Hydraulic steering conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

36GB

Hello fellow trawlers.

I’m about to convert my 1975 GB 36 to hydraulic steering. I’m in doubt which cylinder to get. The one I think will do the job is 168 ccm with a maximum rudder pressure of 87 kg. I will link It to a 28 ccm/rev rudderpump which will give 6 revs of the rudder for max port to max starboard.
Do any of you have experience with such a conversion, and what do you think of the setup I’m considering??
Have a nice day.

Lasse

I converted cable to hydraulic steering on a Willard 30 (with second station at flybridge) I owned over 20-yesrs ago. Reason for swap was to get a better autopilot, and the steering had a lot of play in it. I installed Hynautic helm pumps and used their closed-system pressure tank. I reused the bronze tiller arm on the rudder shaft. Making up the hydraulic hoses took a while using a Hynautic brand of plastic/synthetic hose with compression fittings designed to be field installed which were a PITA to do with wrenched. Copper tubing might be fine as its less flexible and a whole lot less expensive.

Steering ratio ended up with about 6 turns lock/lock (had been 3) which felt excessive but didn't take long to acclimate. If I remember correctly, I had about 25-30 hrs of labor into the install, but included A/P too.

Curious to know what problem you are trying to solve?

Curious to know what problem you are trying to solve?

Yes that’s the big question.

If your cable steering is tight then leave it be. If loose then tighten it. Change the cables if needed.
I think mechanical steering is superior in many ways to hydraulic. Personally I loved mine - three turns was fantastic.
Autopilot? Go with an electric drive or install hydraulic with a pump and cylinder - which now gives you redundancy.

As a GB36 owner I agree. I like the cable steering. Better feel and much more reliable over time. Raymarine makes what appears to be a sturdy electric drive motor and autopilot that will fit nicely under the lower helm.

Last edited:
"I like the cable steering. Better feel and much more reliable over time."

YES , super simple nothing that cant be repaired underway or anchored.

Great inexpensive auto pilots.

Everything wears out eventually , if installing new cables check all the pulleys in the system for free turning , Edson has anything you might need.

Last edited:
Hello fellow trawlers.

I’m about to convert my 1975 GB 36 to hydraulic steering. I’m in doubt which cylinder to get. The one I think will do the job is 168 ccm with a maximum rudder pressure of 87 kg. I will link It to a 28 ccm/rev rudderpump which will give 6 revs of the rudder for max port to max starboard.
Do any of you have experience with such a conversion, and what do you think of the setup I’m considering??
Have a nice day.

Lasse

I went through this when planning to build my boat. You need to match the helm pump, the hyraulic cylinder, and the steering line/hose sizes. If they are not matched, you can have to many or to few turns at the wheel to get the rudder to turn. You'll also need to size your wheel for the best torque. It's all explained here.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/marine-hydraulic-steering-systems/

Have you asked the manufacturer of the hydraulic system what you should use? That would be the advice I would pay attention to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom