De-winterize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I had all systems on my boat requiring winterization done in Jan. by the yard guys. It appears I will not be able to launch her until Oct.
Should any of the systems be "de-winterized" for the spring/summer? The boat is located in S Carolina. KJ

The winterizing should be ok as is.
I would ask though what have you done for ventilation? Without proper ventilation many boats can be damaged from humidity and the resulting mildew. Not the structure itself but the furnishings, cabinetry and so on.

Don't know. I'll have to ask the yard guy if he left anything open. Thanks. KJ

"Without proper ventilation many boats can be damaged from humidity and the resulting mildew."

Here in FL the dead boats all summer frequently have big mildew problems.

If power is provided by solar a DC Ozone unit works.

A de humidifier will run about $3.00 per day , so is out for most.

Best so far is a 12 inch turbine vent , as a replacement for a high hatch.

If you are cutting a new hole , purchase a RV Fantastic fan vent (about $100 -$175)) a 14x14 hole and when the boat is underway slip on the RV fan.

The pricy version has a thermostat and will open at a set temp, A rain sensor will close it till its dry outside. Under 3A on high , really minor DC use on slow .

Not for the constantly awash deck hatch of a sail boat ,
but on a PH top for most cruisers , a wave should not take it away!

ON Our 90/90 we pulled the hatch boards and built a 16x16 box on a sheet of ply that simply drops in. Top of box is level , to make up for companionway angle.

Turbine on top, huge vent hole to companionway . and rain during a hurricane drops into the box ,and out, not into boat itself.

FF

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom