View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
klee wyck

City: Seattle and Blaine
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA Jones View Post
Thanks for the note Pete. Experienced boaters...umm... we have two boats. A 1978 O’Day Daysailer II and a 24’ Summit Pontoon boat. So really, I won’t claim to be an experienced boater in the context of a 48 foot Trawler. I can drive a small tractor though...

Our plan is to buy a boat, move to a San Francisco Bay marina and live on it. All my kids and family are already there although not on boats.

Please rate my level of courage/stupidity freely.

RA
We went from 21' to 48' seven years ago. If you are adequately committed and thoughtful, you will do fine. I agree will Pau Hana, hire a training captain and spend enough time with him/her to get reasonably comfortable. It was important for us to schedule time to go out alone close enough after the training sessions to secure some of the new knowledge after it was acquired. Quality of the trainers is important. We had two. I am sure both were decent captains but one was a great trainer and one was not. Keep looking until you find one that you gain from. They are out there and worth what you pay.

Welcome.