Winter projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Finally got decent weather to go and get the boat covered. Bit windy so it was a challenging solo project but managed to get everything buttoned up tight. Now to the winter projects. One of them is enclosing the rear are so it is bug proof, including a fixed sun awning. Has anyone done this on a 34 pilot?

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 107
It is especially challenging when the boat is upside down...

Easier to put the cover on that way. Not sure why the pic did that

I have read the reason, but I am not that computer literate enough to understand what it meant. When my photos do that I just shrug...

i thought it was because that boat is in the southern hemisphere

Doing it this way I avoided using a laddeR. Spun it back around after the pic. Need to tie down the stern otherwise I get a pinwheel effect in heavy wind.

View attachment 96286We had a screen panel made that replaces the center section of the rear eisenglass to provide some ventilation while excluding insects. For an awning we mounted a piece of bolt rope track across the underside of the top and use a sunbrella shade that slides in the track and is supported at the aft outboard corners with poles made from oak closet rods. The awning goes up in less than 5 minutes and will withstand a pretty good wind. Attached photo is not great, but gives you an idea.

Attachments

• 20191110_204630.jpg
    20191110_204630.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 64
Finally got decent weather to go and get the boat covered. Bit windy so it was a challenging solo project but managed to get everything buttoned up tight. Now to the winter projects. One of them is enclosing the rear are so it is bug proof, including a fixed sun awning. Has anyone done this on a 34 pilot?

Do you do your own canvas?

We have sun awning that works great, what we (admiral) want to do is is enclose the rear section w screening. My hope is to use the existing snaps for the winter cover to attach the screening.

Of course the sun awning needs attention as I dropped one of the support poles in the drink while removing it. Great duh moment

Everything floats. It either floats on top of the water or it floats on the bottom of the water. The key is which...

We have a relative that does canvas and are working with them but hope to give them the vision to work from. Also looking for other canvas folks in the area.

Comodave, as a pilot once said. The plane always lands.

You said you wanted a fixed sun awning, we had a hardtop made for the cockpit of a previous boat that we owned. Atlantic Towers in NJ made it for us. It was very nice but a bit pricey. It was fiberglass on top and aluminum frame. It would be very easy to make screening to enclose the sides. They will put the keder strips around the sides and you can slide the screening into the keder strips.

I want to avoid extending the hardtop due to weight and it would prevent me from using the winter cover.

Everything floats. It either floats on top of the water or it floats on the bottom of the water. The key is which...

Just take a picture of where it went in and post it upside down. Pole will sink to the surface and you can grab it....

Your welcome !! :dance:

One thing for sure. The winter projects are NEVER completed!!!

Our new winter project will be updating and moving into our new house while getting the other one ready for sale. If timing works out we will be in the new digs and have sold the other just in time for spring commissioning. New digs are .2 miles from my prime saltwater FlyFishing spot and 10min to the marina. :thumb:

Our new winter project will be updating and moving into our new house while getting the other one ready for sale. If timing works out we will be in the new digs and have sold the other just in time for spring commissioning. New digs are .2 miles from my prime saltwater FlyFishing spot and 10min to the marina. :thumb:

and how far to the nearest heart hospital?

the Irish pub is a 15min walk.

Getting to the last item on the winter project list is like putting on the last coat of varnish... Ha..Ha!! You'll NEVER get there!

Never have more true words been spoken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom