Need ID on tank valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
I have one one each tank threaded into the bottom, no connecting hoses I assume they are just drains.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 49
If the boat does not have a sump in its "fuel tank" its just a box for fuel and those valves would be low point drains to get rid of water and dead bugs .

Better than nothing .

I would say that they are for a sight tube that was there at one time. The plugs on the top of the valve are where the nipple used to be. Is there a nipple or the like directly above?

Interesting, sight tube, then perhaps the two can be connected to balance tanks I suppose.

The plugs are there to prevent an accidental discharge in the event that someone turns the valve not knowing what it does. With an open hole, you'd have a fuel leak, and if the bilge pump(s) were automatic, they would gladly pump it overboard.

This makes it an intentional thing, first you unscrew the plug, and hook whatever hose you want on it, and then open the valve.

I would say that they are for a sight tube that was there at one time. The plugs on the top of the valve are where the nipple used to be. Is there a nipple or the like directly above?
I second that thought, if they were for draining the tanks they would be tuned 180 degrees.

I agree as they are they would not get the very bottom of the tank empty.

I'll pickup two nipples and some tubing making them the height of the tanks.

then get two T fittings with a valve between H

if I wanted to equalize the tanks.

My Genny only draws from one tank, so this can be handy

What sealant is to used on the threads?

Thanks for the input

Put me down for sight tubes. I seen a similar set up on a diesel genny tank.

Most people say not to use teflon tape on fuel connections just in case a piece comes off it could block a tube or an injector. Permatex makes a paste that is fuel resistant. I would use it sparingly.

I have been using Leak Lock on the advice from SteveD.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom