36' trawler how far would you go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend took his GB 38 (yes they about 5 38s)from NZ to Australia non stop, took I think 5-6 days, the Tasman sea can be very tough going, but he had a forecaster giving him constant updates, me, I would be too chicken to try it.

My husband and I just purchased 1972 36' GB and was wondering. Out of San Francisco bay how far would you travel? To Oregon, Mexico or closer like Monterey, San Diego? Posts I've read about people traveling pretty far seems like they are in at least a 42'. :)

Dear friends based Newport Beach CA pre-retirement had a 36' GB, though theirs might have been a bit older than yours, & they cruised Alaska, Baja, both coasts of mainland Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia & the entire East Coast of the U.S. before returning to Florida where they finally sold their boat when the husband was in his late 70's. During a number of those years they also maintained a smaller boat in Hawaii for visits there. Depending on the limits of your own Wanderlust & developing skills, the entire New World is pretty much available to you.

Congrats on your new boat. As you can tell, there a lot of people who love their GBs and deservedly so.

I also like to travel at night for longer runs. I don’t sleep much during my off watch, but it’s worth it and I really enjoy the peacefulness and serenity of the night.

I am currently planning a trip to the central coast from San Diego in early Spring. It’s the windiest time of year. Weather permitting, I would like to run 24 to 30 hours straight on the first leg. On the way back, with hopefully following seas and winds, I am planning on shorter day trips and stopping at anchorages or marinas.

Some of my trips are solo (daytime solo, because I want another person aboard for night runs), so I pay careful attention to the forecasts, but we all know how these can go.

36 as far as you are prepared to go

We have trawlers x2. 36,40. The 40 , My wife and I cruised from San Diego to Puerto Vallarta. Currently the 36 is in transit from San Diego to WA. Layover in Bay Area. We use the 36 in the summer months. We will pickup the forty in late Dec. and cruise Southern MX. through May. It’s all about the WEATHER WIDOW, and planning. We have been in dangerous conditions with both boats and they always take care of us. In my opinion you have a great boat. Take care of Her . She will take-care of you.

My husband and I just purchased 1972 36' GB and was wondering. Out of San Francisco bay how far would you travel? To Oregon, Mexico or closer like Monterey, San Diego? Posts I've read about people traveling pretty far seems like they are in at least a 42'. :)

Mine is a 42 but I’m not sure the extra six feet matters. Next summer it’s going from Long Beach CA up the coast to Anacortes WA or nearby. The next summer to Alaska and back to the Puget Sound. I plan to allow lots of time headed north to Washington to find good weather windows.

We cruised in the Hawaiian Islands in a 1972 GB36. Single Screw, 570 gallons of fuel, 120 fresh water. Inter island could get rough, she rolled in a beam sea, but we never felt she was un-seaworthy, just uncomfortable at times. No stabilizers. Personally I would feel comfortable, watching the WX with going from Alaska to Mexico in a well found GB36.

"Now, will someone please tell me how far out into the ocean a coastal cruiser can go."

When boarding waves knock loose the storm ports over the glass area , or knock loose the deck house , you may have gone too far out.

By choosing a doldrums route ,at the right time of year,, if you have the endurance an Atlantic crossing can be made.

Coming from Euroland , waiting for the Christmas winds will help speed and ride , but takes hand steering or a really great auto pilot to handle big waves from astern..

When boarding waves knock loose the storm ports over the glass area , or knock loose the deck house , you may have gone too far out.

Coming from Euroland , waiting for the Christmas winds will help speed and ride , but takes hand steering or a really great auto pilot to handle big waves from astern..

The first statement is a touch of an embellishment isn't it Fred? How many stories of ANY modern glass boats have you heard that the " House was knocked loose" ?

And most modern autopilots built after the 1980's will handle big waves at sea from the stern just fine.

HOLLYWOOD

And most modern autopilots built after the 1980's will handle big waves at sea from the stern just fine.

Since I believe the subject here is "big following seas, ie. storm or survival conditions", then actually I don't think any of them will, not because there's anything wrong with today's electronic APs, but because the majority of boats out there don't have the stern shape or buttock lines to handle big seas from astern or quartering.

The ones that can would likely be your KKs, Nordies or a classic with a canoe or round stern, all of which account for maybe less than 1% of the boat population out there.

I was at the helm of my buddy's Mainship, trolling at 4 knots, and the little 4ft following seas were pushing our ass all over the place. I had to accelerate to 6+ knots just to get some rudder control (which of course pissed off the fishermen :)). I clearly remember when I had my big Bluewater cruiser, having to take it off AP and then just hand steer in those freakin' crazy seas off Oregon.

Last edited:
As Makobuilders points out, a lot of hull shapes (especially when combined with small rudders) don't do well with following seas when the seas are running faster than the boat.

My boat, for example, can be a handful at low speed in even 3 foot following seas. Pick up a little speed for more water over the rudders and it gets better. Pick up enough speed to keep pace with the waves and things become pretty easy. Depending on the angle you're taking them at, wave spacing, etc. running faster than the waves and surfing down them can be pretty easy at the helm as well.

Basically, for boats with a hull design and rudder size that doesn't lend itself to good following sea performance, IMO the best defense is having enough power to make good speed.

IMO, a GB 36 should be able do most any coastwise cruising. It isn’t an offshore ocean crossing boat. Although someone could probably do it but it wouldn’t be a good choice for that, but how many people actually do that? A GB will be a wetter boat than some other trawlers due to the lack of flare in the bow but that isn’t a real big issue, just have good windshield wipers...

I have owned a 1970 Willard 36 trawler for 20+ years. Last year, my wife and I and a third crew took her nonstop from San Francisco to Ensenada MX, 500 nms. Trip took 75-hrs and we had a blast. Late September through October is a known seasonal weather window along the coast. We are having a refit done in Mexico - from there we will likely head back north next spring to SE Alaska, then return south and slowly make our way to our home in Florida. I have moderated the Willard owners group for over 20-years and have collected a ton of history on these 36-footers. In the 1960s, owners were venturing long distances, even the galapogos islands. In 1987, a Willard 36 went to Hawaii. In 2005, I was aboard a friend's Willard 40 for the Baja Ha Ha as one of four powerboats - one of the other three was a classic 37-foot Taiwan trawler of 1970s vintage. Finally, I know of a 1972 Willard 30 that went from Ventura CA to Olympia WA this summer as the owner relocated.

If you don't already possess, a cruiser needs two fundamental skills: a modicum of experience which you can initiate with trips to Drakes Bay and Half Moon Bay. And weather forecasting - there are some great tools now, though many require a fee.

In my opinion, transiting the pacific coast doing day trips on a slow boat is impractical and stressful, so running at night is part of the practical experience that has to be acquired. A lot changed at night - 95% of which is mental. Boat movement feels accentuated. Plates rattling in the cupboard are amplified.

You now own what I consider to be the quintessential family trawler - the GB36. It is small enough to be super easy to operate in close quarters but big enough to really take you distances. There is a zen and finesse to GBs that is often copied but never replicated - they handle so very nicely. The GB36 has to be a Top 5 design of all time. Congrats.

Suffice to say your boat is capable of serious coastal cruising from Alaska to Maine, including the Caribbean. The limiting factor will be the people aboard. I will say that I've transited the coast 35-40 times, almost always northbound (mostly as a deliver skipper in the early 2000s). Getting out the Gate is a mental block. My typical strategy was to leave before first light when seas were at their flattest. For some reason, there was always stronger winds than expected getting out the Gate, and I always second guessed my decision to leave. But within an hour or two, seas would (usually) lay down to predicted weather.

All the above said, as another poster said, we loved the Delta and went as far as Sacramento a couple times. It's where I learned to truly read a tide chart.

Great advice above in the thread. We would move the boat down river the night before, put the family to bed and I would wake early and get underway well before sun up. The family wakes and we have already covered a lot of miles which makes a huge difference .. Another comment, you will know how far you can go. As in every GB36 is different and you will have a "feel" on how well you trust the boat. Trust is earned by slowly increasing the scale of each adventure. What one owner would do is quite different to another...

"How many stories of ANY modern glass boats have you heard that the " House was knocked loose" ?"

