View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #44
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My boat is 25 years old. Nothing was done to the hull or decks in those those first 25 years. I'm fixing them right at this point and nothing will have to be done for the next 25 years (or more). Show me a wooden boat that you would take to sea with only one major work period on the hull in fifty years and I'll buy you a drink.

I think wood is a great material...but it needs work...neglected or not...and yes I worked a lot of my youth up to college age working on a few wooden boats.

Then I spent nearly 35 years rescuing and salvaging people who have sunk in wooden boats...so I'm not clueless about what they are and aren't.

If wood was even a close contender as a boatbuilding material...there would be more than a handful built every year...price isn't the issue...because many more people with money would pay for it if it was in contention.

I can't say for sure, but I would be amazed if the percentage of traditional wooden boats built is more than 1 percent. There's more than one good reason that is so.

I think a wooden boat can be managed maintenance wise...but to compare the total amount of required maintenance to fiberglass is rediculous...well maybe not if you are one of those that waxes their boat 4 time a year and cares about wearing real boat shoes...so yes a "yachtie FRP boat" may come closer...BUT....most boaters don't spend anywhere near that kind of time so a woodie would clearly start to suffer from lack of maintenance all effort equal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote