Cummins 2.8T diesel crate engine $7,700

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsholz

Vessel Make
Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Just came across a Cummins ad for a complete 2.8l turbo crate engine for $7,700. It is for a truck, of course. Wonder what it would take to marinize: heat exchanger, sea water pump and exhaust mixer or even less for keel cooled with dry exhaust.

https://shopcummins.com/products/cummins-r28-turbo-diesel?variant=28164531421284

From the site above:
The R2.8 Turbo Diesel is the first factory-built diesel crate engine on the market. Cummins Repower uses proven parent engine families and tailors them specifically for the light duty enthusiast aftermarket. The 2.8 liter 4-cylinder engine is currently used in small pickups, chassis cabs, SUV’s, Vans, commercial vehicles and industrial equipment around the world in some of the harshest environments. The proven platform is a lightweight, electronically controlled, high pressure common rail compact package ideal for most small pickup and SUV applications for qualifying vintages.

Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel Specifications:
Horsepower: 161 hp (120 kW) Torque: 310 lb-ft (420 Nm) Displacement: 171 ci (2800 cc) Cylinders: 4 Compression: 16.9:1 Bore: 3.70 in (94 mm) Stroke: 3.94 in (100 mm) Dimensions: 28.3"h x 25"w x 25.1"d Aspiration: Turbocharged & Aftercooled Fuel System: Bosch Electronic Weight: 503 lb (228 kg)
The R2.8 Turbo Diesel crate engine package is the most complete factory-built option on the market today. The engine comes fully dressed (with mega bracket capable of accepting optional AC Compressor) and the wiring harness for both the engine bay and interior side are as plug as play as they come.

Last edited:
Since Cummins broke up with Mercury I don't think they make any marine engine less than 4 liters, the QSB 4.5. So unless someone else is marinizing the 2.8 block I don't think you will find exhaust manifolds, etc for that engine.

David

I've looked at that engine. They are popular with Jeep and Land Rover guys. It is a fully electronic engine. It is also compact with a high rpm range. I've heard as high as 4800 rpm like the VW TDI line up. I don't know for sure. There are no marinizing parts for it, yet. They would all have to be custom fabricated. Doable, yes. Affordable, I don't think it would be. It would also require a water cooled turbo, $$$$. Good used Cummins Marine 3.9 4B engine run about $7000 sometimes with gear. The rebuilt engines go for around $4500-5000. I have seen them as low as $3500. When it's time to motor up for my build, I will be looking at the 3.9L in the 150hp version and the 5.9L in the 180hp version. Recommended HP for my boat is 80-150hp.

Land engines usually have reduced hp compared to marine engines. In an electronic engines that's done in the computer. A heat exchanger, oil cooler and raw water pump can come from another engine of about the same hp. The hardest item to make is the water cooled exhaust manifold. Someone that already makes replacement manifolds would probably be cheapest.

Attachments

• marine exhaust.jpg
    marine exhaust.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 56
Greetings,
Mr. gs. I understand that the torque curves between land and marine engines are different. Land engines develop or use greatest torque at low RPM whereas marine engines use greatest torque at higher RPM so the cam shafts are designed to produce torque at different RPM.

It would also require a water cooled turbo, $$$$.

Not a necessity. My old Perkins had a dry turbocharger.
Plus turbo swaps are pretty easy to do if you wanted to adapt a coolant cooled turbocharger.

For the John Deere folks JD has "sales" once or twice a year at the farm guys shop.

The huge delight is they sell with no core charge during the sale.

A custom fitted insulation blanket is way cheaper than a wet exhaust manifold.

The rest is off the shelf in various quality grades, or used.

Greetings,
Mr. gs. I understand that the torque curves between land and marine engines are different. Land engines develop or use greatest torque at low RPM whereas marine engines use greatest torque at higher RPM so the cam shafts are designed to produce torque at different RPM.

This is true with gassers. While researching which diesel I wanted to install, I found that most diesel marinizations are industrial engines converted to marine use. In the case of the Cummins 3.9 4BTA, it was upped from 140hp to 150hp and given a bump in rpm from 2500 to 2800. These engines are primarily used in step van applications. Most Beta Marine engines are Kubota tractor engines unmodified except for the marinizing parts. The smaller under 30hp engines are usually genny engines or skid steer engines.

Back
Top Bottom