The question was for an Asian power boat , probably 20+ years old, maybe 30 or 40..

AS few go further offshore than coastal, in nice weather, damage is seldom seen.
How many have actually had a good sized wave flop on board?

The scantlings for ocean work are most of the reason an offshore boat costs 3x as much as an alongshore boat.

A 3/4 inch PH window does cost more than a sheet of auto glass and some wood for a frame.

Last edited:
A 3/4 inch PH window does cost more than a sheet of auto glass and some wood for a frame.

I would like a spinning wiper system but for the cost .....
I priced-out putting one on my N46 and the cost really discouraged me.

Yes to what OlDan said. Common sense, even with years of skill and experience must always prevail.

SMIRK
Gotta go out far enough pump the sanitary tank.

On a beautiful clear sunny day when you have lost sight of the last mountain top, you need to ask yourself, how much further to the good fishing grounds.

A 36 Willard has gone from CA to HI and back...

I have a Nordic Tugs32 and all the locations you mentioned are reasonable. You need to gain experience and make sure all systems are in great shape and carry tools and spare parts. Get Sea Tow or equivalent and pick good weather windows.

I would like a spinning wiper system but for the cost .....
I priced-out putting one on my N46 and the cost really discouraged me.

Dan, try sailing for long hours using a clearview, peering through a few square inches of glass - personally I think they're horrible.

If you have the money to spend then buy a linear wiper, but nothing really beats the value of a good ole pantograph.

Dan, try sailing for long hours using a clearview, peering through a few square inches of glass - personally I think they're horrible.

If you have the money to spend then buy a linear wiper, but nothing really beats the value of a good ole pantograph.

A good friend has a clearview. He will wax on about how seldom it gets turned on, and how much it impedes the view the rest of the time.

A good friend has a clearview. He will wax on about how seldom it gets turned on, and how much it impedes the view the rest of the time.

This was back when I had my stabilized 46N. Now, with my 34AT, there is no reason to be out in the weather and green water waves that was up against the pilot house.

GB 36 cruising

We love our GB 36. However it is not an “ocean going” boat. Wasn’t designed to be. That doesn’t mean we don’t travel in the ocean. You can go anywhere with half decent weather. Go as far as you would like. It’s a perfect boat for coastal cruising with the availability of places to tuck in when bad weather is expected. And it’s a pretty damn solid coastal cruiser by the way.

Totally agree. Lot's of folks would travel from San Fran to Mexico in that boat. I wouldn't. Not because the boat couldn't take it, it's me, not the boat. It wasn't designed to do that type of cruising. I constantly tell people, "Determine what type of boating you are really going to do then buy the boat that fits that requirement. Don't buy a pretty boat you like an try to make it do something it wasn't designed to do". Just my thoughts.

Great boat. I love ours but it's a Bay, ICW, Coastal Cruiser.

Totally agree. Lot's of folks would travel from San Fran to Mexico in that boat. I wouldn't. Not because the boat couldn't take it, it's me, not the boat. It wasn't designed to do that type of cruising.....Great boat. I love ours but it's a Bay, ICW, Coastal Cruiser.

While I respect your decision for your circumstances and appetite, I believe this boat - with 400 gallons of diesel and well over 1500 nms range - works fine for modest coastal cruising. I've been northbound between Cabo and Seattle several dozen times on a variety of boats. For normal conditions (which aren't great due to strong afternoon NW winds), I wouldn't hesitate to take a GB36 north as long as I wasn't on a full delivery schedule, but this is my preference on any boat under 50-feet or so. The major issue is spray and water intrusion (common to most boats); and tons of bouncing around so anything that isn't secured rattles and makes the occupants nervous. She's a wetter boat than some, but a solid boat.

She may not be my first choice for heading north 1000 miles along the Pacific Coast (bigger is better), but my first choice is too expensive to be practical for cruising on my budget. Let's face it, 80% of the time underway is nice, 20% can be bouncy. And underway is less than 5% of the time cruisers spend.

Last edited:
GB 36 cruising

While I respect your decision for your circumstances and appetite, I believe this boat - with 400 gallons of diesel and well over 1500 nms range - works fine for modest coastal cruising. I've been northbound between Cabo and Seattle several dozen times on a variety of boats. For normal conditions (which aren't great due to strong afternoon NW winds), I wouldn't hesitate to take a GB36 north as long as I wasn't on a full delivery schedule, but this is my preference on any boat under 50-feet or so. The major issue is spray so water intrusion is an issue with all boats; and tons of bouncing around so anything that isn't secured rattles and makes the occupants nervous. She's a wetter boat than some, but a solid boat.

She may not be my first choice for heading north 1000 miles along the Pacific Coast (bigger is better), but my first choice is too expensive to be practical for cruising on my budget. Let's face it, 80% of the time underway is nice, 20% can be bouncy. And underway is less than 5% of the time cruisers spend.

I don't completely disagree with you. My West Coast experience is only Oceanside to San Diego and all around Puget Sound, so I don't have your experience, but I do own a GB 36 Classic, which I love (most of the time).

I really don't consider up and down the West Coast "coastal cruising" in the truest sense of the word. Conditions there can get pretty bad pretty quickly and you can wind up a lot of miles away from a safe harbor. It's more like "blue water cruising, lite".

For people new to cruising, having just bought a GB 36 and launching off on a cruise up or down the West Coast I can predict their first two days.

Day one: Beautiful blue skies, mirror calm Pacific, Short 50 mile cruise from start to first port of call. "Man, I'm glad we bought this boat"!

Day two: Longer leg. 12 hours of 4-5 ft beam seas. Boat listed for sale at first marina they can get to.

Unless you have unlimited time to wait out weather and sea conditions, this isn't a boat I would choose for that kind of long distance cruising.

Day one: Beautiful blue skies, mirror calm Pacific, Short 50 mile cruise from start to first port of call. "Man, I'm glad we bought this boat"!

Day two: Longer leg. 12 hours of 4-5 ft beam seas. Boat listed for sale at first marina they can get to.

Full disclosure, until 2004, I was a delivery skipper, mostly delivering Nordhavns. I'm here to tell you that in beam seas, like-for-like in size, a sailboat is a better choice. Bigger is always better. The GB36 can be stabilized for around $30k but any boat under 50-feet or so will not be comfortable in 5-foot beam seas - stabilization makes it better, but not perfect. From my perspective, the GB36 is as good (or bad) as anything else. I'd rather be on a N40 because they are watertight and have a fantastic engine room, but for all around usage, tough to beat the GB36 in the size range. But I have to admit, I've had a boat-crush on the GB36 for years. GB makes a really nice boat, great lines, and the 36 is a great size for general use.

To the OP - my take on this thread is you are limited by your comfort and skills. Your boat will not limit you at this point. If you decide to cross oceans, different topic.

Last edited:
GB 36 cruising

Full disclosure, until 2004, I was a delivery skipper, mostly delivering Nordhavns. I'm here to tell you that in beam seas, like-for-like in size, a sailboat is a better choice. Bigger is always better. The GB36 can be stabilized for around $30k but any boat under 50-feet or so will not be comfortable in 5-foot beam seas - stabilization makes it better, but not perfect. From my perspective, the GB36 is as good (or bad) as anything else. I'd rather be on a N40 because they are watertight and have a fantastic engine room, but for all around usage, tough to beat the GB36 in the size range.

To the OP - my take on this thread is you are limited by your comfort and skills. Your boat will not limit you at this point. If you decide to cross oceans, different topic.

Agree, for all around usage, tough to beat the GB 36. That's why I own one.
Don't understand the "To the OP" comment.

Ah the joys of the east coast ICW. I cant think of any reason to go outside. I recall one body of water that could get rough if crossed in the middle but, one can move closer to shore if you need comfort.

GB 36 cruising

Ah the joys of the east coast ICW. I cant think of any reason to go outside. I recall one body of water that could get rough if crossed in the middle but, one can move closer to shore if you need comfort.

My boat is in P'cola so I have Mobile Bay, Perdido, Pensacola Bay, Chowtawatchee Bay and the entire ICW. Love it. I have, however, spent much time on the East Coast ICW and it's estuaries. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom