Onan 6kw vs Northern lights 6kw genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Csellars

Vessel Name
Kachina
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Any thoughts on how they stack up?

Last edited:
I would guess NL would be a better generator for a higher price. That said, I've been extremely happy overall with my 8KW Onan. IMO, how you take care of it and hours per year will have more to do with your overall satisfaction. Preventative maintenance is everything. If you're idea of PM is fixing broken stuff, probably doesn't matter which you buy.

Ted

Welcome aboard. Northern Lights makes a good genset. I would look at local support as to which brand to buy.

Having had both I don’t think either is better than the other, both have been good with little or no problems. The determining factor to me would be is one easier to do the maintenance than the other.

If you have specific needs, NL will build you a custom genset and they can build to Loyds A1 standard. NL uses the best Diesel engines in class. Now at the 6kw level for a recreational boat the Onan 6kw might be just as good as the NL.

I would need to know which Diesel engine powers each genset to make a proper decision.

I've had both., NL now. Either will do the job for you, properly maintained.

Which model Onan 6kW? New? Older? The NL 6kW is pretty much unchanged over the years but the Onan could be a few different variations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom