7hZ2TPuysMCaQUJAhcB66oot5fdrUxVrVV_HNqwBDaq1H-2_JpeE3zIAnGw8jPUZf1VQzwdcfFeXw8-Ru1WaZ93OSCgWCLfOX_HejPiMutxpEzRsqNzIeE-1wkxckaimo7wqsUQ872DP9sxdln0R4fYTqi3YLgUpIT4_Qlauxy2LAPBJkhy6ulXBzpEw6k8VHICvWsIX-ST0ZJz0A1uHc0fXEg3CqUkzc0Py1AaI038Gl15rSjBw=w1149-h861-no

Back on topic, while I bemoan the move from paper by NOAA, their new Custom Chart function looks very cool, and will allow private paper chart publishers and end users to do create some very location specific things.

Last edited:
Computerized charts have NO connection to GPS...they are often just a "scan" of a paper chart loaded into a reading device (phone, tablet, computer) or a collection of data points and read on a screen, instead of being printed on paper.

Only the nav portion of a chartplotter is affected by GPS loss...NOT chart reading or piloting actions.

Yes many will be lost when and if GPS is disrupted...but IT HAS NO BEARING ON whether you use paper or electronic charts.
Eggsalad point there.

Eggsalad point?

OK...think I get it. :)

Last edited:
I keep a set of Maptech waterproof charts on board. I take a peek at then occasionally to get the big picture during trip planning. Have never needed them for navigation. If some country brings down our gps, we won't be worrying about current charts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom