Help Me ID These

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would that not be Open/Closed.

If it helps they were in the drawer in the master head. I will be on the boat later today so will look to see what the valve looks like for the direct overboard.

I agree that deck plate keys make absolutely no sense. I've never seen Open/Close on a Deck plate and this clearly reads ON/OFF, which makes no sense for a deck plate.

On/Off would infer something with 'flow' like gas, electricity, water. As a shut-off valve, I see an inherent safety risk with any shut off that you need to dig around in drawers for. If you think about every fuel, seacock, or water shutoff and the lever is clearly well attached to the valve.

Do you have a holding tank through hull discharge? Some places require that it be locked. There are expensive electronic valves with keys. Some zip tie the seacock shut. Some remove the handle. Is this a 'portable' discharge seacock handle?

I don't believe this was cut and ground. Otherwise, that would be a machinist with skill, because that edge is PERFECT.

They are a training aid for newbies on how to turn valves on or off. Can't you see the wrist action forming a muscle memory.

Might not be for the boat.

Greetings,
I'm going with deck fill keys...

6002s_1000x1000_02_1.jpg
I had originally reached the very same conclusion but the graphics on the handle don't support the correct direction for opening & closing. :blush:

Greetings,
Mr. C. Ooops. Missed that. Thanks. Maybe they came from Australia where the Coriolis effect..oh, um...Never mind.

200.webp

I did a Bing reverse image search on the graphic and didn’t get anything, but it looks like a road and a couple of trees. I don’t think it’s boat-related.

Well I took them back down to the boat and looked around but couldn't come up with anything.

So I put them back in the master head drawer! :)

Well I took them back down to the boat and looked around but couldn't come up with anything.

So I put them back in the master head drawer! :)
Oh now that makes sense when you mention the head.
If you have a macerating head and remove the plastic motor cover you should see a slot in the motor shaft. If it ever jams / clogs one can usually free it up with a right angle screw driver... which I'll bet the PO made up for that task. See if it doesn't fit the slot pretty well.
I'm also guessing these were made up from an unused ball valve handle and the reason for the markings.
I also searched the logo image but didn't find anything close.
Is there a prize for the correct answer?

Oh now that makes sense when you mention the head.
If you have a macerating head and remove the plastic motor cover you should see a slot in the motor shaft. If it ever jams / clogs one can usually free it up with a right angle screw driver... which I'll bet the PO made up for that task. See if it doesn't fit the slot pretty well.
I'm also guessing these were made up from an unused ball valve handle and the reason for the markings.
I also searched the logo image but didn't find anything close.
Is there a prize for the correct answer?

I have Vacuflushes.

Greetings,
I'm going with deck fill keys...

6002s_1000x1000_02_1.jpg

Might not be for the boat.

Ok, here's my guess. If you have any deck fills with the slot between the 2 holes, they might be home made keys. As we get older, many of us loose strength in our wrists and fingers. I could see a previous owner having trouble with the fill caps and had someone take to valve handles and modify them so that he could use the leverage to loosen a tight fill cap. As I get older and weaker, I find myself utilizing leverage to tighten or loosen things that my former vise grip hands use to be able to muscle off.

Ted

I agree with OC Diver"s post #41, they were ball valve handles that were cut and bent, if you look at the bottom one in the OP picture you will see a penciled line marking where to bend. Probably, or surely would work well to loosen deck fill caps when placed in the slot and turned.

OK, I will go on board tomorrow and take a video of the handles with the deck caps. My suspicion is that they are way too thick to do that job, but we will see.

Took these off the boat a few years ago when clearing out the drawers etc.

Now cleaning out the spaces in the house and came across them again.

They are like valve on/off levers but clearly not since they are angled and no holes for the stem and bolts that go with fuel or other valves.

I have never needed them in the last four seasons but don't want to toss them - just in case.

Any ideas?
Those are SS seacock ball valve handles that have been cut off. Make sure all of your seacocks have their handles. It would be scare to find a leak and can't shut off the seacock.

milwaukee-ball-valves-118-2-34-hd-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Those are SS seacock ball valve handles that have been cut off. Make sure all of your seacocks have their handles. It would be scare to find a leak and can't shut off the seacock.

milwaukee-ball-valves-118-2-34-hd-64_1000.jpg

A lot of responses allude to that...pretty bold to say it without a doubt. :socool:

Greetings,
Mr. ps. I think it's quite a safe assumption to state that they WERE ball valve handles but the question still remains as to what use have they been altered and repurposed?
I very much doubt Mr. m has any ball valves on board that are missing their handles as Mr. b2 suggests. Although quite commonly used as sea cocks, ball balves are NOT meant to be used as such (no mounting flange).

The minute I assume anything, the world, especially TF proves me wrong.

I was an early candidate for suggesting repurposed ball valve handles (whether the boat has ball valves for seacocks or not...even though aftermarket installs even on expensive boats often do)...but to say without a doubt that's what they are is out of even my large ego league... :)

Last edited:
A lot of responses allude to that...pretty bold to say it without a doubt. :socool:
Seen a lot of them cut off on fresh water boats and used to open fill caps. I dunno why but some people feel safe having fresh water boats and valves with no shut off handle or even no valves at all. I used to see it quite frequently on trailer boats.

These are not cut off.

These are removable handles to prevent unauthorized operation, probably for the macerator or cooling system.

Sometimes they are padlockable, but that prevents emergency operation. Removing the handle requires enough thought to keep it from being operated.

The handle tang fits in a matching sleeve on the ball valve.

Seen a lot of them cut off on fresh water boats and used to open fill caps. I dunno why but some people feel safe having fresh water boats and valves with no shut off handle or even no valves at all. I used to see it quite frequently on trailer boats.

I have seen a lot too...just not enough to say something as iffy as this is definite...

That's why my mantra on TF is "it depends".

So many times people with EXTREMELY limited experience post (probably accidentally) that something is fact...well yes in a limited sense.

So many things in boating are not always in one's expertise or experience bag so it's always best to mention that rather than make it sound as if were an absolute.

Rarely an expert on here gets to stand their ground...even then there are exceptions to the rule.

I have seen a lot too...just not enough to say something as iffy as this is definite...

That's why my mantra on TF is "it depends".

So many times people with EXTREMELY limited experience post (probably accidentally) that something is fact...well yes in a limited sense.

So many things in boating are not always in one's expertise or experience bag so it's always best to mention that rather than make it sound as if were an absolute.

Rarely an expert on here gets to stand their ground...even then there are exceptions to the rule.
:thumb:

So, obviously they were once valve handles. But, I think we know that. And, they were cut off and finished nicely with intention, and I think we know that.

My best guess as to what they might be good for? Paint/varnish can opener?
My second best guess? Right angle screw driver to turn a pup motor in a tight place, e.g. head, macerator, garbage disposal, etc?
My third best guess, if I get three? Deck fill key? (But, they don't seem super well suited for that).

Cheers!
-Greg

Don’t think their for any fuel cap or deck opening... threads normally are “righty tighty - lefty loosy” On and off are marked backwards for that.

Don’t think they are cut off ball valve handles... an open valve handle would be inline with the valve, not at a 90 as marked.

They came with something not too important as of yet it seems. Throw them back in the drawer for another year and see what comes up.

Patent and Trademark office shows 540,160 active trademarks registered by using the term “two triangles” so, not much help. Good thing they are in the off position, or there might be more of a hurry to identify

Unknown part ID

It is a Widget
One right-handed and one left-handed
May be in a discontinued color

Mine are in Volvo green and cost 4x as much

My boat has 2 of them and no other tool to open the water filler. I just presumed that’s what they were for until I saw this thread.

Don’t think they are cut off ball valve handles... an open valve handle would be inline with the valve, not at a 90 as marked.

I don't follow the logic here - there is no position indicated relative to the line of flow only a direction to turn... Clockwise to turn OFF and CCW to turn ON. Its all about where the cast "stops" are on the valve body and where the projection of the handle is that contacts the "stops"
Which is exactly what is on most ball valve handles that indicate On / OFF or Open / Close

Attachments

• Ball Valve handle1.jpeg
    Ball Valve handle1.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 41
Most of the ball valves in my engineroom don’t have any instructions on them... the one that I did look at was marked the other way. Must depend on the casting of your valve. My mistake.

Personally I would just give those to the deckhands to open paint cans with so they quit stealing my screwdrivers.

Back
Top Bottom