Optimum use of CQR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitkofisle

Vessel Name
MITKOF ISLE
Vessel Make
'76 CHB 34' DC
After observing this unorthodox anchoring situation in my marina I thought I'd see what the anchorphiles hereabouts have to say about it.

Does this appear to be the proper and optimum use of a CQR? Would another anchor type be more effective in this application? I'm not sure bottom type comes into play in this instance and it does not appear that a slotted shank would offer any advantage or disadvantage in this case. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the swivel installation could be improved with the addition of a shackle.

While my initial reaction was to identify possible shortcomings in this anchoring arrangement, I find it hard to argue with success as this vessel has held fast through our winter storms with nary an anchor reset.

Any thoughts?

Norm
'76 CHB 34' DC
#6 Forfjord
Poulsbo, WA

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 170
Perhaps it stuck out on the bow too far or it is a new anchor for that boat and it did'nt fit well on the bow roller/pulpit???

Can't tell from the picture if its a genuine CQR or a cheap Chinese knock-off.

It's a booby trap! Just try and steal that dink!

Is that a rope or chain rode? I'm confused!

I have seen several boats that are up close to the dock to meet the slip length requirement have their anchors some what like that, so people to not bang their head on them. :banghead: When we moored on Lake Union our anchor was about head height, so when at dock I had the anchor sitting on the deck with foam and towels around the metal anchor roller thingy. So if they :banghead:, it do not cause to much damage.

It almost looks like the anchor is being used to hold the boat against the dock. Kind of like a large bungee cord except using the weight to pull the bow line in. Of course, I can't see if the bow line is tied off or not...

Anyone worth their salt would know that a Bruce would be much better in this application. But I guess with enough scope, even a CQR can handle this load.

It really makes me wonder, though. What type of windlass...vertical or horizontal?

See, you guys are going thru withdrawal symptoms, just hanging out for another anchor round....sorry..got nothin' to add which would not be Sarcastic...

Anyone worth their salt would know that a Bruce would be much better in this application.

Definitely. The Bruce rules!

On the practical side, I'd be leary as there looks to be unnecessary potential for nicking the hull's gelcoat or paint. There are better solutions for a "bungee" effect.

See, you guys are going thru withdrawal symptoms, just hanging out for another anchor round....sorry..got nothin' to add which would not be Sarcastic...

Ow! Pun too early in a.m. for me. Need coffee.

I think it's a great solution and looks very
nautical for keeping a head knocker off the dock and not having to manually pull your breast line all the time to climb aboard.

I like it! Ensures to make you check the windless operation before leaving the dock, great safety feature.

No! :banghead::banghead:
A CQR is clearly NOT the best solution for this anchoring application. A true old salt knows that a traditional navy style anchor is the proper anchor for this application. The CQR has clearly slipped placement and not properly maintained itself as a cleat as it SHOULD be doing in this application. Case in point, my attached picture. And P.S. YES portlights SHOULD be used to route 30amp shore power chords through as well! Yes...there is a lot going on in this photo. :)

Attachments

• 166gfwy.jpg
    166gfwy.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 153
. Yes...there is a lot going on in this photo. :)

Yes, like, the power chord is too close to the water and dockline isn't neatly coiled, and that boat could use more cleats and or bollard.

img_81841_0_a561b52fb194b5cfe307c01cab206fc6.jpg

Last edited:
dockline not being coiled neat and tight is the least of that guy's problems! ;) :) ;)

Greetings,
I happened along this thread by fluke and am trying to plow my way through. In attempting to grapnel the concept of the posted picture, I suspect Mr./MS. SH nailed it. The aforpictured ground tackle is being used as to hold the boat against the dock. In spite of the gravity of the topic, I think this (gravity) is the elegant answer.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for rank'in on this guy for his lack of yachtyness. One dos'nt need to neatly coil his mooring lines to be a good seaman and any well seasoned boat owner knows a well vented boat is a plus. The power line in the water should'nt be a problem. I've been known to drop the end (w the plug from the shore) in the water but that DOES make me a bit nervous.

RT,
So glas your back. Love your choice of words words fluke, plow and grapnel.

In Alaska we have plenty of untidy boats. I submit the Clara M as untidy but Id love to go to the places she's gone and I'll bet she went quite skillfully as well.

Attachments

• STH71361.jpg
    STH71361.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Greetings,
I happened along this thread by fluke and am trying to plow my way through. In attempting to grapnel the concept of the posted picture, I suspect Mr./MS. SH nailed it. The aforpictured ground tackle is being used as to hold the boat against the dock. In spite of the gravity of the topic, I think this (gravity) is the elegant answer.

Ah, RTF, it would appear that the owner decided to cater nary to conventional docking wisdom...

In Alaska we have plenty of untidy boats. I submit the Clara M as untidy but Id love to go to the places she's gone and I'll bet she went quite skillfully as well.

but that is some-large anchor and heavy chain!

I've been known to drop the end (w the plug from the shore) in the water but that DOES make me a bit nervous.

This "bag of sal****er" (me) fears electricity. :eek:

Now why are there four asterixes when I spelled "salt water" as one word?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Just a hunch but I think t*w*a*t might be considered foul language OR this is a boating site for freshwater boaters only.....

RTF is correct. Some forum application software incorporates foul language filters that look for specific combination of letters, even if the combination occurs in the middle of a longer word. Salt-water is one example.

Even so, it appears to be a Bruce which will drag at some point when it really shouldn't.

And note that the first 10 feet or so of chain is much heavier that the bulk of it. Ideal arrangement but only hand pulling or a drum winch will Handle it.

And note that the first 10 feet or so of chain is much heavier that the bulk of it. Ideal arrangement but only hand pulling or a drum winch will Handle it.

Simply locate the windlass further back, on the deck, extra heavy (bastard) chain would have the entire foredeck to lay out.

If a chain box were directly under , the weight of lots of chain would be in a better location too.

FF

I agree about the CG element. But these drum winches are made out of aluminum and are'nt that heavy. But more importantly the weight of the rode is ideally placed (when deployed) so as to minimize the overall weight and thus get maximum performance from the rode w a minimum amount of weight. Our yachts would look odd w a very commercial looking drum winch so a winch w the wildcat that works both line and chain would seem best for most of us. But all chain would seem more secure to me.

Greetings,
Just a hunch but I think t*w*a*t might be considered foul language OR this is a boating site for freshwater boaters only.....

I believe we have corrected this issue.
-When we go to Beaufort, we are in saltwater.
-My brother generally acts like a ****.

Yep, it appears to work. :angel:

Talking weight of chain Eric, this past weekend I finally got to do something I've considered for some time, and end for ended my chain so the newer-looking end is that which is now in view. What had deterred me originally was firstly getting the swivel off, the bolt was frozen in - had to cut it off in the end and sacrifice it - went back to less-fancy version. Also finding some of the links at the inboard end were so rusty from sitting in a puddle of saltwater, (there we go - Gonzo has definitely fixed the t*w*a*t thing - well done), that I felt I had to remove ~ 4 metres of the last bit (at the bottom of the heap, effectively) of the chain, to be rid of about 10 dodgy rusty links. I carried it to the dumpster in a bucket. Wow, even 4 metres was so heavy the handle broke off and nearly crushed my foot. No wonder all chain is so good for anchoring...you should try it...teh heh...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom