Arrrgh! Not More Window Stuff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvd

Vessel Name
BOOSTER
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know it's a popular subject, but I have searched the archives and can't really find what I'm looking for. My '87 Taiwanese trawler has what I think are typical windows for the vintage, but due to some cracked glass and some safety glass delamination, they need replacing. I have had minimal leakage, so the interior window trim is in pretty nice condition and could be revived with a good sanding and some varnish. However -- if I replace with aluminum-framed windows, do I need to get rid of the interior trim as well? There are no plugs visible in the interior trim, so have they been attached from the outside (i.e. exterior trim screwed through the bulkhead into the interior trim)? If I remove the exterior trim and the glass (fixed window), is the bulkhead an appropriate thickness for the extruded aluminum window frame to sit in there, up against the interior trim?

If someone has done this already, and is sado-masochistic enough to have taken pictures, could you please share?

Thanks,
dvd

Attachments

• IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 107
On my M/T the inside trim is in fact secured with screws through the bulkhead. After removing the exterior window trim and a little searching you will find the screws. With that said I don't see why you would need to remove the inside trim.

I did it.

Attachments

• SDC10208.jpg
    SDC10208.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 100
Anode -

Did you remove the interior trim?

Thanks,
dvd

DVD - I did leave the interior trim in place. The windows were designed to slip inside the trim.
You'll have to find someone that welds square corners on their windows and not the typical bent radius windows found on the internet. You will have make a template for each window as none will be the same. I did all 14 on Scout. Depending on the width of your existing exterior teak window frame trim, the new frames may not cover the where the old windows frames were glued (and screwed) to the outside. It was not an issue for me as we painted the exterior. I also used epoxy/frp to sealed the perimeter of the window opening once I had the old windows out.
It was a labor intensive project and my boat was in a portable building covered from the elements when I did the work.
I will try and dig out some pictures and email them to you along with the name of the company that built the windows.
Chip

window replacement

I used wynne enterprises from tuscombia Al. They are not diamond seaglaze but i'm not cruising the Atlantic either.

Anode - Thanks, that's very helpful. I think I remember reading your renovation blog some time ago - pretty extensive job & nicely done. They look like the Waterway windows from Florida. If so, he suggests removing the mounting screws after the bedding has set-up to prevent stainless-aluminum contact & possible galvanic corrosion. Think that's an issue?

Landsend - Thanks - I've been in contact with them (incredibly service-oriented) and have samples of their product.

Now I just have to decide when to bite the bullet and take on one more project. Luckily I'm in a covered slip, so weather is less of a factor.

Thanks,
dvd

Yep, they're windows from Waterway Systems. Chuck does suggest removing the screws after installation and sealing the holes. I may still do that but I'm in a fresh water location now. I did place a thin nylon washer under the screw head. So far so good.

Interior pics.

Attachments

• SDC10510.jpg
    SDC10510.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 117
  • SDC10512.jpg
    SDC10512.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 105
Nice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom