Pilothouse Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never personally seen tint film on the outside of a widow.

Yeah..funny when I looked up windows...the manufacturers all talked like it was best ion the outside but all the installers seem to discuss inside like you said.

I have seen it outside and it's usually a disaster from improper install I guess.

When we bought our boat, the PO had put dark insect screen material, fixed with press studs all over the saloon windows whether they opened or not. In fact, only one each side opened and actually needed to be screened. So when the material got tatty, I made new fitted screens, (which are much easier to remove for window cleaning as well), just for the windows that needed screens, and the rest are clear, but with curtains we can pull, but also largely now shaded by the new cockpit canopy we extended to both stern corners and right along the side decks sort of like the newer hard-top versions, when the small cockpit canopy was cactus. The most favourable comment from my wife and others was how nice to look out on normal-looking scenery, rather than the darkened view one gets through screens, or I guess tinting also. We found inside the boat a bit brighter, but not annoyingly so, and little different heatwise, and we are in subtropical waters. Certainly, nothing flicking a curtain over the sunny side window did not fix. Just a thought....
Might add weight to the suggestion of later addition of tinting only if proven necessary a good idea, as some others mentioned.

WE built PH window coverings of white Sunbrella.

All summer when the boat is dead , they are inside to help toss some sun back thru the glass, and inside the 50-75K thunder storms cant get them.

In winter , they can be snapped on outside as needed ,when the sun angle is low.

FF

These windows appear to be the original windows on our 1977 34 Californian. We have a dark tint on our side and aft windows and REALLY appreciate the sun protection and limited privacy. The two panels of windshield glass do not appear to be tinted, or if they are, they are a very light tint.

I sometimes operate at night and have never noticed the tint being a problem with visibility. To me, the greatest issue is glare from the interior lights. To combat this, I select red overhead lights aft of the helm for indirect lighting and a small gooseneck led for task lighting.

Here are some pics from outside and inside. You can see there's not too much difference between the windshield and side window views. The shot of the lower helm has the door open so you can see how it appears to look through two panes of the darkened glass.

As you can see from my avatar, I have side sunscreens that I use in the summer. They're pretty easy to see out in the daytime as long as they stay dry. They provide pretty good daytime privacy. At night, the interior lights eliminate that privacy, but we have interior blinds for night privacy. When the sunscreens get wet, they're difficult to see through.

I also have a sunscreen for the windshield, but don't normally operate the boat with that one in place.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
All the windows on Hobo are factory tinted including the pilot house front windows, although not very dark.

Talk to the folks at Diamond Sea Glaze. They are one of the larger marine window manufacters for refits and new construction.

Diamond Sea Glaze

Yes they do come in thicker glass. I'm using 3/8" on salon. 1/2" on the pilot house windows. I maaay go offshore.....

Did you complete your window restoration? How much did it cost? How did it turn out? I'm thinking of pursuing the same project.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi josh. I received the windows from Bomon in Canada but I haven't installed them yet as I am concentrating on the engine room before it gets cold out. The windows that Bomon did for me are awesome and I am so glad I chose them. First rate quality. They're doing my pilot house doors as well. I think about 3k for the cost.

update on the window install?

Unfortunately, the new windows from Bomon still sit on the floor of my shop. They and the Newfound Metal portlights patiently await spring. It's been a brutal winter here in Mass. The boat is covered in snow and snow banks are piled up around it. Bomon did an exceptional job fabricating the salon windows and also on the powder coating. They are building pilot house doors and the front pilot house windows now. I am behind on my schedule, the engine room was meant to be finished by now but life gets in the way.
The website is still up and shows progress up to November 2014. Home Page if any are interested.

Yes but I'd much rather have tinted glass than a film or spray.

You realize any tinting will add heat to the vessel interior?

Great in Mass with cool water , but if you wander on down the southern locations will be warmer!

"I say tint if you are in a hot climate."

GREAT !!! If you like to be broiled , or run the noisemaker and air cond even more.

Tinted windows get HOT , that solar energy has to go someplace, and the glass will radiate the extra energy into the boat.

Easier on your eyes , for sure , but not on your body.

The reflective films , like a movie cracker sheriff sun glasses , can be applied and removed as required.

FF
Here is another data point for those who are considering reflective tint on older windows. We had a film tint guy come to the boat and take measurements for making an estimate. After he did all the work measuring the windows he figured out it was laminated glass. He promptly called he boss and he told him to forget it. They wont put tint on laminated glass. The heat up caused by the reflective material may crack the glass. The energy is reflected back to the laminate between the two sheet of glass and it heats up. He left me samples and I did a test after he left. I put a piece on the window. In direct sun light the glass with the reflective film was very hot. As recall it was 140F while the un-tinted was 90F.
We went with Sunbrella Phifertex covers

Great piece of data there, Dave. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom