Changing oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
What the easiest, cleanest method for pumping old oil our

Motor-operated vaccuum pump. Suck out any fluid, oil, ATF, water from inconvenient places. My brother gave me one he acquired as surplus many years ago. Jusst stick the tubing down into the bottom of any sump, turn on the motor and sit back until the collection beaker fills. Good for bleeding brakes also.

Btlabsystems.com/Vacuum_Pumps
What the easiest, cleanest method for pumping old oil our

Reverso pump, permanently installed. Makes oil changes a pleasure. I have one for my main engines with a manifold, and another for my genset. They work great.

Good advice already. To contain the used oil, I purchased a blue 5 gallon fuel container. I empty it into the local oil recycling center tank. If you don't have access to one of those, you can use empty oil jugs and many oil sellers will accept the used returns.

Ken

+1 for Reverso

It's a little bulky but it works so great it is worth it's bulk, after all I have something like 5 gallons of oil and fuel between my main and the Genny.

I have a small vacuum pump which has about a half gallon collection container, certainly not enough. So the small collection container is connected to a 3 gallon"vac-u-tainer". I have a hose permanently connected to the drains on the engine and genny. I just let the pump (it's small) generate vacuum and open the valves and "Viola" done. Absolutely nothing special about the set up.., but...

I also have drain hoses on the Ravcors and secondarys and drain them the same way. I can generally change oil and filters and literally not spill a single drop !

pete

Reverso pump, permanently installed. Makes oil changes a pleasure. I have one for my main engines with a manifold, and another for my genset. They work great.
Yes, especially their gear pumps - much better than the impeller ones.

Good advice already. To contain the used oil, I purchased a blue 5 gallon fuel container. I empty it into the local oil recycling center tank. If you don't have access to one of those, you can use empty oil jugs and many oil sellers will accept the used returns.

Ken

I buy my new Rotella at Walmart and return the used stuff there. They make it very easy. My local recycling center only takes 2 gallons per person per day, that's not at all convenient for a pair of 3208s...

Ditto on the Reverso gear pump and Larry’s permanently attached oil pan hose. Our oil pan hoses, with shut off valves at the oil pans, lead to hydraulic fittings, one of which can be seen at the very bottom, center, of the photo. The hose to the Reverso can be plugged into either engine’s oil drain line via these fittings.

The discharged oil goes into a five-gallon pail and two one-gallon jugs and gets recycled. I use a gallon-sized zip-lock bag around each oil filter to catch the inevitable gush when they’re loosened. Finally, I keep a big supply of engine diapers nearby. Stuff happens.

Attachments

• FB331C5C-E74D-49AA-AE0A-4E6678AF1ACD.jpeg
    FB331C5C-E74D-49AA-AE0A-4E6678AF1ACD.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 155
I have a Jabsco pump that originally came mounted on a 3 gallon bucket. I have hoses from the oil drains on the engines. I took the oil pump off the 3 gallon bucket because my engines hold 4.5 gallons of oil. I hook the pump to the hose on the engine and in about 2 minutes the oil is pumped out of the engine into a 5 gallon jerry can. The used oil goes to a local marine repair shop that burns the oil for heat during the winter.

I have an x-change-r system, but I'm replacing with a Reverso. The Reverso uses a gear pump rather than an impellor. Most of the diptstick tube style are impellor as well.

I use a Jazz jug for oil collection. I just stick the hose in the jug adn turn on the pump. The jazz jug is significantly sturdier than a regular jerry can.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Sq...s=jazz+jug&qid=1573751335&s=automotive&sr=1-2

I built a valved manifold for my reverso pump so that engine, transmission, and even fuel stripping are handled by the pump.
It works really well, and makes refilling a snap too, no more pouring oil oil all over the motor!

Agreed on the Reverso! Makes removal very clean and easy. However, I don't use the Reverso to put new oil in, as there will be a residue of old oil in the hoses and I want "clean oil" going in. Probably "overkill' but that's how I do it. Using a large funnel and pouring slowly I don't spill much (if any) when filling. I also use the large zip lock bag for removing the oil filter. Usually don't spill at all.

On upside-down oil filters, I punch a hole in the filter with a flat head screwdriver and twist to open a decent sized hole. I then crack the oil fill cap and wait, then drain the oil.
Once the oil is drained, I wrap the filter in a zip lock and use an oil absorbing pad, but I rarely need the precaution.

I forgot to punch a hole this year and dumped what looked like half a quart in the bilge. Q@$@#%#$%$

I have a small vacuum pump which has about a half gallon collection container, certainly not enough. So the small collection container is connected to a 3 gallon"vac-u-tainer".
pete

Pete, that sounds interesting and what I'd like to do; but I can't find vac-u-tainer. All I get is medical supplies. Do you have a photo or a specific name I can google?

Take a look at the Marco system. It has a helical bronze gear. European made. Check out their site. Just installed one and it’s great. Make sure you make all connections using swivel fasteners.

And even better if it is plumbed to tanks that hold the fresh and used oil. When I spec'd my boat, I got talked out of those tanks. I really wish I had them.

Hand cranked rotary pump engine mounted
Valve to select between 40 litres of gearbox oil or 40 litres of engine oil, takes about 5 minutes to pump out.
Oil pumped into the saved 20 litre drums from previous change for easy removal and disposal.

No wiring and electrics needed and no storage tanks to pump out later

I'll get some photos today and post later. I have never posted photos so it will be a challenge

peyte

Lots of good advice and information. Thank you all for contributing.
Bones

My plan is to add a banjo bolt or valve on the oil pan and run a hose to a convenient place on the engine and use a pump to suck the oil out in to 5 gallons buckets.

I have a hose attached to the drain plug of the Lehman and generator with a threaded connection on the end capped when not removing oil.

I use a vacuum pump mounted to a propane tank to suck the oil out. The pump creates vacuum in the tank and when I attach the tanks hose to the drain lines on engine or generator, it sucks the sump dry.

The propane tank holds 5 gallons and when full, reverse the pump connection, pressurize the tank and the oil gets pushed into a container for disposal.

Suction is a lot less messy since any leaks gets sucked in instead of out.

Attachments

• DSCN8790.jpg
    DSCN8790.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN8791.jpg
    DSCN8791.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN8792.jpg
    DSCN8792.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I plumbed all my oil pans (2 mains, 2 generators) to a small gear pump and then to a holding tank. The holding tank has a deck fill and a commercial fuel dock would pump out the tank. Now I centrifuge my oil and the holding tank feeds the centrifuge.

I was looking for a small hand crank gear pump, what did you find?

Lots of ingenuity!

We repurposed a Marco gear oil pump to be our oil change pump. It is a home built version of the Reverso system. From the pump location I can empty my main engine oil into 5 gal buckets sitting on my salon floor - the pump suction lines are connected to the respective engine oil pan drains. I then carry those buckets off the boat and empty them into the oil recycling tank at my marina.

This pic was before we plumbed in the genset oil for pumping out, only the two mains were attached at first...(we've also dressed the bare exposed wood on that backer board!)

Resized_20190717_144819.jpg

Reverso to pump both engines and transmissions into the old oil containers we filled with, then pump the new oil into. Easy, fast and no mess. Just hit the switch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom